WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL Tarp

Default UL Tarp

I've always been a tarper, but now I'm looking to switch out my regular ol' blue tarp for an UL tarp. Any recommendations? Just has to be big enough for someone 5'2" and a 55 pound dog. Also, where do y'all get ground cloths/what kind without paying REI prices, or do you just suck it up and pay for something that won't rip.

Oh, and this is for an AT thru hike.

for the ground cloth just go to the hardware store or home depot and get yourself some shrink film for sealing up windows in the winter. It's polycryo and it's the same stuff gossamer gear sells at a fraction of the price. it's plenty tough and light and if it does rip, just grab a new one at the hardware store on the next resupply. it's tough until a rip starts. then the rip won't stop. but you could tape up any small tears or holes with tape until the next town. lots of people use it.

Been using polycro for years as a ground cloth. I've been using Mountain Laurel Designs tarps for for just as long. Not cheap but well made. Ron will make custom sizes but they are non returnable.

I like this: http://www.shop.backpackingadventure...rps-DBSilT.htm My ground cloth is cut from the good part of a worn out silnylon tarp.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    for the ground cloth just go to the hardware store or home depot and get yourself some shrink film for sealing up windows in the winter. It's polycryo and it's the same stuff gossamer gear sells at a fraction of the price. it's plenty tough and light and if it does rip, just grab a new one at the hardware store on the next resupply. it's tough until a rip starts. then the rip won't stop. but you could tape up any small tears or holes with tape until the next town. lots of people use it.
    That seriously looks more and more what makes sense. 6 ounce tarp, replace as needed.

I'm surprised I've not seem more on making such tarps and using them.

I now have an 8.5'x10' cuben tarp that I will use on my thru hike but used a silnylon one for years and they will work if you are on a budget. The only down side of silnylon is it will weight about 1/3 more when wet. I like a larger size tarp for the multiple ways I can set it up with as much or little protection as needed. Small tarp usually means carrying a bivy but it is usually lighter weight to just have a bigger tarp. Also a large tarp would be no problem for you with your dog or your dog and a another person if needed. And I too use a polycryo ground cloth.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thread....133662/page-2

on making a polycro tarp.

And:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...ge/2/#comments

10x6 polycro. Pick up .7 mil at home depo or wal mart.

Make a spare for mail out when the first dies.

Half a pound tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thread....133662/page-2

on making a polycro tarp.

And:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...ge/2/#comments

10x6 polycro. Pick up .7 mil at home depo or wal mart.

Make a spare for mail out when the first dies.

Half a pound tarp.
    i would not trust my life and safty on a through hike to a polycro shelter !

Thom

Fair. I always use tarps to set my tent up under so that I can set up and take down dry while weather is bad. I'm not using them as my sole shelter like some have used shower curtains or bovines.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    i would not trust my life and safty on a through hike to a polycro shelter !
    I wouldn't trust my life and safety to any shelter alone. My shelter is my comfort in inclement conditions.

My safety is my rain-gear, insulation, knowledge, fitness, navigation and whatnot . . . and yes, shelter that I carry, make, find, or whatever. I would hope that whatever tarp you choose to carry on an AT thru-hike is not so much a matter of life and death as it is comfort and convenience that, along with many other tools, can also contribute to safety, which yes, even a shower curtain or garbage bag can also do (just not as much as a quality tarp, or tent, or motor-home).

Draw your line where you will and have fun with it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I'll skip the bushcraft / backpacking light ultralight shelter idea . Stick with a old school Cubanfiber shaped tarp and polycro ground cloth.
    Thom

I'll skip the bushcraft / backpacking light ultralight shelter idea . Stick with a old school Cubanfiber shaped tarp and polycro ground cloth.
    "old school Cubanfiber shaped tarp and polycro"??? What? Are you joking or serious?

I totally appreciate having good reliable light gear. But "old school" for that gear. Give me a break! Actually, cuban fiber and polycryo are the essense of "backpacking light" and new school in my perception of the world.

. . . yahoo!! Winter is returning . . . it's cold and just started snowing outside!!! . . .

Plastic sheets with duck tape grommets are old-school, at least when I was in boy scouts in the 60's. Old-school before that was canvas tarps or bush-crafting.

I think you are saying you like new-school, latest ultralight, but sturdy and as expensive as it needs to be.

As a note, I have tarp camped through two different hurricanes (yes, on purpose) to play with cheep and ultra-light gear. Both times I left the tarps up for a second day to test the robustness of the setup. The "huricanes" in both cases were actually just the edges of big storms with sustained winds of 20-30 mph, gusting to 40 mph. Both times, the tarps held up like champions. Don't underestimate the power of a well pitched cheep piece of plastic for shelter.

In the first case, I made a tarp out of a Sol emergency blanket (the double sized one) by adding tape loops as tie-outs around the edge. That reflective stuff is surprisingly effective at adding some heat underneath this pitch. Guys were all attached with rubber band shock absorbers or it would NOT have survived. Surprised the heck out of me that it did survive. I think the attached picture was taken before the storm hit and before I crawled in to sleep. Yes, it was pitched so most of the wind came from the back side and didn't balloon the tarp up very often, although it certainly did occasionally gust into the front of the tarp. There were definitely some stretch marks in the plastic at the end, but it all held together.
    Sol Tarp.jpg

In the second case, I used a cheep blue (actually it was a cammo colored one) poly tarp. Pretty much the same story as above, except that I new it would hold up fine since I've used these in all kinds of storms for all kinds of things in the past. Again, shock absorbers at the tie-outs are key to survival of these cheaper and less robust shelter options when being buffeted by strong winds.

Camo tarp pitch.jpg

How much did each weigh and which did you like best?

I have a Deschutes and a hexamid solo . Hexamid,polycro ground cloth, tent stakes, carbon fiber trekking poll extender and small stuff sack is 11.5 oz. the Deschutes is 13 oz . I like both

thom

Images

I have a Deschutes and a hexamid solo . Hexamid,polycro ground cloth, tent stakes, carbon fiber trekking poll extender and small stuff sack is 11.5 oz. the Deschutes is 13 oz . I like both

thom
    Not questioning using a tarp, just trying to understand. What's the advantage in using a tarp that weighs 13 ounces over using something like a Zpacks Soloplex that only weighs a couple ounces more, while providing a bathtub floor and bug netting? By the time you add a groundsheet to your tarp, the Soloplex is lighter, even with a bug net...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I don't remember weights exactly. I think the Sol emergency blanket is around 4 oz while the camo tarp is around 1.5 lbs (it's the light weight poly tarp, not the medium or heavy weight versions).

The Sol "tarp" is awesome in it's lightness, warmth, and total minimalist dirtbagging aesthetic. The 8 x 10 cammo tarp is much bigger and more comfortable and drier than the tiny Sol "tarp" which is almost exactly the same size as my poncho tarp. I would feel pretty good about planning on cowboy camping with only the Sol "tarp" as a shelter during typical 3-season weather where it wouldn't be pitched every night for weeks on end. I'd prefer the cammo poly tarp if I'm heading out expecting inclement weather. I did a winter trip in the Oregon Cascades a couple years ago using that same cammo tarp as my only shelter. It was quite acceptable, even if slightly bulkier and heavier than it's more hi-tech and expensive brethren. And, in all honesty, if I wasn't just playing around, I'd take a lighter, stronger silnylon or cuban fiber 6x10, 8x10 or 10x10 tarp if they were all sitting side by side for me to choose from. I just hate people thinking they need expensive and high-tech products to go have lots of fun outside.

If you look closely at my image of the cammo tarp, you'll notice an Ikea Tilkort, 100% polyester, $14 twin comforter (2.1 lbs?) that worked well down into the low 40's. I should see how low it goes, but haven't spent the time playing with it this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Not questioning using a tarp, just trying to understand. What's the advantage in using a tarp that weighs 13 ounces over using something like a Zpacks Soloplex that only weighs a couple ounces more, while providing a bathtub floor and bug netting? By the time you add a groundsheet to your tarp, the Soloplex is lighter, even with a bug net...

I dont need a bug net or bathtub bathtub floor often . A used Deschutes was $110 . I could not afford a $300 Tarp . My kids got me a hexamid solo . It's only 6oz with lines. I have a net tent if I need it . Mostly just use tarp ,polycro and a headnet

thom

thanks for the weight estimates.

I'm looking to replace a Noah's Taro I use for setting up my tent under in rain. It contains the wet.

I'm still playing around with alternatives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++