WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by bladnik26 View Post
    I have an Osprey Exos 48 that I have been training with for months and was planning on using for my upcoming 2017 NOBO thru-hike, but once I got all my gear together, I began to realize my minimalist pack-size mentality could be a problem. My sleeping pad is a ThermaRest ProLite Plus, and rolls up shorter than 12", so it cannot be held to the bottom of the pack with the given cords. My question then, is what is the best way of externally mounting my sleeping bag, a Kelty Tuck 22, to the bottom of my pack? Bungees? Accessory straps? How? Onto what? Thanks for your input, and happy trails!
    I don't see the Osprey Exos 48 as a minimalist pack size. i don't see that pack being your larger issue. I see the synthetic Kelty Tuck 22* at 3 lbs (for up to 6' users) for that temp rating and 8"x13" packed size being more of the issue.

To each their own but I like sleeping bags stored inside my pack not outside and NOT hanging off the bottom of a pack which interferes with my stride. In this case if you stored the sleeping pad vertically via some UL cinch straps outside the pack making sure to thread one of the cinch straps through the included ProLite Plus stuff sack cord height med height on the back and used a compression sack to get that sleeping bag volume down a bit I'd go that route instead.

Disadvantage to this is possible hole in the inflatable ProLite Plus but the Plus is a bit beefier than say the Neo Air Xlite and the stuff sack, attaching up med-high on the back of the pack(as opposed to letting it dangle from the lower axe/trekking pole/gear loops or tying lower to pack) and with a little care to not just throw your pack onto the ground on it's shovel pocket/back side should be just fine.

If you still are adamant about the sleeping pad outside hanging from the lower Exos loops you could put cinch straps around the pad and then attach to the strap to the loops. This will likely result in a lower hanging sleeping pad.

People firmly attach gear to some extent safely onto the outside of their packs regularly including sleeping bags and sleeping pads including inflatable sleeping pads. In retrospect might be a good learning experience to get your food and water volume dialed down.

Tipi Walter although having a humongous wt and volume load, and doing short mileage days, does it regularly. Depends on how you hike and you're willingness to make adaptations- things work for yourself.

Just noticed nsherry's pics. there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Isn't 48 a top loader? Ditch stuff sacks for all cloths, bag etc..1 compactor bag utilizes space more efficiently...or as others said put pad under brain as thats how my son carries his bulky syn bag and ccf pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who's that brat? Wasn't he running around looking for a little lost yappy JRT cashing a bear?

Apple didn't fall too far from the tree. Looks just like his dad. Poor boy having to grow up looking like that. Maybe, he'll grow out of those looks?

Good looking kid like his dad. Mother must be good looking too. That's a kid having a good time...with his DAD taking the time to invest in his son. NICE Salty! WOW, something normal and showing consideration for familty. Every pic of you too Salty you have that look of contentment this is where I want to be doing this thing in the moment sane not escaped from the psycho ward or chain gang look.

Quote Originally Posted by bladnik26 View Post
    I have an Osprey Exos 48 that I have been training with for months and was planning on using for my upcoming 2017 NOBO thru-hike, but once I got all my gear together, I began to realize my minimalist pack-size mentality could be a problem. My sleeping pad is a ThermaRest ProLite Plus, and rolls up shorter than 12", so it cannot be held to the bottom of the pack with the given cords. My question then, is what is the best way of externally mounting my sleeping bag, a Kelty Tuck 22, to the bottom of my pack? Bungees? Accessory straps? How? Onto what? Thanks for your input, and happy trails!
    Late to the party on this one but:

1. Granite Gear makes a "Tough Sack" stuff sack specifcally designed for a thermarest rolled without folding in half first, if you even need to carry it on the outside.

2. Try this out (in whatever pack you use). Fully deflate the pad. Place in the backpack first like a large tube or barrel, and then expand it to take up the whole inside circumference of the bag. Now pack into that void.

For my weekend trips I hump an Atmos 50 with warm clothes, sleeping bag, Jetboil, UL2 platinum, SLX, ZLite, food, and miscellaneous items and I have LOTS of extra room. Note: ZLite goes on the outside. I just grabbed an Ohm 2.0 and its huge for my weekenders. A 48L Exos seems like it should handle a week's carry if your gear is appropriate and you're packing right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Who's that brat? Wasn't he running around looking for a little lost yappy JRT cashing a bear?

Apple didn't fall too far from the tree. Looks just like his dad. Poor boy having to grow up looking like that. Maybe, he'll grow out of those looks?

Good looking kid like his dad. Mother must be good looking too. That's a kid having a good time...with his DAD taking the time to invest in his son. NICE Salty! WOW, something normal and showing consideration for familty. Every pic of you too Salty you have that look of contentment this is where I want to be doing this thing in the moment sane not escaped from the psycho ward or chain gang look.
    Haaaaa!!! LMAO....

DW
    Yea mom is a looker.....he gets his looks from her!

With Boo Boo baby honey pie hanging around just back from a wally world Hamm's beer run looking sa durn wighteous you tah must never weave da trailer.

Did she steel'er dat chair from Archie Bunker?

Son has the same smile as you with that same facial expression. Son(and JRT) look like they are having a riot. Bet the kid gives out before the dog.

With Boo Boo baby honey pie hanging around just back from a wally world Hamm's beer run looking sa durn wighteous you tah must never weave da trailer.

Did she steel'er dat chair from Archie Bunker?

Son has the same smile as you with that same facial expression. Son(and JRT) look like they are having a riot. Bet the kid gives out before the dog.
    ....actually found a pic from a trip last year with the wife....going UL!!!

Images

My husband saw that picture and wanted to go buy that REI pack for our next walk in the woods, naughty boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    My husband saw that picture and wanted to go buy that REI pack for our next walk in the woods, naughty boy!

I'm hungry.

That's taking UL to the next level.

I have a big 2 p tent. You look a little chilly.

If someone came out with a hiker girl calendar like that date function on my watch would suddenly see much less use.

Why, why hasn't it been done yet... hiker girl calendar...signed...with a lipstick kiss on every month's hiker pic, with added UL powdered bonus red wine packet...while supplies last?

I'm hungry.

That's taking UL to the next level.

I have a big 2 p tent. You look a little chilly.
    This your tent? Ha u wish!!!!

Wow, which tent is that??

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Wow, which tent is that??
    Looks like a Marmot! I'd gladly carry that heavy tent for her!!!!

I have in the past taken my inflatable, lined the inside of my bag with it, then stuffed my sleeping bag in second filling up the bottom of my pack. A Prolite should fit, fine this way in a 48L bag. This gets rid of two stuff sacks, it makes loading easier in the morning and setting up at night. If anything goes on the outside of my pack it is my tent, tarp and or poles.

Always have liked Marmots.

Please stop now. The kid is watching.

Sex in a Tent is a good read for folks to open up their minds to the idea of getting intimate in the outdoors. Leave it casually laying(no pun intended) around the house for the SO to browse pre trip. Bet she looks at it. Might surprise you is she's more creatively open to experiencing romance outdoors if we take some hints to fulfill our partner's desires.

Always have liked Marmots.

Please stop now. The kid is watching.

Sex in a Tent is a good read for folks to open up their minds to the idea of getting intimate in the outdoors. Leave it casually laying(no pun intended) around the house for the SO to browse pre trip. Bet she looks at it. Might surprise you is she's more creatively open to experiencing romance outdoors if we take some hints to fulfill our partner's desires.
    I guess the term "more head room applies". I knew I bought the DUO MID for a reason!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++