WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Briefs or Boxer Briefs

I have spent all my adult life in regular briefs but I keep hearing about chaffing of the thighs on long hikes. I've been backpacking for 40 years but not the daily grind of a thru hike. I doubt there is any scientific data but just trying to get a feel if boxer briefs are an absolute necessity and if so 6" vs 9"? Also would like to hear from those that completed the trail in briefs. Obviously I can switch along the trail if necessary. Thanks so much for any input. This forum is awesome!

I always were UA boxerjock's with a 9" inseam when hiking. I had terrible issues with thigh chaffing prior to making the switch.

I've been moving to the Ex Officio boxer briefs from the Terramar boxer briefs...I like the Ex Officio fabric better...ahem...down there.....just sayin...

Which ever is more comfortable for you... I prefer running shorts. My key to no-chaffing is Body Glide.

For me, the hotter it is, the worse it is for chaffing. The briefs that work best for me is non-cotton, tight fitting, mid-thigh. The chemistry of unwashed, wet briefs is a very high ph. For me it's not a rubbing issue so much as a alkaline burned sensitive skin issue. When I have this issue the medicine I like best is, Baby diaper rash cream. It's a antiseptic that repels moisture, lowers the ph and has the added benefit of a pain killer to make the baby (and me) shut up.

I think more often than not, hikers find that non-loose form-fitting boxers are less likely to lead to chafing than bare thighs in briefs. YMMV; there is no substitute for one's own experience. Keeping yourself and undergarments clean by washing yourself (daily if possible) and laundering garments on trail (wear one pair, dry another on the outside of your pack while you hike) add to chafing defense. I personally find that powders and such are much less helpful. Overheard on trail: "I've been trying that G--d B--d powder; all I'm doing is making gravy down there". Just sayin . . .
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I like wearing the terramar boxer briefs.
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Images

Depends......

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I always were UA boxerjock's with a 9" inseam when hiking. I had terrible issues with thigh chaffing prior to making the switch.
    God Bless You Ktaadn!!

I had the normal ExOfficio briefs with a 6 inch inseam last year for the first 300 miles. I had major chafing issues with the skin right below them and constantly had to unzip and stretch them down every hour or so, along with medicating the skin with body glide.

You just gave me an epiphany! I ordered 2x 9 inch seams just a minute ago online and I think that should solve the entire problem right there! All the outfitters I visited only carried the 6 inch ones, and I had no idea they made a 9! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Depends......
    That'll get ya some darn fine Monkey Butt right there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    God Bless You Ktaadn!!

I had the normal ExOfficio briefs with a 6 inch inseam last year for the first 300 miles. I had major chafing issues with the skin right below them and constantly had to unzip and stretch them down every hour or so, along with medicating the skin with body glide.

You just gave me an epiphany! I ordered 2x 9 inch seams just a minute ago online and I think that should solve the entire problem right there! All the outfitters I visited only carried the 6 inch ones, and I had no idea they made a 9! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
    Ex Officio has them in 9 inch inseams as well...

http://exofficio.com/mens-underwear-...r=5673#start=1

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    This ......^

Images

None of the above.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Once you've lost enough weight that your thighs don't rub together it won't be an issue. I wore boxer shorts and carried baby powder from Neels gap northward. You need to get some air down there and dry out.

Neither. Free Willy!

Carl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Depends......
    Depends are for old folks

Okay you haven't done a through hike of this length, neither have I my longest is only 648 kms. But from everything I have read and seen really the AT is just a series of 4-5 day walks. If you have done one of those and your clothes gave you no problems, wash and start another 4-5 day walk. If you haven't done a 4-5 day walk, then go and do one before you start the AT.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Okay you haven't done a through hike of this length, neither have I my longest is only 648 kms. But from everything I have read and seen really the AT is just a series of 4-5 day walks. If you have done one of those and your clothes gave you no problems, wash and start another 4-5 day walk. If you haven't done a 4-5 day walk, then go and do one before you start the AT.
    That's an oversimplification. You can look at it like a series of 4-5 day walks, but you don't have much if any recuperation time. For the record, I wore UA 9 inch inseam on my thru hike and had no chaffing problems.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperslug View Post
    I have spent all my adult life in regular briefs but I keep hearing about chaffing of the thighs on long hikes. I've been backpacking for 40 years but not the daily grind of a thru hike. I doubt there is any scientific data but just trying to get a feel if boxer briefs are an absolute necessity and if so 6" vs 9"? Also would like to hear from those that completed the trail in briefs. Obviously I can switch along the trail if necessary. Thanks so much for any input. This forum is awesome!
    Here's my experience:

Suffered the chafed legs no matter the activity or underdrawers worn. Then I tried these a few years back:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bcg-...ldCatid=256321

My chafing days ended right then and there.

I'm not crazy about 'me being from China. But the product changed my exercise world!

I grab them for ANY outdoor activity (yard work, backpacking, skating ...) Trust me, I live in one of the SE's humidity cookers, have too much European ancestry, and sweat PROFUSELY. Haven't chafed in years.

Just my experience.

GAME 06

For over 10 years now and some 15,000 miles I have worn the typical Nike loose running shorts or swimming trunks with nothing underneath and about 9" long. I can't remember ever having chafing on the thighs this way. Unlike many I don't worry that much about washing them or cleaning them either. On the AT you get rained on so often they are always getting rinsed out. I rinse them with stream water as the opportunity presents itself (no not in the stream btw). Same with my wicking shirt. Washing only when I stop in town.

Briefs of any kind hold more moisture than just letting the junk hang there and get dried from the breeze.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++