WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is anyone hiking the AT now?

For the last decade during the off season when I'm in Florida for the Winter I track those hardy souls who "start early". I track them on TrailJournals.com. I enjoy reading about the day to day adventures in the cold. Each year there are about a half dozen who start early and have a Trail Journal account. This year for some reason, nothing. I know that Thru hikers have started so this is about Trail Journals. I have noticed that for the past few years the numbers of hikers are reported to go up by at least 10% each year and the numbers using Trail Journals has gone down. My question is, where have "on Line" journals gone and how can I find them?

"vlogs" or video logs on youtube No central repository like trailjournals.com Gotta do some searching, but it seems that this is the more popular way to journal a thru.

Images

I've looked at TJ as well and you're right, there is a complete absence of hikers in January this year. I was hoping to get some idea of trail conditions post fire.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

You don't have to be an official "AT" backpacker to pull a January trip. Heck I just got back from a 17 day January trip on parts of the BMT and not far from the vaunted and holy Appalachian Trail (below link), so what's the difference, boys?? The mountains are the same, the creeks are the same, the humps with weight are the same etc.

A trail is a trail and cold is cold and hiking is hiking and gear is gear.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=21337

It's probably for the best that no one (that we know of) started the AT in January---unless you like reading about town bails and hot showers and zero motel days and AYCE restaurants, despite the fact that this January (except for a couple days) was one of the warmest on record---

I had planned to start Jan 1 but work obligations forced me to delay to this Sat Feb 4. Trail Journal name Bulldog.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye49 View Post
    I had planned to start Jan 1 but work obligations forced me to delay to this Sat Feb 4. Trail Journal name Bulldog.
    does that makes this a retirement adventure after the last few days of work?
    Lazarus

Leonidas

Mountain Crossings has reported at least 6 NOBO's that I am aware of. But no journals to be found, same as Engine, looking for post-fire trail reports. Trip in July will either be Dicks - GSMNP South boundary, GSMNP South - Hot Springs or Hot Springs - Erwin.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You don't have to be an official "AT" backpacker to pull a January trip. Heck I just got back from a 17 day January trip on parts of the BMT and not far from the vaunted and holy Appalachian Trail (below link), so what's the difference, boys?? The mountains are the same, the creeks are the same, the humps with weight are the same etc.

It's probably for the best that no one (that we know of) started the AT in January---unless you like reading about town bails and hot showers and zero motel days and AYCE restaurants, despite the fact that this January (except for a couple days) was one of the warmest on record---
    Back already? This trip seemed shorter to me.

The "wild wild walkz" guy on yourube started 10 jan.

Images

Tipi, some days your positive and uplifting nature is exactly what the doctor ordered...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye49 View Post
    I saw that journal and planned on following until I leave on the 26th. I think you're the going to be the first thru-hiker journal on TJ this year.

Journal Entries
    Images

OP specified the AT, as in "Is anyone hiking the AT now?" so why debate who else was hiking off of the AT?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

The only one I've seen consistently post is a young man named Sam Rush. You can find him on Instagram and Facebook (currently unable to post links). His last pic was a great shot of him at Clingmans Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    OP specified the AT, as in "Is anyone hiking the AT now?" so why debate who else was hiking off of the AT?
    Just wanted the OP to know that if he's interested in reading about winter backpackers in January on trails similar to the AT then there's stuff out there.

Is anyone hiking the AT now?? Maybe not, but go a few miles west and you'll find some action. If it has to be the AT only and only the AT, well, loosen up and get flexible and broaden your horizons to the same kind of trails but with different names.

Images

I just got back yesterday from hiking Allen Gap to Hot Springs.As soon as I got above 2500ft there was 4-6" of snow and 1'drifts a little higher.It took me 4 hours to do the 3.5 miles from AG to Spring Mtn. shelter.I stayed there in my tent as it was a bit windy at times and the high temp on Monday was only 32* One word of caution for anyone hiking that section.About 1/2 mile north of the shelter,the Carolina Mtn. Club has not refreshed the white blazes on the last climb or descent in this area.With snow covering the ground,finding your way,if not familiar, is hard in this area.I did post this to their Facebook page. I packed out about 3lbs of trash from the shelter and put in a few nails in the tarp on the front of the shelter. Tuesday as I was leaving Rich Mtn. fire tower I did meet one of the first of this year's NOBOs.He left Springer Mtn. on 1-8 and said that there were 5 or 6 close behind him. He was wearing trail runners and he asked how my Vasque Snoburbans did in snow & cold. I said it was much better than wet trail runners as he may find more snow as he moves NOBO.Here's a few pics. of my trip.003.JPG007.JPG009.JPG023.JPG029.JPG003.JPG017.JPG
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I assume from the replies you mean thru hikers but yes, Ive been hiking the AT every weekend but one or two since last summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    does that makes this a retirement adventure after the last few days of work?
    Yep, last day of work was Jan 21. My replacement wasn't working out so I agreed to stay on.

Great pics The Cleaner. Always good to see hikers trudging thru snow and taking 4 hours to go 3.5 miles. And always wonderful to see hikers using their tents instead of the rat-box shelters.

Images

Great pics The Cleaner. Always good to see hikers trudging thru snow and taking 4 hours to go 3.5 miles. And always wonderful to see hikers using their tents instead of the rat-box shelters.
    Thanks Tipi. I usually clean them but don't use them.I'd heard from many hikers that the mice are very active here.With all the garbage left behind it's a no brainer where they come from.That thru hike I met had a pack about the size of my day pack.It looked like he had no tent and was using shelters.When a mouse chews a hole in his sleeping bag he may get his own shelter.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    I have noticed that for the past few years the numbers of hikers are reported to go up by at least 10% each year and the numbers using Trail Journals has gone down. My question is, where have "on Line" journals gone and how can I find them?
    Vlogs on Youtube as mentioned
    #AppalachianTrail on Instagram
    Facebook pages
    Personal websites or piggybacking on Wordpress.com, Blogger.com or similar.
    Postholer to a lesser extent
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++