WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do I Really Need a Pack Liner?

I have a Osprey Exos 58 (without the brain) as my pack. I like it a lot. My setup is that I am using waterproof stuff sacks for my sleep system, clothes, etc. I also have my pack lined with a trash compactor bag. I have nothing on the outside of my pack that needs to stay dry. My question is: "Do I really need a pack liner?"

Thanks for your input/advice.

You already have one...

But, if you are asking if a liner dry bag is HELPFUL, my answer is YES, certainly more so than a compactor bag. A liner dry bag will let you "solidify" your gear into one "unit" that won't shift, rattle and roll while hiking/climbing. I use the Sea to Summit eVent dry sack. 20L for my 35L pack and 35L for my 62L pack...

I started my hike with a new Exos 48, it was waterproof, and I probably didn't need the compactor bag. Although, on rainy days, I'd stuff a wet bandana, or semi muddy camp shoes between the pack wall and compactor bag full of gear.

I did use the compactor bag with a little nozzle to inflate my sleeping pad, and also used it to cover my feet when some high winds were tossing some rain into the tent sideways.

My pack was stuffed so tight, there was nothing to shake rattle or roll. Overall, it was well worth bringing.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

No, you don't need it; it gets in the way. Do you have a pack cover?

Images

Do you mean pack cover? I never use one of those, except a blaze orange one during hunting season. A trash compactor bag is the way to go IMHO.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Trash bag for liner and Packa for cover. It's the water proof stuff sacks I think are a waste.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Whats your definition of "need"?

No, dont need it
    Its the best thing to keep your gear dry however
    Might find you.....appreciate it

Sorry, I meant pack cover. Now knowing that, do you all think I need one?

I wouldn't think so. I used the compactor bag and not once did anything get wet that I didn't want to. I only have the cheapo stuff sacks from Walmart for my bag, clothes, and extras.
    - Trail name: Thumper

I've been backpacking for almost 50 years. Never had a pack cover. Used a poncho. Never had a problem. I now use a Packa, mostly to keep me dry.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Do you mean pack cover? I never use one of those, except a blaze orange one during hunting season. A trash compactor bag is the way to go IMHO.
    +1 This is the best solution.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

A pack cover is a viable option for extended periods of rain. It isn't so much keeping the inside of the pack dry(you should never, ever, ever, ever rely on a pack cover to accomplish THAT), as it is keeping the fabric of the pack from absorbing water and....weighing you down. Also, wet fabric tends to stretch...

Finally, a pack cover in freezing rain or snow is nice to keep the zippers from freezing...YMMV....

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    A pack cover is a viable option for extended periods of rain. It isn't so much keeping the inside of the pack dry(you should never, ever, ever, ever rely on a pack cover to accomplish THAT), as it is keeping the fabric of the pack from absorbing water and....weighing you down. Also, wet fabric tends to stretch...

Finally, a pack cover in freezing rain or snow is nice to keep the zippers from freezing...YMMV....
    +1 on this. I use pack covers fairly routinely for these reasons. If you have an Osprey or other pack that provides a breathable space between the pack an you back, a cover tends to work better to keep the pack itself dry (or as dry as possible). The heavy trash compactor bag (unscented) are invaluable in keeping things dry you don't want to get wet like down wear, sleeping bags, and clothing.

Images

the reason I went with Packs was that it was rain gear, wind gear, foot cover on hammock, pack cover and even carried water in it up from stream. makes a nice pillow also.

Images

the reason I went with Packa was that it was rain gear, wind gear, foot cover on hammock, pack cover and even carried water in it up from stream. makes a nice pillow also.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

Exactly this. You hit all the points. My pack cover keeps the fabric of my pack from getting soaked . . . and heavier. Plus, it's vital in the winter to keep the pack fabric from freezing solid at night (after it gets wet during the day w/o a cover) and Oh---frozen zippers suck!! Like boots, packs when wet will freeze solid thru the night in cold temps, causing the straps to not work and the zippers to be useless.

Images

Just my own method, seems to work great, never had an important piece of gear get wet in roughly 50 years of backpacking: I do use a pack cover as a "first line" of defense, keeps maybe 90% of the rain off my pack and gear, and like others have said, it's nice to keep the pack itself mostly dry. If I had a cuben fiber pack, I'd reconsider. But my pack cover, a zpacks cuben item, weighs about 1.4 ounces or so, worth the weight to me for this first line.

Then I also use a 2.5-3 ounce pack liner, the good old trash compactor bag. I find the original bags a tad tall for my pack and gear, so I cut off 4-6" or so. Only those things vital to stay absolutely dry go into this bag; sleeping bag and clothes. Above that in my pack goes my stove, food bag and a mostly-waterproof, zipped ditty bag with everything else. In a major rain day, this ditty bag might get a tad damp on the outside from pack cover leakage, but the contents stay dry. PAck cover leakage comes from your back region, so I try to keep this ditty bag far from my back. I don't care if my food bag gets wet, nor my stove/cup/spoon/fuel canister.

Again, just my proven (to me) method, adopted a couple decades ago and tweeked to what I said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Exactly this. You hit all the points. My pack cover keeps the fabric of my pack from getting soaked . . . and heavier. Plus, it's vital in the winter to keep the pack fabric from freezing solid at night (after it gets wet during the day w/o a cover) and Oh---frozen zippers suck!! Like boots, packs when wet will freeze solid thru the night in cold temps, causing the straps to not work and the zippers to be useless.
    Tipi u could shave lil weight...just use the hilleberg fly to cover that small pack off yours....we know your a gram weenie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Tipi u could shave lil weight...just use the hilleberg fly to cover that small pack off yours....we know your a gram weenie!

Heck I use the entire tent as both a body condom and a rain jacket and also a pack cover---

What do people who use a pack cover do when you have a sleeping pad you need to attach to the outside of your pack? Cut small slits for the straps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++