WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Default Backpacker Gear Guide

The new gear guide is out.........and thank God it's my last pre-paid issue. You can almost hear the gavel drop, SOLD!PAGE SPACE AND AWARDS, GIVEN TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER OK, that may be a little dramatic but that's how I feel reading it. I have saved old gear guide issues and always look foreward to this time of year along with the AT migration north. Brand name gear just doesn't seem to do it for me like the made in the USA,garage assembled, regular guy and gal hiker tested R&D. I guess Backpacker could'nt make enough money off one issue like that or could it?
    I think I'm just still ticked about the Honda M.C add they ran last month.

Images

backpacker sucks,the gear guide sucks,they never list any hammock gear either, neo

Images

Neo, I think it's you that would like at least one page in this... they have a pic of the new Jetboil GCS (not PCS).

Images

WM ran an ad this year, and their gear got rated! how about that!?

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I am still waiting to see a bad review. There has to be one item that just sucks and does not perform.

But maybe not. I see the same thing on the backpackergeartest web site. I don't really see any reviews that say not to buy anything.

Images

It cracks me up every year when people get their (ultra-light) panties in a wad over Backpacker magazine and its' reviews. Always the complaints about the ads. Think about this, suppose, JUST suppose, that the ads are purchased AFTER the reviews? Wouldn't you place a nice big ad if your new widget got a great review? Or the opposite, would you place an ad after your new widget got ripped? maybe spend the ad money improving the product.

As to the whole BAD review issue, there are SO many BAD items in the marketplace, if they included the bad reviews, the magazine would look like a New York Metro phone book.

Images

I like the gear guide simply because there's always gear that I've missed, new possibilities for some gems.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Most people still are not to the hammock phase. I don't rip them for not reviewing hammock gear. Some of the other issues...ok...but hammocks aren't the easiest to set up, and most people think that they look mor complicated than they are. Besides for every great story I have heard about hammocks, there is a bad one out there as well. It's a learning process, all the same every once in awhile I learn about some new idea out there due to the magazine. I don't love backpacker, but I don't hate it yet, either.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    Most people still are not to the hammock phase. I don't rip them for not reviewing hammock gear. Some of the other issues...ok...but hammocks aren't the easiest to set up, and most people think that they look mor complicated than they are. Besides for every great story I have heard about hammocks, there is a bad one out there as well. It's a learning process, all the same every once in awhile I learn about some new idea out there due to the magazine. I don't love backpacker, but I don't hate it yet, either.
    hanging a hammock's no harder than figuring out how to strap on that pack on page 28! that's one big mother... all sorts of straps and bells and i think i saw a whistle or two...

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco
    It cracks me up every year when people get their (ultra-light) panties in a wad over Backpacker magazine and its' reviews. Always the complaints about the ads.
    I enjoy reading through Backpacker, but not for the ads or reviews. I find some articles entertaining. Some remind me of places I have been, or inspire me to dream of new places to go.

I am cheap (Just ask my son), and I am not tempted to buy something just because it is the latest (or the lightest). There are lots of suckers out there who have to upgrade every few years to the newest gadget, and the big name producers (of outdoor gear, electronics, automobiles, and everything else) feast on them. In fact, the producers spend tons of money on marketing in order to make the suckers dissatisfied, so the suckers will give even MORE money back to the producers. The suckers work themselves to the bone to support the producers. In biology, the term is PARASITE.

Buy (or make) that which satisfies your need, and that which will last. The joy comes from USING it, not OWNING it. Happy trails!!!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    you want see this kinda stuff in the guide neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...p?i=9723&c=577
    Backpacker magazine has a centerfold? Miss Hammock 2006 needs a shave
    Frosty

Images

Seeker,

I understand what you are saying, and many who have made the switch love them, but all the same, here's a list, insulating in cold weather, keeping it level, sliding in the hammock, etc. It's an art and this is from people who have logged major miles carrying their hammocks. Most of the gen pop are still tent campers, and until this changes, backpacker which has become more mainstream isn't going to start raving about the merits of hammock camping. BTW I will say this, most I know who have refined their hammock hanging rave about how great a night's sleep they get, and how much lighter hiking it is. It is something I will probably move to one day, but for now I still love my tent. As for Backpacker, some of the stuff I like and some of it I don't need, but to each his own.
    Walking Dead Bear

Images

Default Perhaps a self proclaimed hypocrit or not

As many of you have witnessed my own dismay towards the big companies and the opinions included. I have been given the opportunity to review gear for backpacker this summer on my hike. I have not decided whether I will dedicate myself to the job quite yet. This offer coming after they were forwarded a copy of my backpackers obituary. The perks - it pays $ and the gear is free. It would give me the inside nitty gritty on whether they ever accept a bad review. The con - well it would be gear assigned to me, although they are willing to find products to fit my given criteria, for example within weight limits. I am always for making money while I am hiking as I did in 2000 writing for a newspaper, every cent does help. Would I be a hypocrit or not?
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Does anyone know if BP has ever addressed the negative comments most of us seem to have? I dropped my subscription years ago, but always picked up the gear guide. After last year's big disappointment, I don't think I'll ever buy again. But I was thinking about writing a letter - so have they ever commented on their obvious changes?
    So be it.
    --John

Images

Blister go for it! That way you can give us the insider scoop of how they take your review, and verify later on if they changed it or used it!
    Walking Dead Bear

Question Sleeping Bag Chart Question

In the list of features for some of the bags is the code "ZO". There is no explanation of this code in the key. Any ideas?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by clayrfarris
    In the list of features for some of the bags is the code "ZO". There is no explanation of this code in the key. Any ideas?
    Without reading the article, I would guess "zipper orientation" or something to do with the zipper?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Blister... Go for it. Nothing wrong with free gear or getting paid to do what you love. If you give them your review/opinion and they don't use it, at least you got to use free gear. Free/super cheap gear is the main plus to my job, so I've owned more gear in the last 8 years than a whole crew of hikers need. Assuming they let you keep the gear you can always sell it.
    One thing to keep in mind about all magazines is that they have to keep the advertizers happy. Without the ads, the magazine that sells for $4.50 at the newsstand would probably cost twice that.

Images

According to the Gear editor - you don not keep the free gear. After testing it is sent back to Backpacker, they review it and then return it to the manufacturing company, where they can look it over for wear tear ect.... But I will be able to use needed equipment instead of buying it, hence lowering the actual cost of the hike.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++