WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer vs. Montbell Alpine Light Parka

Purchasing a gift for a female backpacker XS aiming for lightweight or ultralight.
    To be used during camp (ie after hike) in the Summertime in the Wind River area / John Muir / Superior Lake Trail / Olympic.
    Possibly used as an underlying layer if needed while exercising but this is not the primary concept of operations.

I can have both at roughly the same price, about $140.

Mountain Hardwear Hooded Ghost Whisperer: 6.4oz total, 2.4 oz of 800 treated down, 7D fabric
    Montbell Alpine Light Parka: 11.8oz total, 3.3oz of 800 untreated down, 20D fabric

Looks like the MH is much lighter. The MB is a warmer parka but its statistical weight efficiency (down weight/total weight) looks not as good (27% for Montbell vs 37% for the Ghost Whisperer) using the quoted numbers (number for Medium size I presume).

Any insight, comparisons, personal experience.
    Thanks,

Minos

if price is same, go ghost whisperer if it's mostly for chilly summer of near-summer nights at camp

the montbell gives you more warmth from down, and also has thicker fabric for some more warmth and wind resistance. Probably not needed, and presumably she'll have a wind/water layer that can be thrown on top as needed

Thick fabrics are not of great benefits as a mid-layer

Small female here. Don't have personal experience with the Montbell, but I've been using the Ghost Whisperer for some months now and highly recommend. Very lightweight but warm and keeps the wind out.

I should also mention that the person receiving the gift already have an REI Revelcloud Houdy (13oz with 2.1oz of Primaloft)
    Just want to make sure the GW would be different enough from the Revelcloud in term of warmth (it is much lighter for sure)

Thanks for the answer so far!
    Minos

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    I should also mention that the person receiving the gift already have an REI Revelcloud Houdy (13oz with 2.1oz of Primaloft)
    Just want to make sure the GW would be different enough from the Revelcloud in term of warmth (it is much lighter for sure)

Thanks for the answer so far!
    Minos

So I went for the Ghost Whisperer.This thing is so light!
    Looks like loft is about 0.75 inch at the most which does not look much. Off to have her try it and see how warm it is.

Thanks for the help

She will be surprised how warm it is!

A closer comparison would be the MB Ex light which has a 7D shell and weighs about 6 oz. However it is a straight layering piece with no hand pockets, draw cords etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    So I went for the Ghost Whisperer.This thing is so light!
    Looks like loft is about 0.75 inch at the most which does not look much. Off to have her try it and see how warm it is.

Thanks for the help

Hope she likes it as much as I like mine! Great choice.

++ New Posts ++