WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Zpacks Zero top/pad strap holding power neurosis

First, I admit I'm neurotic.

A few months ago I picked up a Zpacks Zero on Ebay. I have not had it on the trail yet. It has a single strap across the top with a mini-sized plastic tongue/receiver type clip. The idea is to cinch it down over a zlite pad or whatever. I'm anxious about the strap coming undone and losing my pad on the go.

Has anybody had this happen (or not happen)? Should I be worried about it?

I thought about adding some shock chord but then what's the point of a Zero if I'm adding crap to it.

Journal Entries

You cant lose a light pad thats cinched in TIGHT
    At least I never have

But the ccf pad I keep on top weighs 2.5 oz generally.

In winter I might carry a supplemental 9 oz ccf pad on top of my pack, still havent lost it yet either.

I HAVE seen heavy things like a 24 oz Prolite or a 2-3 lb tent work lose from top straps. People dont lose them, but do have to stop and readjust.

Since you have the pack....why dont you try it out???
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-28-2017 at 21:04.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You cant lose a light pad thats cinched in TIGHT
    Since you have the pack....why dont you try it out???
    Yeah, I will. There's a 5 mile loop at a nearby state park. I'll go run around that and see what happens. I guess a better question would have been, can I trust the little bitty clip? The zlite is light enough that I think it could fall off and I wouldn't notice the weight change or hear it hit the ground behind me. Wouldn't be the end of the world, just cold/hard night or two until I could resupply or find a replacement.

Journal Entries

You can trust the itty bitty clip.
    Mine hasnt failed in 800 miles with a small ccf strapped on top

But the heavier oblect, more tension it takes to secure it

Images

As already pointed out, it's not needed, but if you're really worried about it, place a loop of micro shock-cord around the pad and then thread the strap under the cord before you fasten the clip. The added weight is probably only about 8 grams, but the pad really couldn't work it's way loose.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I've never had a problem with that little clip, but my practice is to cinch it down just snug and not so tightly that it might be stressed to the limits of breaking if it snags on something. Similar to what Engine suggests, put a small loop of cord or shock cord around it and tie it to one of those little grosgrain loops on the pack so that if it falls off it will dangle and you will notice it. For me this has prevented the loss of some significant gear (including snow shovel) throughout the years.

Aside, the Zero is a great pack. Did you get the straight Cuben or the hybrid? I got mine second-hand, the hybrid with water bottle pockets and front mesh panel, so it's really not a Zero if you read about the origin of the name, lol.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-29-2017 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Aside, the Zero is a great pack. Did you get the straight Cuben or the hybrid? I got mine second-hand, the hybrid with water bottle pockets and front mesh panel, so it's really not a Zero if you read about the origin of the name, lol.
    I got mine "used" though I'm not sure it ever got any action. Mine is not truly a zero either. It's the small sized one but it has a big mesh outer back pocket and dual water bottle pockets. All cuben.

As for the shock cord around the pad, that's a good suggestion and I might try it, but --this is stupid/picky/neurotic-- I like to be able to effortlessly throw the pad down to sit on during breaks, and effortlessly put it away again. I might do this every 5 miles or so, so if I'm hauling a 30 mile day --which I've been know to do when conditions/topography are right--that might be 6 times or more throughout the course of a day that I'm fiddling with the shock cord. I switched back from should strap water bottle loops to just using my side pockets because I got sick of fooling with the shock chord.

I'm downsizing from a Gorilla. It has two buckles and a lid, so I trusted it more.

Come to think of it, I'm adding a neo air because I want to try to sleep better this year, so the zlite is just a sit pad, really. It won't be the end of the world (or hike) if I lose it.

This is what I do in January/February. Obsess about the details of my kit.

Well, FWIW I've just used the top strap and never had a problem after quite a few miles on my Arc Blast and not nearly as many miles with the Zero, but the top strap is identical in function and design for both. So unless you're bushwhacking — not likely with that Cuben, eh? — it'll be fine with just the strap.

10-4. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++