WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking Schedule for AT

I hiked the AT NoBo in 2013. Being slightly anal retentive, I kept records of when I started hiking each day & when I stopped. I included this info in a Google Spreadsheet. I was 58 yrs old when I did the hike. I finished just a few days short of my 59th birthday. NoBo hikers might find this information helpful in planning their hike. Also, I used mail drops almost exclusively on the trail. I included info on these resupplies as comments in specific cells.

The spreadsheet is in the signature line of my post. I'll also include it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Anyway, I wish the 2017 thru-hikers the best. Happy Trails!!
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Wow, you were making some good miles very early on. I'll be starting about the same time as you and will turn 58 at about 2 weeks in. Any thoughts on work out regiment prior to trail? Thanks for posting that information!

That's really cool! You definitely made good time on your hike and didn't dilly dally with too many zero days. Also good choice on the White Mountains hostel, I was ready to quit the trail and live there!

Thanks
    Excellent , just on time .
    Im planing my thru hike and there is an important Info.
    5-6-2017 Flip Flop HF NoBo
    Thanks again

Awesome info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Having that level of detail to review is really handy, thanks for sharing!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by hyperslug View Post
    Wow, you were making some good miles very early on. I'll be starting about the same time as you and will turn 58 at about 2 weeks in. Any thoughts on work out regiment prior to trail? Thanks for posting that information!
    My workout routine at the time was: Full-body weight workout, 2 days a week (Mon & Fri); running 5 days a week (~3M on 4 days & 10M on Sun). Hiking: Dayhikes w/ backpack 1 day a week (8M) for many weeks leading up to the hike; twice a week the last month.

Backpacking: Did some local weekend hikes in state parks in TX. Did the Outer Mountain Loop (Big Ben Nat'l Park) after Christmas and a backpacking trip over Spring Break (just days before the AT hike) in the Grand Canyon.

When I was on the AT, a 3000' climb didn't faze me. I knew it would be hard but I'd climbed 4800' climb in one go the previous month.

I did slow down toward the end. I think my body needed more zeros.

WOW that is a great bit of information! I am not that disciplined to keep up like that, but this helps a lot actually with planning the 2nd attempt (resupply points, I like totals and averages too).
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

Great data. You don't by any chance have expense data to add do you? Not for me, but it's a question that comes up all the time here on WB and would help many would be thru-hikers in their planning. There are some spreadsheets out there with that info, and it's interesting to see expense comparisons. But again, great data as it is.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

4-Eyedbuzzard: If I had my phone I used on the trail, I could come up w/ a more accurate figure. I don't have the same app on my new phone that I used to track my expenses. Short answer? Around $6,600. I started splurging toward the end. I'd write in shelter journals about spending my grand-kids' inheritance. If my wife asks you, knock off $2K from that figure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    ... If my wife asks you, knock off $2K from that figure.
    That's good stuff. LOL
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Carl wisely worked his way into hiking and then thru-hiking condition as it seems he was aware was the approach that was working for him by averaging lower MPD in the first 20 days then ramped it up gradually as seen in his increased MPD avg in days 21 to 40, particularly if you throw out his neros or short days in/out of Erwin, Hampton, and Damascus. Then, he ramps up his avg MPD even more in days 41- 60. YET, Carl was aware enough, NOT hiking like a mindless run away freight train, to say this, "I did slow down toward the end. I think my body needed more zeros."

That's being considerate of one's own hike, ones's own situation.

Carl's well documented daily and weekly itinerary data, just in what is shared, demonstrates how to lower risks for LD hikers, especially first time LD hikers(AT thru-hikers), which largely get hurt or mentally taxed leading to quitting in the early phases.

Combine the shake down hikes of the Outer Loop(good hike) in Big Bend NP for accustoming to personal water logistics and a somewhat remote feel and Grand Canyon NP large elevation change experiences adds to the mental and physical strengthening.

So darn nice to have heard this: "When I was on the AT, a 3000' climb didn't faze me. I knew it would be hard but I'd climbed 4800' climb in one go the previous month.

I did slow down toward the end. I think my body needed more zeros."

That's having awareness and adaptability and shows what some pre LD hike prep, WITHOUT GETTING OVERLY COMPLEX, can do going into a thru-hike.

Nice Carl. Enjoyed you succinctly sharing your experiences. Some golden nuggets of advice in what Carl did!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Carl wisely worked his way into hiking and then thru-hiking condition as it seems he was aware was the approach that was working for him by averaging lower MPD in the first 20 days then ramped it up gradually as seen in his increased MPD avg in days 21 to 40, particularly if you throw out his neros or short days in/out of Erwin, Hampton, and Damascus. Then, he ramps up his avg MPD even more in days 41- 60. YET, Carl was aware enough, NOT hiking like a mindless run away freight train, to say this, "I did slow down toward the end. I think my body needed more zeros."

That's being considerate of one's own hike, ones's own situation.

Carl's well documented daily and weekly itinerary data, just in what is shared, demonstrates how to lower risks for LD hikers, especially first time LD hikers(AT thru-hikers), which largely get hurt or mentally taxed leading to quitting in the early phases.

Combine the shake down hikes of the Outer Loop(good hike) in Big Bend NP for accustoming to personal water logistics and a somewhat remote feel and Grand Canyon NP large elevation change experiences adds to the mental and physical strengthening.

So darn nice to have heard this: "When I was on the AT, a 3000' climb didn't faze me. I knew it would be hard but I'd climbed 4800' climb in one go the previous month.

I did slow down toward the end. I think my body needed more zeros."

That's having awareness and adaptability and shows what some pre LD hike prep, WITHOUT GETTING OVERLY COMPLEX, can do going into a thru-hike.

Nice Carl. Enjoyed you succinctly sharing your experiences. Some golden nuggets of advice in what Carl did!
    Thanks. I did intentionally go slower (less miles) in the beginning. I kept thinking that this was a marathon & not a sprint. I knew the AT would be hard. I was surprised how hard it really was. Especially mentally. I hope the post will prove helpful to future thru-hikers.

Images

Great stuff thanks for posting!

Thank you very helpful/useful information.

++ New Posts ++