WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Are Crampons something I should be considering? I've hiked here in VA. when it was icy and wished I had owned a set a handful of times but don't know if it's something I should be getting for the hike.
    Not crampons. Microspikes are good, but I wouldn't take them with a late march start unless I knew that right when I was starting there was going to be serious ice
    https://www.rei.com/product/890608/k...raction-system

So skip spikes too then (unless ice is an issue when I leave for GA)? Good, I can use some good news about saving money!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

I skimmed through the other posts real quick, but is there a reason for the pelican case for the meds? I understand you have to have your meds, but do you have to have a pelican case? Lightest option would be a ziplock. 2nd would be a pill bottle. 3rd would be one of those daily pill box kinda things. All way lighter than the pelican. If you need a hard case you can get a fly box and remove the divider. I just weighed my dicks sporting goods fly box which is about the size of the pelican and it weighs 2.8oz.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

The reason for the Pelican is it's waterproof and holds a decent amount. I (sadly) take a lot of meds and will be using all of the space it offers. I can't take a chance of any of them getting crushed in a ziplock or having moisture getting to them. If I can find another option that's as good as this one I'll swap it out but this is one thing that 100% has to be perfect.

Micro spikes are a maybe depends how early you go. I'm going the 21st, not going to bring mine not worth the pound.

Also ziplock plastic bags are durable and waterproof put your pills in there save yourself half a pound

Just my many thoughts:

Poo Shovel: As otherhave stated, ditch it for a lighter weight one. The REI snow stakecosts $3 and weighs about 1 oz.

Pack: Need muchlighter weight. Sell that one and I would suggest ULA Circuit or Ohm,or maybe Granite Gear Vancouver 60.

Pelican Case: Assomeone stated, that fly box with divider removed would probablywork, or leave some of the divider in to make it more crush proof.

Osprey Pack Cover:Sell it with the pack and go without. No pack cover keeps the packtotally dry unless is goes over your head. Maybe line your pack witha trash compacter bag, about 2.4 oz.

Black Diamond Spot:Solid headlamp, If you want to to stay with a traditional 3 AAAheadlamp might consider Petzl Zipka at 2.4 oz. The REI exclusiveversion has 200 lumens. BTW, my Spot weighs 3.2 oz with batteries.

Nalgene: Glad youdropped it.

Tent: Sell it andpick up an 8.5’ x 10’ silnylon tarp. With a little practice,drier, better views, much bigger, cheaper, and lighter weight thanany tent. Use a cheap light polycryo ground cloth and add bug net ifand when bugs get bad. Oh I noticed you bought the Fly Creek so....
    s
    Knife: Check out theGerber LST .6 oz. Use it for food, cord, and the little bit ofcutting you have to do. If you will be wresting bears or buildingforts, then it won’t work.

Water Filter: I am achlorine dioxide user but if you prefer a filter than the SawyerSqueeze is the go to along with Evernew bladders. Keep in mind theweight of the filter is not the wet weight which is the actual weight youwill be carrying.

Bear Bagging Line:Check out Lawson Equipment Ultraglide or similar.

Guide Book: AWOL’sguide cut into thirds. Weighs about 3 oz with ziplock it comes with.

Phone Charger: Checkout Anker13000 mAh charger on Amazon. Weighs over 8 oz but about thesame weight at their 10000 version. Or use older phone withreplaceable batteries and save a lot of weight. My LG G4 costs about$170 on Swappa.

Camera: Use phone.

First Aid Kit: A fewband aids, some Leukotape or KT tape for blisters, a few ibuprofen,maybe anti diarrhea pills, tiny bit of antibiotic cream. Resupply asneeded.

Sleeping Pad: If youcan swing the cost of a Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Xlight you will get themost comfort for weight. If not, a cheap closed cell foam pad.

Kitchen: Cheap IMUSAcook pot with lexan or bamboo spoon. Use an old margarine container,or similar for dog bowl: > 1 oz. Stove is fine.

Sleeping Bags: Lotsof sleeping bags clearance right now. You can find a 750+ fill power20-30 degree bag for $250 or less at about 32 oz.

Everyone has a gear list but I'm not a fan of posting a gear list and asking opinions. Instead I would take what you have right now and start pulling weekend trips before your Big Trip and see how stuff works.

Remember, guys have hiked the AT with blankets and sneakers and tube tents and can openers for their Dinty Moore beef stew cans---and jungle boots and army poncho liners and blue jeans. Heck I pulled many backpacking trips using my old USAF duffel bag carrying all my gear and slung over one shoulder.

Start sleeping in the backyard every night and tweak your gear. Go on weekend backpacking trips. If it works, great. If not, scrounge up other stuff.

People will endlessly parse your gear ad nauseam and yet way below gear is the personal motivation level to get outside. If it's high and nothing will keep you indoors, then a wool blanket and a tarp will work.

First Aid kits, IMO, are mostly for blisters, burns, minor cuts, head/body aches, diarrhea, and allergies/bug stings. I also carry a QuikClot and butterfly bandages for major trauma.

FYI, I'm down to 13 pounds 15 ounces now!!!!!

So shopping for a sleeping bag now. Trying to find something for side sleepers and not really sure what I'm looking at to be honest Everything looks the same and I have no idea what I'm doing. The Sierra bag I liked earlier won't work for me. I read up on it a little more and it's just not right for the way I sleep. I'm 69.6 inches tall (Army measures in inches) and 250 lbs ATM. When I'm in shape I sit around 190-200 so I'm not exactly a small guy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me figure out what I need as far as the sleeping bag

Images

So shopping for a sleeping bag now. Trying to find something for side sleepers and not really sure what I'm looking at to be honest Everything looks the same and I have no idea what I'm doing. The Sierra bag I liked earlier won't work for me. I read up on it a little more and it's just not right for the way I sleep. I'm 69.6 inches tall (Army measures in inches) and 250 lbs ATM. When I'm in shape I sit around 190-200 so I'm not exactly a small guy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me figure out what I need as far as the sleeping bag
    I'm a quilt guy. I'm a side sleeper mostly and toss and turn some. The Enlightened Equipment quilt works for me. Footbox has a zipper, snaps above that and elastic straps with clip to clip it to your pad to eliminate drafts. Sounds like a wide would work good foe you. Email Tim at EE he's very responsive to questions.

Enlightened Equipment stuff is great but if you do a "made to order" order like i have twice it can take awhile i wait 5 weeks for one and 6 for another.

From all the research I've done and reading reviews, watching videos, and looking at gear lists there seems to be a ton of love for Enlightened Equipment quilts. I just ordered a 30 degree wide revelation to use with my current bag when its really cold and it should be good otherwise for my regular use. This will drop my weight by over a pound and will be lighter than my current 0 degree bag when using with my current sierra designs bag.

They have a warehouse page that is updated every monday at 2ET with bags that you can buy immediately otherwise it is a 3-5 week wait. I am not sure what you would need, maybe a 20?

i bought a 20F Engima and 20F Revolt. tested them out in 15F night with a maybe 25kt winds all night. was toasty warm with no clothes on till probably about day break when my toes started feeling a bit cold. just put on some socks and slept another hour.

Been reading a lot and starting to like this bag.

I had this same bag but eventually got rid of it. Shoulder width wasn't adequate; couldn't zip it up. Ultimately settled on Nemo Strato Loft bag. Much heavier but plenty of room. Also have EE quilt but drafts bothered me too much.

The reason for the Pelican is it's waterproof and holds a decent amount. I (sadly) take a lot of meds and will be using all of the space it offers. I can't take a chance of any of them getting crushed in a ziplock or having moisture getting to them. If I can find another option that's as good as this one I'll swap it out but this is one thing that 100% has to be perfect.
    I don't know of anyone that takes as many supplements on trail as I do. I get often get around carrying larger than immediately(5-6 days or so) needed amounts by resupply more often mailing resupply boxes that contain them. None of these are prescription drugs though like stimulants(adderall), sedatives, depressants(benzodiazepines like valium or methaquolone, xanax), or other controlled narcotics/opioids/opiates(percocet, oxycodone, oxycontin, fentanyl), etc illicitly sold on the streets. I think, although I've never had the need, you can inquire from you drug provider to give you scripts which include directions that demonstrate your legal ability to carry such meds outside of their original packaging based on not being able to carry so many in bottles, etc. It saves a lot on bulk!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++