WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sobos, it's time to call Baxter and make your 2017 camping reservations!

Reservations are accepted 4 months to the day of your first night's stay.
    Baxter: (207) 723-5140, you'll want a site for two nights.
    I recommend contacting the AT Lodge in Millinocket, they'll pick you up at the bus stop (7:45PM, over an hour from the Park gate), put you up overnight, and take you to Katahdin Stream Campground the next morning.
    Sample itinerary:
    Feb 5th, call BSP, book two sites at Katahdin Stream.
    June 4th - Transportation day, the important connection to make is the bus from Bangor to Medway. Stay in town. Eat, pack shakedown, great hiker store.
    June 5th - Shuttle in to the Park, check in with the Ranger, sign the first register, connect with other ATers, campfire with new best friends. Good night's sleep.
    June 6th - Climb to Baxter Peak via the Hunt Trail. Pics at the sign, touch the cairn. Campfire and good night's sleep.
    June 7th - Hike out to Abol Bridge on rested legs, last store til Monson, and head into the 100!

MEGA '17 guide to Baxter and Katahdin
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

From the SOBO guide pinned to the top of the SOBO 2017 Facebook page:
    "Reservations can be made starting four months in advance. Want June 1st and 2nd? Make that call on February 1st!
    The Birches site is not available to southbounders.
    At Katahdin Stream Campground:
    Tent sites 16 and 17 are roomy, plenty of space for two or three backpacking tents.
    Lean-tos 1-3 are quiet walk-ins, lean-tos 4-8 are streamside and away from the parking area.
    (Pro-tip: tentsite 16 is the northernmost site on the AT!)"
    Please be patient when calling the Park - Rangers are answering the phone and processing reservations as quickly as they can. Today is a very busy day, as MEGAs starting June 1st are all calling in. Don't forget you reserve on line, too!
    Map of Katahdin Stream Campground
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Site 16

We had site 16 in 1977 while tent trailer camping. After summiting Katahdin, I came down and watched hikers coming past the site. Jokingly, I thought we might make money having meals for those returning hikers. Then we were evacuated because of a forest fire.

First time I went to BSP, the campground was full. Planned on hiking the next day, but a hurricane hit during the night. Dont know how we missed that forecast. The next morning, we woke up and the campground was deserted with trees down everywhere. Apparently, almost everyone but us and a few stubborn thru hikers had left in the night. A few thru hikers attempted to climb, but the 70mph gusts chased them off the mountain. We went to treeline and called it good. Scary place with all that wind howling about.

Hey all, I just made my reservation over the phone. Wanted to pass on some things I learned that were not obvious on the website.

1. Create an account for their online registration before calling/mailing. They will need it on their end to create your receipt.

2. If somebody is seeing you off, it is $15 per vehicle and can be paid in advance with your reservation.

Now that I have that done, I am so excited!

Congrats, Huli! Good reminder about the gate fee for out-of-state vehicles!
    Teej

That a new change last year where they offered the option to pay the gate fee in advance. Its cuts down on handling as much cash at the gate and speeds up time at the gate.

I called yesterday and reserved a spot for June 1st. So excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Iron View Post
    I called yesterday and reserved a spot for June 1st. So excited!
    Biggest start day so far for registered MEGAs!
    Teej

++ New Posts ++