WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Southern Terminus to Franklin NC - April 23 - 29th

Hello all. I'm extremely excited to finally have a solid plan in place to hike the first 100ish miles of the AT in April. My goal is to get to Franklin, NC in a week. I'm flying from St. Louis into Atlanta and plan to take a shuttle and stay near the start of the trail. I'll start early the next day have to really make some good time to get there in time. I don't plan to do the approach trail.

I'm looking for any and all feedback, tips, recommendations, or general advice here.

Thanks all!
    Brian

Do you have the full 7 days or do you loose 2 days to traveling? If you have the full 7 days, 109 miles isn't too unreasonable, about 15 miles a day. Okay for someone in good shape right out of the box and you don't get massive blisters 3 days in. Every other shelter is spaced about 15 miles in that area which works out nicely.

If you really only have 5 days, now your talking 20 mile days and to do that you'll have to be camping between shelters. Not a big deal, but less convenient.

Also, carrying 7 or even 5 days worth of food is pretty heavy starting out. You can resupply a couple of times in that stretch, but that slows you down and you effectively loose a day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you find you're running late at the end of the week, the "fishhook" that the trail does when it enters NC allows for an early exit point, if necessary - you can bail at Deep Gap and hike the gravel FS road (7 miles or so?) to Hwy 64 (i.e., to a point a few miles west of Winding Stair gap, which I assume is your planned exit point), or take the Kimsey Creek trail down into Standing Indian campground. Either way and you would miss Standing Indian and Albert Mtns (and its firetower), which would be highpoints of this section, but would cut 25 miles off your total and thus may be reassuring to know you've got option.s

if you have the time, about 2.7 miles into NC you'll pass the Ravenrock spur trail on your left - half mile or so leads to a good Western view from a rocky outcropping - but perhaps more interesting (if morbid) are the remnants of a Cessna plane crash from the early '70's along the spur trail.

Be sure to grab a celebratory brew at the Lazy Hiker in Franklin!

Since you ask for recommendations, I advise not trying to carry seven days worth of food. You can resupply at mile 32 at Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap, right on the trail, or you can resupply at mile 70 at Top of Georgia Hostel, just a half mile road walk or shuttle from the AT at Dicks Creek Gap, or you can resupply at both places and never have to carry more than 2.5 days worth of food. Both places will sell you the basics in backpacker preferred food (at a bit of a premium) so if you are pressed for time you can be in and out of those places pretty fast (or spend the night at either place if the mileages happen to work out right for you). Both places will also hold packages if you want to send your own pre-selected food and have it waiting for you.

I hiked from Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center (yes, I did the approach trail) to Franklin in eight days in May 2016. Started with three days food, then resupplied at Neels Gap (with a food drop) for the last five days of the hike. I averaged the same 15 miles a day that you will need to and found it to be a pleasant pace for me. It's impossible to know if that's the right pace for you.
    Last edited by map man; 01-24-2017 at 20:29.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

I started my thru attempt at the Approach Trail (mid day) and on my 8th day, ended up in Franklin. At the time, was pretty aggressive for me but not for someone who's at least in somewhat good shape. I agree, resupply at Neel Gap, they've got everything you'll need, shelters and camping spots are pretty much everywhere.
    - Trail name: Thumper

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bschrock82 View Post
    Hello all. I'm extremely excited to finally have a solid plan in place to hike the first 100ish miles of the AT in April. My goal is to get to Franklin, NC in a week. I'm flying from St. Louis into Atlanta and plan to take a shuttle and stay near the start of the trail. I'll start early the next day have to really make some good time to get there in time. I don't plan to do the approach trail.

I'm looking for any and all feedback, tips, recommendations, or general advice here.

Thanks all!
    Brian
    You are a flatlander, but you are young. However, you've chosen a premium time to hit the trail at a premium location. Especially if it is the first week of April. If you don't have reservations for Hiker Hostel or something else in Dahlonega by now, you may just be fooked. I would start calling around ASAP.

Also, while a string of seven consecutive 15 mile days on this section is certainly doable, it is certainly not doable for somebody who is out of shape and not used to hiking up and down mountains all day, every day. Well, at least not doable and enjoyable. Here's a good test. Load up your pack as if you were on the trail. Same weight. Go to the Lewis and Clark trail at Weldon Springs and hike the Lewis trail for 8.2 miles. Then stop and have lunch at your car. Then see if you feel like doing it again, right then. If you don't, you aren't going to enjoy your trip to the AT. Even if you do feel like it, go do it again, right then. After the second loop, see how you feel the next day and ask yourself the key question "Do I WANT to go back and hike another two loops today?" If the answer is "NO", then the AT isn't for you...just sayin...

Another good workout, and one that more closely resembles the AT is the 6.3 mile loop at Pere Marquette SP in Grafton, IL. Do that two times and see if you are in the mood for another lap. If not, then the AT isn't for you...just sayin...

I'm not being harsh, just realistic. You want to have a fun hike. It's not a fun hike when you are struggling with a self-imposed mandatory mileage goal, bad weather, and poor physical training. You are likely to have one or two days, minimum, of fairly solid rain. In order to bag seven consecutive 15 mile days in that section, you are going to need to be bagging no less than 20 and preferably 30 miles a week with a full pack on tough trails like Lewis or Pere Marquette from now until then. Anything less and you are setting yourself up for a disappointing trek...

Oooops. Did not see your dates in the header. Those dates shouldn't be so crowded...the weather should warmer but wet...

Thanks to all for the feedback, recommendations, and everything else. I will say that I'm in good shape and certainly up for this challenge. I'm a marathon runner and do my fair share of hiking trips....but mostly in the midwest, so I'm not used to the ups and downs of the AT. I've pushed over 25 miles in a day, so I think I could tough through this. However, I also want to enjoy my first hike on the AT. I will be spending some time thinking about this.....maybe I push for 80 or so miles total.

To answer some questions - I start hiking on April 24th and want to fly out on the 29th. So I really have 5 days of hiking.

I have a reservation in Dahlonega at a cheap motel, so I'm covered there.

I plan to resupply at Mountain Crossings and then again near Dicks Creek Gap.

Sounds like I'll need to make sure I bring my rain gear.

Thanks all!
    Brian

Ummm..yeah...+10 on the rain gear in April in GA...

Realistically, marathon runner or not, you aren't going to be able to bag 5 consecutive 20 mile days in Georgia. Not with a full pack. Not without up and down experience. Aint gonna happen. I'll put money on it. As it is, you are going to have to bag 5 consecutive 15 mile days to get from Springer to Blue Ridge Gap(Mile 73.3) in your allotted time.

Seriously, go over to Pere Marquette and do two loops and see if you feel like a third. Or, just yo-yo up and down Ravine trail there for 10 miles worth and see how it feels. Ravine trail is essentially a 350 foot climb in .5 mile. Do 10 laps on Ravine and that is almost exactly what 10 miles anywhere on the AT in Georgia feels like... It is way different than running...unless you enjoy pain... http://www.teamgodzilla.org/index.ph...&id=1&Itemid=3

Quote Originally Posted by Bschrock82 View Post
    ...I start hiking on April 24th and want to fly out on the 29th. So I really have 5 days of hiking.
    Ouch, 5 days to get to Franklin? That's one tough and taxing order for this section. Good news is, there's a few good places along the way to get off trail if need be and catch a ride to wherever.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Now I understand your name. Thanks for the dose of reality!

I am doing this exact section hike first week of April. I took the entire week off, so with the bumper weekends I have up to 9 days to complete my trek, but would like to do it in 7 or less. I am fortunate in that I have the Priest SOBO and Three Ridges in my backyard and practice there often. Still working out logistics, but I can't wait! My plan is to hike the entire AT section by section, in order.

I can totally understand where your coming from and what you want to accomplish. Originally, before my summer hike last year my goal was to to get to Erwin in 21 days. Lofty, but possible! The Mountains WILL humble you and your ambitions. 15 a day is well within reach, but unless your doing a Thru you'll quickly discover it becomes less about the miles per day and more about the experience... Especially the people you meet along the way. I did 15 per, and finished with a 20 right before Helen. After that, the miles became meaningless. I ended up getting to Franklin in about 11 days and got off the trail shortly after. Maybe its just me.. Maybe your more purpose and goal driven and if so.. awesome! My advice is this. ENJOY your time on the trail and don't underestimate GA. God speed.

Journal Entries

Go for it

Have plan B just in case

Not unreasonable in shape with light pack

Many sobos are doing 25's for comparison thru that area
    Whether you can, is a different question.
    Plan long days, dark-to-dark ,and no problem if not get injured
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-13-2017 at 01:34.

Images

Default Southern Terminus to Franklin NC - April 23 - 29th

there are plenty of places to get off the trail along there. Just get started and walk until you don't feel like wearing. enjoy!

++ New Posts ++