WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gear list!!! Lemme know what you think. Mid July end to end

Finally got the time to get my gear list together. LT end to end July 15th - ?. I have 30 days to finish so not sure when I'll be done.

This is is my first long distance hike so any input would really help. My longest hikes thus far have been long weekends,2-3-4 night hikes.

https://lighterpack.com/r/76byo1

Images

Looks good. 30 days is plenty. Starting mid July is fine. It'll be a great hike.

Why take the GoPro as well as the phone? I'd think you could do most or all of what you need with the phone, given the specs of the GoPro. (I'm a photographer so I get having a separate camera, I just don't know if the GoPro is better enough to justify it.)

I'd probably use the larger Sawyer bag for dirty water - easier to collect a lot of water and treat it into the smaller bag and the bottle. I like having the second bag in case the first one breaks - we also carried some Aqua Mira tablets for when we couldn't use the filter. Late July is when we started having the occasional problem with springs drying up.

Clothing looks fine - I brought a light down jacket, but a vest would have worked too. I wore my wool long johns and long sleeved shirt every night on the trail.

I see you have the E2E guide as your "map" -- do you have the LT map, too? It's the most useful thing we carried other than food. Also, if I did it over again (fat chance!!) I'd download the Guthook app and load the LT/AT data -- it would have been very nice to have on several occasions.

We combined our LT hike with a craft beer and B&B tour of Vermont on foot. Turned out pretty well in the end, and didn't cost as much as I thought it might. Lovely state, great people, terrific food and beer. The town stops were among the highlights of the trip.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I don't see any real issues. I have the same quilt and I don't like it that much in the middle of summer though. Even when I try and vent it's a bit too warm, but it'll work

Thanks for the reply so fast! As of now I do not have the actual map but that is on the list of things to order. I was going to use the Vermont pages out of my AT guide for the first 100 or so miles and the long trail maps after that. As for the phone/GoPro, my wife will be hiking with me so if she carries her phone I'm going to leave mine behind. Using a handlebar mount I just leave the GoPro on my trekking pole, also the new hero 5 is awesome with the upgraded audio and image stabilization.

Yeah I usually just drape it over me loosely if it's too hot. I'd love to get a 40* but funds are tight after putting this list together over the last year.

Images

There were a couple of nights toward the end of the hike (late July) when I would have LOVED to have a 20F quilt. I took a 40F Jacks R Better, and it's a great quilt, but we had some chilly nights.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I don't see any rain pants, just the poncho. I've hiked E2E twice, in August, and I wouldn't do it without rain pants. It rained about 50% of the time on my first hike, and wool drys very slowly, especially when it's damp for days. I didn't have rain mitts the first time and really wanted them. My hands were often cold on cool, rainy days (this might be more applicable to your wife, but it was true for me). Also, some type of camp shoe, even just a croc or flip flop, is such a relief when you have had your feet in wet shoes all day.

My theme here, be prepared for wet everything...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hepatica View Post
    I don't see any rain pants, just the poncho.

My theme here, be prepared for wet everything...
    Oh yeah. My wife *hates* rain pants and didn't take them on the LT. Her nylon crop pants got soaked, wicked water upward, and she was very cold a lot of the time. She came home and immediately dropped the $$$ on the Zpacks cuben rain pants.

I took a homemade silnylon rain kilt. It worked ok, better than my old rain shell which leaked badly.

I will say that I would not take a poncho on the Long Trail -- there were too many places where I really needed to see my feet for a tricky bit of trail, and my experience with wearing a poncho was that I couldn't see my feet or the trail. The LT is really a 275 mile rock scramble - almost a constant climb up and down sheer cliff faces in the pouring rain. (Ok, that is a slight exaggeration. But really only a slight one. The rule on the LT is that if you can't find the trail, look up at the sheer rock wall in front of you -- the blaze is half way up the wall.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I entered Vermont the end of May last year wearing a poncho during a heavy rain with wind and got soaked. A day or two later I meet a guy who was getting off the trail and he gave me his Frog Togs rain jacket. Probably saved my life during the next couple of days of cold rain.

I don't bother with rain pants. The LT can be quite overgrown in places up north and the pants just get snagged on the brush. Thunder storms are common in July and when the trail gets wet, it gets very muddy. Gaiters are well worth having.

Test mud puddles with your hiking poles before you step into them. That way you can find where the solid place to step is. I've sunk my poles all the way down to the handle in one of the mud puddles along the LT! I came real close to slipping off the log I was teetering on and ending up face first in that muck!

Look out for "green" rocks when it rains. Green rocks means moss is growing on it and is very slippery. Also be very careful in the Sterling pond area north of Smugglers notch. The rock there is a kind of soap stone and is very, very slippery.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Oh yea, I would strongly recommend long pants. Long pants keeps the bugs off your legs, it keeps your legs from getting scratched up from all the overgrown areas and it keeps your legs cleaner. Zip off convertible pants gives you the option to go either way. A long sleeve shirt is also well worth having.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Also be very careful in the Sterling pond area north of Smugglers notch. The rock there is a kind of soap stone and is very, very slippery.
    Oh, yeah, we found that rock that the GMC conveniently routed the trail right over. It looks all rugged and tractiony, but it's like ice. We both fell on the same ^&% rock, and I left a nice smear of blood for the evil trail minions to feast upon.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Oh, yeah, we found that rock that the GMC conveniently routed the trail right over. It looks all rugged and tractiony, but it's like ice. We both fell on the same ^&% rock, and I left a nice smear of blood for the evil trail minions to feast upon.
    I've been reading about this rock for years now in posts and trip reports. The fact that this one dang rock is so famous would be funny if it wasn't for the bloodlust it is famous for.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Images

Hey,

My two ideas:

1. Change knife for Victorinox Signature lighter weight and more functions:
    23 grams. Pen, scissors, tiny knife, file, tweezers. Used on Ebay $8 ish.
    cheesy video but can still get the idea, p.s. file should be out when writting to get better grip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlKWjuhkIY&t=34s

2. 4 inch iphone cable 9 grams. Lighter, less bulk and more efficient. (Length of cable affects transfer of electricity from battery pack, apparently)

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...inch+usb+cable

I think that might save you 1/2 ounce!

Good luck,
    Miguelon

You have some really nice gear and looks like everything you need.

Prepare to be wet/damp pretty much the whole trip.

If I were to hike the LT again I'd bring a tarp/bug bivy combo.

When it pours on the LT, those shelters are a blessing.

As someone mentioned above, the Long Trail map is essential. Bring the map and the E2E guide for sure.

Going nobo the trail gets more and more challenging till the very end. And challenging it is.

The hiking is strenuous, don't skimp on h20 and food intake.

Temps can drop in the north, I wouldn't switch out the twenty degree. I would bring a forty that time of year. But I'd be hiking much faster this time around.

I would prefer a synthetic insulating layer over a down one for the green mtns. It's very wet. In July, I don't think you we really need more than a fleece midlayer. Especially if your bringing a twenty degree quilt.

If this is your first LD hike, you quickly learn that good food brings happiness on a long hike. If I were planning a thirty day hike, I'd be bringing some dehydrated veggies and stuff to supplement my town resupplies. I would also do a maildrop halfway through to restock on dehydrated goodness.

Study up on food now so you don't eat ramen for thirty days.

[QOUTE] I've been reading about this rock for years now in posts and trip reports. The fact that this one dang rock is so famous would be funny if it wasn't for the bloodlust it is famous for. [/QOUTE]

It's not so much a rock but ledge which has exposed sections for 1/4 mile or so. It's a relatively flat section, so you can be moving right along and then hit a exposed slippery section and end up on your butt.

[QOUTE] 2. 4 inch iphone cable 9 grams. Lighter, less bulk and more efficient. (Length of cable affects transfer of electricity from battery pack, apparently) [/QOUTE]

The difference between a 4" cable and a 36" cable is insignificant. A 36" cable is a lot easier to use, because in many cases, your phone will be dangling off the 4" one. Electrical sockets are typically about 18" off the floor. If your traveling by bus or train, having a 6 foot cord is nice so you can reach the outlet if you end up with an aisle seat.

I've never really looked into synthetic insulation. But I do have a decent gift card to REI and could spend that on a jacket if the down vest wouldn't suffice, anyone have any recomodations for a synthetic layer that's available from REI that is worth looking into? Main reason for the vest was to save weight and my regular down jacket is almost a pound. I do have 250 wt smart wool base layers but I'm not sure that would be warm enough in place of a jacket.

Any recommendation for a fleece layer?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    You have some really nice gear and looks like everything you need.

Prepare to be wet/damp pretty much the whole trip.

If I were to hike the LT again I'd bring a tarp/bug bivy combo.

When it pours on the LT, those shelters are a blessing.

As someone mentioned above, the Long Trail map is essential. Bring the map and the E2E guide for sure.

Going nobo the trail gets more and more challenging till the very end. And challenging it is.

The hiking is strenuous, don't skimp on h20 and food intake.

Temps can drop in the north, I wouldn't switch out the twenty degree. I would bring a forty that time of year. But I'd be hiking much faster this time around.

I would prefer a synthetic insulating layer over a down one for the green mtns. It's very wet. In July, I don't think you we really need more than a fleece midlayer. Especially if your bringing a twenty degree quilt.

If this is your first LD hike, you quickly learn that good food brings happiness on a long hike. If I were planning a thirty day hike, I'd be bringing some dehydrated veggies and stuff to supplement my town resupplies. I would also do a maildrop halfway through to restock on dehydrated goodness.

Study up on food now so you don't eat ramen for thirty days.

Many fleece options, but something like this would work fine:
    https://www.rei.com/product/883349/r...-pullover-mens
    Lightweight, no frills, warm

I would find a cheap pullover fleece in the 7-9oz range. Fleece for the most part is fleece. EMS and REI usually start selling their fleece clothing dirt cheap right about now.

I would pair that with something like a montbell thermawrap, Patagonia nanopuff, etc.

I have a synthetic puffy from LL Bean I got as a present. It uses something similar to primaloft and weighs 13oz. I'd bring that, it's really warm and comfortable.

My fleece layer right now is heavy. It's an EMS powerstretch hoody. It has lots and lots of miles on it. I got in on a clearance rack for $40 a few years back. Its my favorite piece of clothing. It has so many holes in it. The zipper has been repaired. And it starting to lose its shape. However, after years of use it still is a go to piece for me. I love it.

After using, hiking, and camping with the fleece layer for so long. I'll be shopping for a new one soon to replace this one. Got my eye on the zpacks fleece hoody. Looks perfect for me. Not "too technical" looking. Looks great for the thru hiker. Price tag is steep, but if it serves me as well as my current fleece, I can deal with it.

I also had my eye on a melanzana micro grid hoody for quite some time. I prefer a zip up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I got Zpacks new fleece a couple months ago. It's really nice, has a nice hood too. My size large is 11.9oz. I did notice the price went up considerably since I got mine though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++