WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    coffee grounds + PB sounds disgusting.

Why bother with coffee? If the sun is up, you're awake, and if it's not, you're asleep....
    Spoken like a true non-believer.

“He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Pondjumpr View Post
    ... I would imagine that caffeine could be sourced through other methods without having to add coffee grounds to something as awesome as PB. $0.02
    NoDoze, or similar product, caffeine tablets. Available at any pharmacy OTC. Used by college students everywhere during the all-night cram party for finals.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    coffee grounds + PB sounds disgusting.

Why bother with coffee? If the sun is up, you're awake, and if it's not, you're asleep. On your longest day you'll still be getting 8 hours of sleep, and later in the year you'll get more.
    I enjoy my coffee, especially when I'm in the woods. I love the morning, and being able rock in my hammock with a cup of Joe (Shug-Style) before I get moving is big for me. But, if I can save time and fuel in the morning and still receive the boost with the taste of coffee, then this mixture was a win. If coffee on the trail isn't your thing, great, but that's not what this post was asking.

And Sherry, I might just do that after I pick up some PB.
    ~March 5th, 2017~

Journal Entries

If you have to eat your coffee, because nodoz tablets wont kick it for you, try chocolate coated expresso beans.

I do carry caffeine pills on the trail. You never know when you are going to bonk and you may need the extended energy boost to achieve your goal....just sayin...

Well, I did it this morning. I mixed my ground coffee with a spoon full of peanut butter. Here are my thoughts:

Wow, enough coffee to make a cup of coffee is a lot of ground coffee to mix with PB. So I mixed a teaspoon worth into a rounded teaspoon of peanut butter.
    Wow, it actually mixed up pretty easily and nicely.
    Wow, it actually tastes pretty good, and the crunch texture is kinda good too.
    I didn't eat enough to get a good caffeine buzz going. I don't know if I'd want to eat that much unless I was really hungry.

I could actually probably eat this by choice some of the time, just for fun. I doubt I'd want to eat enough PB to mix in enough coffee to replace my cup of coffee on a regular basis. But heck, it was kinda fun and kinda good and I'm sure I'll play around with it occasionally in the future.

Anyone else?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

No thanks. I bring filter paper and a funnel. If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    No thanks. I bring filter paper and a funnel. If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going!
    You can think of it as a desert or treat actually. It might be outstanding with a little chocolate included. Hmm. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

R U talking about caffeine, which everyone associates with coffee as if they are the same, or coffee?

Bunches of products with caffeine that don't entail hot or cold coffee.

Although, Micro Ground Coffee, such as Starbucks Via, can be added to just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Although, Micro Ground Coffee, such as Starbucks Via, can be added to just about anything.
    I pour three sleeves of Via into my granola & Nido, add in water, stir, slurp off a few mouthfuls of coffee water, and enjoy the rest as my favourite meal of the day.

Then — perhaps half an hour later — test my LNT skills …

Why not coffee flavored granola? It's a twist on cocoa puffs. It can be added to the hundreds of other granola versions on the market.

Have to add micro ground coffee added to pudding as a mid morn pick me up.

BTW, and this is a BIG BTW, may be several helpful foods and supplements to get the energy boost that don't involve caffeine or coffee.

Gotu kola
    acetyl-L-carnitine - great for mental health and clarity without the edginess often associated with caffeine
    ginseng - American(Panax quinquefolius) and Asian(anax ginseng) and Siberian Ginseng(Eleutherococcus senticosus, not true ginseng). All have energy and other potentially helpful trail consequences. If you can get some fresh "seng" from the Appalachian Mountains IT WORKS for increasing energy if you chew on it!
    B12 (methyl is the best)
    CoQ10 - varying effects for energy increases
    Rhodiola rosacea - more popular outside the U.S. in Europe and Asia
    Gingko biloba - for mental alertness
    N-acetyl cysteine(NAC)

If you're willing to research amino acids supplementation there's no end to the powders that are available containing such as L-citrulline, L-arginine AKG, creatine, L- tyrosine, etc

Also:

Graze rather than load up on mega calorie heavy mega meals or foods high in added sugar especially artificial and the highly processed sugars

Drink CLEAN water...drink lots of CLEAN water....drink lots of CLEAN water. Despite the majority of us knowing about the importance of water we still all don't get enough. We're not doing what we know we should be doing.

Lots of fiber which helps stabilize blood sugar helps regulate energy levels.

Breathe deeply/fully!!! Silly sounding but once this is known and practiced the results can elevate to a higher physicality and mental clarity not realized!!!

Guarana - it's one of the prime energy increasing herbs in many of the energy "shot" drinks. This contains caffeine.

Yerba Mate - contains caffeine, drank it most days for energy made by some other thru-hiking PCT friends. Became an afternoon staple. Got used to it.

cocoa/high content cocoa chocolate - low caffeine content usually but has a host of antioxidants and other beneficial nutrients

various teas - green tea extract or green tea like Matcha is better for you than full caffeine coffee if considering the way most drink it with sugars, dairy, processed flavorings like hydrogenated FAKE creamer, etc and the copies amounts of low pH acids in coffee itself

as said chocolate covered espresso beans - they can offer a wallop of caffeine in 6-7 beans!

This is a short list alternatives to coffee. I like my coffee though. It's my drug of choice and don't think it's not an addictive drug or that it can't involve negative health consequences. It's not all a pro with coffee. There are cons involved!

Images

Wow, as a non-coffee drinker I have to admit I never realized the addiction could be this extreme. Adding coffee grounds to your Peanut Butter sounds disgusting to me. I am with the 'if the sun is up, then I am awake' crowd.

But I cannot through stones, after a week on the trail I admit the only thing I can think about is how good that first beer is going to taste when I get to town.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Adding coffee to pudding? That sounds amazing!

My wife will sometimes add about half a cup of brewed coffee to chocolate cake batter in place of some liquid in the recipe. You don't really taste the coffee but it brings out more of the chocolate flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Wow, as a non-coffee drinker I have to admit I never realized the addiction could be this extreme. Adding coffee grounds to your Peanut Butter sounds disgusting to me. I am with the 'if the sun is up, then I am awake' crowd.

But I cannot through stones, after a week on the trail I admit the only thing I can think about is how good that first beer is going to taste when I get to town.
    Addiction? I can quit whenever I want. I just don't want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    I pour three sleeves of Via into my granola & Nido. . .
    Wow, that makes some pricey (and strong) granola! Plain old ground coffee in granola might also work, especially since the granola is crunchy to start with.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

now this is useful!!!

for me, my main reason to use coffee in the morning is to take a dump before I start hiking, especially when hiking in the winter and having a summit day. I'm afraid drinking coffee would be the only way to do it, coffee grounds in peanut butter would delay the effect. (I think)
    Let me go

Sounds nasty to me. Not the coffee but the PB.
    I take a small single serve PB cup on every trip and it is the last thing in the bag that gets eaten and only if needed.
    Usually I end up bringing it home.

To all the neigh-sayers, I can imagine you could say the same thing about coffee ice cream if you had never tried it. "Coffee in ice cream?! GROSS!" Despite it being amazing - good!

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    This one time, at band camp - no, wait, it was at the grocery store, they had all these great-smelling flavored coffee beans, as well as a place you could grind them and bag them before buying them. Seeing a spilled bean under the chute for one of the flavors (it was probably heath bar crunch coffee or something equally absurd in terms of implied sweetness), I decided to try it. It was HORRIBLE. I could not get the taste out of my mouth fast enough, and even sacrificed my handkerchief to the task of helping to scrape if off my tongue.
    Flavored coffee is coated in a gross tasting oil-like substance. I used to work at a roaster and to make 'hazelnut' flavored coffee all you do is take regular coffee and mix a little oil over the beans.

I really don't understand the point, is it a time saver, inhance flavor...I don't get it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++