Images

Default Dog through Oregon and Washington

Hi all,

I had to stop my hike at Shelter Cove a few years ago and want to finish the rest of the trail this Summer. I have a dog now and was wondering if it would be recommended to take her with me the rest of the way.

Probably going to be a hot topic, but wouldn't take a dog into the backcountry, period. They dont have the physique or the psyche for it. They poop. They bark at people and wildlife. They get hurt. It's not "Call of the Wild".

The only problem with dogs, at least through Oregon, that I can think of, is that some of the lava beds could be exceptionally hard on the paws, hopefully not a hike ending issue for well acclimated dogs (with crazy tough pads) while essentially impassable for others. No unlike like walking on smashed glass for some stretches.

I'd take my dog, with the caveat that we might have to take a couple days off or shorten some days to deal the paw stress/damage.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Also take into consideration that dogs aren't allowed on the rim trail in Crater Lake NP, and potentially some wilderness areas

Default No dogs are allowed in Mt. Rainier National Park

For a few miles, the PCT passes through Mt. Rainier National Park. Dogs, other than service dogs, are not allowed in Mt. Rainier National Park. I don't know if there is an alternate route that bypasses the National Park.

I have seen people with dogs in the Goat Rocks Wilderness near the National Park, but not inside the park. In fact, last year I encountered two different kinds of people with dogs:

1) One group had their dogs on leashes. Neither the dogs or the hikers seemed to be having fun. To a casual observer it seemed like trying to manage the dogs on a wilderness trail wasn't worth the effort.

2) Another group allowed their dog to run free. It barked at other hikers and generally disturbed the wilderness. The dog owners were very unpopular and would have been arrested if a ranger had happened by.

Frankly, I wouldn't have wanted to be a part of either group. Dog's don't really fit in wilderness areas.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 01-31-2017 at 12:16.
    Shutterbug

My take on dogs is this. If you have one of those rare dogs that are dead quiet, well behaved, bring that dog out. Most people like dogs, myself included, and it would be nice to have a dog running around camp. However, most dogs are a horrible fit, they end up barking at everything and generally destroying everyone's serenity. Just because you think your dog's wild barking is adorable doesn't mean everyone else does, and I mean this in the broadest possible sense. Consider everyone around you #1, then evaluate how your dog might do in the wilderness. Your obligation is to the people around you first, to not ruin the experience for others.

Apologize if I sound like a buzzkill.

Yes, Bring your dog. You will love it.

Dont ask on Whiteblaze again about dogs because you will see the torches and pitchforks come out.

I hike with my dog. it does add stress to your experience. Worth it.

There's a lot of misinformation on the internet from people who assume that pets are not allowed in any national park. This is incorrect. Some national parks allow dogs in certain wilderness areas and others don't. Dogs are allowed on the entire length of the PCT through Oregon and Washington. Rainier NP and Cascades NP allow dogs on a 6 foot leash only along the PCT. The only sections of the PCT that are problematic are in California. If your dog is a service dog (not emotional support) and not a pet you can bring them on the entirety of the PCT as required by the ADA. There's a thorough list of current regulations here: https://sobopct16.wordpress.com/2016...s-and-the-pct/

Quote Originally Posted by beetwick View Post
    ... Dogs are allowed on the entire length of the PCT through Oregon and Washington .../
    While this is technically true, dogs are not allowed on the Rim Trail of Crater Lake NP, which has become the de-facto PCT, and many (including myself) would argue this is one of the most spectacular stretches of trail in Oregon. You might be able to find a way to do this hike and have someone drop your dog off at the parking lot where the trail leaves the rim, but I think the logistical issues of this along with the beauty of the rim trail at least bears mentioning

Quote Originally Posted by jj442434 View Post
    While this is technically true, dogs are not allowed on the Rim Trail of Crater Lake NP, which has become the de-facto PCT, and many (including myself) would argue this is one of the most spectacular stretches of trail in Oregon. You might be able to find a way to do this hike and have someone drop your dog off at the parking lot where the trail leaves the rim, but I think the logistical issues of this along with the beauty of the rim trail at least bears mentioning
    The Rim Trail originally was the official PCT. Then, they made the bypass for dogs, stock, and horses and for going by Red Cone Spring. This bypass was closed in August 2016 because of the Lost Creek wildfire. Might check if or when it will be reopened. This PCT alternate being closed would possibly make for more complex dog owner logistical considerations. The Rim Trail is unequivocally a more scenic PCT route!!! I have experienced both routes.

Another consideration for PCT backpackers with dogs in OR is the need for hauling and finding FIDO's water too! The OR segment is sometimes at elevation on ridgelines with more restrictive water availability compared to just about anywhere on the AT. Might want to consider taking a lower more water logistically friendly lower elev route which is on Halfmile's PCT maps. In 2006 I was thru hiking playing leap frog with a thru-equestrian who had to carefully plan his itinerary at some expense including financial for his horse's watering, grazing, and transportation needs or devising different legal horse friendly alternates.

In N. Cascades NP dogs AND PETS are not allowed other than if you have a dog it is leashed on the PCT and within 50 ft of roads. Three trips through N Cascades NP at various seasons and always saw one Ranger on the PCT even if just crossing it or sitting around checking out the scene. thttps://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/pets.htm Not being a dog hater I personally wouldn't want to hike with a leashed dog through those single track rocky ridgeline PCT segments in N Cascades NP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post
    Yes, Bring your dog. You will love it.

Dont ask on Whiteblaze again about dogs because you will see the torches and pitchforks come out.

I hike with my dog. it does add stress to your experience. Worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by beetwick View Post
    There's a lot of misinformation on the internet from people who assume that pets are not allowed in any national park. This is incorrect. Some national parks allow dogs in certain wilderness areas and others don't. Dogs are allowed on the entire length of the PCT through Oregon and Washington. Rainier NP and Cascades NP allow dogs on a 6 foot leash only along the PCT. The only sections of the PCT that are problematic are in California. If your dog is a service dog (not emotional support) and not a pet you can bring them on the entirety of the PCT as required by the ADA. There's a thorough list of current regulations here: https://sobopct16.wordpress.com/2016...s-and-the-pct/

A responsible non self absorbed backpacker/hiker hiking with their dog, AS THE OP SEEMS TO BE, would KNOW, CONSIDER, and ALLOW for the lengthy "additional possible stresses" pre OR and WA PCT hike. Bringing along a dog on the OR and WA PCT for 960 miles has to be approached from a pre hike prep approach...NOT just a wing it make it up as you go along approach...unless last minute hassles for themselves and possibly others is the goal! Plenty of backpackers have done it legally though. However, it takes greater considerations!

Forgot to add. Thanks so much for the link Beetwick. Good info.

Another consideration is where you intend to end your PCT hike. If it involves entering into Canada you must not only have your human documentation in order but also your dogs'.
    Dogs & Cats: Dogs and cats three months or older require a rabies vaccination certificate for a vaccination done within the last three years. You must carry this with the animal. Dogs and cats must be kept on a leash at all times while in Manning Park.
    http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tra...a-via-the-pct/

I ended a PCT NOBO thru in 06 entering into Canada at Manning Park with about 15 thru-hikers and a couple of PCT segment NOBO hikers. One had thrued with his exceptionally well behaved and obedient dog(a smart Labrador Retriever). And another two Canadians sectioned with two dogs(very well heeled Australian Shepherd/Border Collies). Both dog owners were exceptionally considerate dog owners on and off trail with the thru-hiker having put his dog through obedience school just as Mendocino Man was with his horse. the thru hiker with the dog had thru-hiked before with his dog on other trails. The thru-hiker had to renew/update his dog's rabies vaccination in OR or WA. I remember him stating it was ridiculous and the financial cost involved including having to hitch with his dog somewhere afar to update the vaccination. Even if you don't go into Canada then you have to backtrack SOBO to a road crossing like Hart's Pass or where dogs would be allowed. FWIW, if doing another PCT thru not involving entering Canada I'd rather take the PNWT or some other trail WEBO to Ross Lake or WEBO through N Cascades NP to experience something different than backtracking. I don't think you'd be able to do this if tagging a dog along. ???

I would not end my PCT hike at Hart's Pass as there is some great since track north of there you'd be missing!

Unless you require a service animal keep the dog off the trail. If you need a service animal take the dog anywhere you need; even national parks. A service animal is likely better behaved than most human hikers.

all those 2006 dates were 2008. Hastily wrote the incorrect yr.

Even though Service Dogs often have been trained professionally with the trainer's or association's dog vest given to the dog as kind of a sign of being a service dog some hike with service dogs without these vests. Since there's an increasing amount of who want to hike with their non service dogs they ILLEGALLY skirt these laws. I'm all for having proof of certification on person about the dog when hiking for the person saying they are hiking with a service dog to demonstrate that their animal is indeed a service animal and they are the one needing the animal. It's becoming more often I discover people with dogs LYING about their non certified dogs in order to hike with their animals in areas where dogs aren't allowed such as on the AT in National Parks. I'm also all for leashed pet laws being enforced.

++ New Posts ++