WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I get about sixteen 16oz boils out of the small canister (MSR brand). I assume they are all similar. However, with MuddyWaters tips maybe I can increase that a little. Re: the mosquitos ... So far Colorado mountains have a snowpack way above average. Unless the rest of the winter is very dry, you can probably expect a bumper crop of skitters. Make sure to have a head net for the moist areas, like Holy Cross Wilderness.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post

What did you use for a windscreen?
    just Al flashing, On the insanely heavy 1.7 oz montauk gnat, the arms were long enoug to support the flashing for small pot.
    On the brs3000, arms were extended with little bits of wire to do same.

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-29-2017 at 13:51.

SP lite max similar to MW but I like contents in my can better! Made sure to screw up a few times so had to empty a few more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do those windscreens stay up?

Never mind, I see. The Giga doesn't have pointy ends on the pot stand so not sure how I could make one that would work. I have the official SP Giga windscreen but it is kinda heavy.

Make due with natural items around or sit pad with few of my tent stakes also works well.

Bunch of drunk junk collectors ya all are.

Never mind, I see. The Giga doesn't have pointy ends on the pot stand so not sure how I could make one that would work. I have the official SP Giga windscreen but it is kinda heavy.
    Try to find a used or cheap snow peak titanium bowl. Trace the SP windscreen on the bottom of bowl. Cut out with dremel tool. New titanium windscreen weighs about .6oz. instead of 2oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Bunch of drunk junk collectors ya all are.
    Recycling at its finest!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I can get 22 out of a small 110 g cannister. Use tight windscreen, and turn heat down to boil in ~7-8 mi, not 2.5 min, and fuel efficiency will go from ~9 g/boil to 5-6 g/boil

Verify for yourself how much you can get by with, and add a little cushion for bad weather/wind. You always have the option to use less and dont heat to boil for a couple meals, or skip boiling all together a few. Very small part of my caloric intake. Plus I usually am only boiling 1.5-1.75 cups, not 2 anyway. Ill add cold water to make it less thick if necessary,added benefit of cooling to eating temp too. But too soupy is nasty for some things unless have potato flakes to put in. Nothing worse than a soupy lipton side with its undercooked noodles. ech
    are we talking 16oz boils?..

Journal Entries

O
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    are we talking 16oz boils?..
    Std 2 cup @ rt

Images

Not too worried about the availability of canisters, was just not 100% sure how long one would last. I will start with one 230g out of Denver, pick a new one up in Breckenridge and probably mail myself one somewhere in the middle after Breck which should be enough on my schedule of one water-boil a day for FBC.

I think I'm more struggling with the shelter issue and am even debating dismembering my Duplex
    Just curious what you mean by "dismembering my Duplex".... are you talking about going with just the tarp, cutting out the screen or something? aha, I see your OP now, asking about just a tarp. I personally would say no on this, those 5-6 ounces or whatever of screen might be really handy. Consider that this is a high snow year, meaning more moisture than an average year in late July, meaning the potential at least for a higher 'skeeter year. Just my opinion, I'd stick with a full duplex. I use my zpacks solo+ all the time in the CO summer, glad to have the screen, but I am a bit of a bug-wimp. I also have noticed a bit more warmth in my zpacks tent when the screen dor is closed, meaning ever so slightly warmer with the bug screen. I guess the screen blocks a bit of the breeze blowing through the tent.

Also, yet another vote on a single 230 gram canister getting you through the entire trail. One such canister lasts me about 2 weeks with three full 2.5 cup boils a day in a jetboil, so with your one 2-cup boil, you should be golden. Or save that 6 ounces by carrying a 110 gram canister (7.5 ounces full vs 13.5 ounces full), and replacing said small canister once in your 30 days.

We used an alcohol stove on the entire CT. Knowing there could possibly be a fire ban, we had a backup plan to have a canister stove ready to send. However, We have used alcohol stoves almost exclusively for over 15 years and given the choice lighter is always better plus alcohol stoves work like a champ!

(Just a general disclaimer : as with any other stove or gear you need to be good at using it. Understand how and why it works and practice, practice, practice before ever stepping foot on trail)

We never had any problems with our stove or finding Heet in the yellow bottle. We cook once a day for two people and carry 1 oz per day. In reality we used less than that....about .75 oz (or less) of fuel per day. So 1 oz per day while generous for the amount of cooking we do is also the minimum we carry even though we always have plenty left over when we resupplied.

Good luck!
    MtnGoat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    SP lite max similar to MW but I like contents in my can better! Made sure to screw up a few times so had to empty a few more...[IMG][/IMG]

I'd be afraid of slicing up my gear on the edges of that can. I can see one sharp edge sticking up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TrappedInsideACube View Post
    I'd be afraid of slicing up my gear on the edges of that can. I can see one sharp edge sticking up right now.
    It breaks down and goes inside pot...I've actually worn it out time to make new one...never had any issues...lately been using on alcohol stove though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++