Thread: Rain jacket

Images

Default Rain jacket

Can anyone suggest a rainjacket that's lightweight and a bit longer so that it will fit while wearing a full pack? I have the Precip rain pants but didn't like the fit of the jacket. I also like the idea of the underarm zippered vents. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

I have no experience with this but have read some very positive reviews. It is long enough you can get by wearing rain chaps if you want. It has pits zips plus all the airflow would make it more breathable than most. I am considering switching to it when the weather turns warm.
    http://www.thepacka.com

Images

Thanks hyperslug I will look into this.

I recently purchased a rain jacket from Light Heart Gear and had in made 4" longer. It already came with pit zips and was both light and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

AntiGravityGear jacket. Huge pit zips and plenty long enough.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Can anyone suggest a rainjacket that's lightweight and a bit longer so that it will fit while wearing a full pack? I have the Precip rain pants but didn't like the fit of the jacket. I also like the idea of the underarm zippered vents. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    What about the fit did you not like?

Images

It wasn't comfortable around my hips (I'm a bit curvy) and when I went up a size the sleeves were too long.

Images

On cold, rainy days when your wearing gloves, the long sleeves on a rain jacket can be pulled over your gloves to keep them dry.
    Simple is good.

The sleeves are long so they will cover your arms when they are extended while holding hiking poles (that's what I always thought). Tighten the Velcro around the wrists and it won't extend past your wrists if you don't use hiking poles

Try using a poncho instead. . . yeah, I know, I'm a broken record. But really, they work quite well and don't have sleeve length or pit zip issues, and they're longer than any normal rain coat.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Try using a poncho instead. . . yeah, I know, I'm a broken record. But really, they work quite well and don't have sleeve length or pit zip issues, and they're longer than any normal rain coat.
    +1 on this - even a poncho tarp. Just bring a bit of cordage or strap to use as a belt so it doesn't billow about in the wind. Kind of makes it into a tunic sort of thing. Sleeves too long won't be an issue, it should vent well, and cover your pack. However, it could be too long depending on your height and size of pack, so take that into consideration.

A $10 Frogg Toggs poncho works well enough over a daypack if you've got rainpants.

Images

Thanks to all for your responses and I am liking the sound of the poncho for its flexibility and since I always carry bungie cords I could use one as a belt as suggested. I looked into the other rainjackets mentioned too but I think money-wise the poncho is more in my budget.

Maybe you can try a rain kilt as well. It is a lot nicer to walk in than rain pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I only use Outdoor Research. Either the Helium II in the summer or the Aspire in the winter. Both cover the butt and work extremely well. I combine with the ULA rainkilt or the Zpack rain skirt and Zpack gaiters in the winter. No gaiters in the summer.

I personally don't care for the ponchos, found that cold rain water likes to drip to my armpits if I raise/lift my arms in the air.
    My husband on the other hand uses the Sea to Summit poncho and loves it.

I'll 2nd the frog toggs rain poncho. I always carry one in my pack.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++