WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Back at it again!

So after a hiatus from outdoorsy adventures while buying a house, repairing said house, and then a car accident... I'm headed back out alone.

My last trip was a three day trip where I conquered my fears of backpacking alone and fell in love with it. My husband knows how important roaming the woods is to my mental and spiritual health and decided to make it possible for me to get out once a month. I did this three years ago and managed to keep it going for 16 months. I am so excited to get this going in my life again!

I am heading out this weekend for a quick out and back at a local trail system and I cannot wait! Less than 24 hours to go! My mind is racing with the gear choices, what book to download, what journal I want to bring, which camera, and all of the wonderful nitty gritty choices that we all seem to find as part of the joy. A day and night of blessed silence and time with nature and my dogs. A beautiful break from my office life where I surf white blaze and other such forums between clients!

I will keep this little thread going as I get my gear ready and on through my trip via the tapatalk app.

Cool, have a good hike, and remember your basics, it is winter out there!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Cool, have a good hike, and remember your basics, it is winter out there!
    Thanks! It ended up being a great experience. I was on a section of my property that I had never walked so even though we own it, I was getting to explore a new place which was cool. I was pretty snug in my hammock so I can't complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife also allows me to go out on one trip a month so we have this in common. And when I can't get out I sleep in the backyard in either a variety of tents or in my bedroll cowboy-style.

Ahh, its Alabama, near GREENBOW ALABAMA.

Here ya.

Looking forward to following your journey!

Journal Entries

Welllll last weekend did not go quite as planned. All of the backcountry sites at the local state park were already taken by the time I got there so I went home and hung my hammock in a part of our woods that I had not explored yet. Found a nice little creek and passed a peaceful evening.

Tomorrow, I have the opportunity to take out a noobie for her first backpacking experience. She has car camped with me before and is ready to jump in feet first. We are sticking to the state park so that we are close to "civilization" in the event of gear failure and also so that I can be within decent driving distance of my farm since my husband will be out of town for the super bowl (eye roll). We are going to be there when the office opens so that we can get the site I want to get for her first time out. We are going to park one car at one end of the park and the other at the opposite end so that we aren't doing an out and back. We are both pretty excited. She found a pack through a swap group and I'm hoping it fits her (I was not there) and I have got some culinary skills in the wings to make meals fun. She will be using a water filter and a stove for the first time as well as pitching a tarp and carrying a pack all day. Fingers crossed that I am creating another hiking buddy.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

plexusbritt,

Are you familiar with the Sipsey Wilderness? (Maps) (Overview map)

It's about an hour north of Birmingham and doesn't have any formal check-in to limit the number of people (so basically finding a back country campsite is 'first come, first serve').

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    plexusbritt,

Are you familiar with the Sipsey Wilderness? (Maps) (Overview map)

It's about an hour north of Birmingham and doesn't have any formal check-in to limit the number of people (so basically finding a back country campsite is 'first come, first serve').
    yes!

That is by far my favorite place to go whether solo or with friends. It is like a world apart from anything else. I have also kayak camped the sipsey river. :) We have livestock and their winter care keeps me close to home if my husband is travelling.

Leonidas

Yeah, the local SP can be quite a pain about the backcountry sites, I didn't get one last time because I was 5 minutes too late. The website didn't mention that they had changed the time you had to be checked in by...
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

Well we managed it but it took waiting st the office for someone else to check out.

Journal Entries

++ New Posts ++