WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Most Wilderness Areas do not allow wheeled carts, bicycles or motorized vehicles. They usually allow horses, llamas or other livestock, but restrict to some trails and have restrictions on the type of feed that may be transported.

National Forest & BLM lands tend to adopt a "multi-use" philosophy allowing others to participate in outdoor recreation.

Mountain Bikers tend to be like most of us, courteous, thoughtful and respecting the land although some might be like others, constantly complaining about shelter dwellers, ultra light hikers, thru hikers, ultra runners, weekend backpackers, town re-suppliers, horse riders, motorcyclist, pickup truck drivers, well you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Most Wilderness Areas do not allow wheeled carts, bicycles or motorized vehicles. They usually allow horses, llamas or other livestock, but restrict to some trails and have restrictions on the type of feed that may be transported.

National Forest & BLM lands tend to adopt a "multi-use" philosophy allowing others to participate in outdoor recreation.

Mountain Bikers tend to be like most of us, courteous, thoughtful and respecting the land . . . .
    There's a dang good reason bicycles are not allowed in wilderness areas. Here's the first video which pops up on Google---

Who wants to be hiking when these idiots zoom by? And yes, most trail bicyclists tend to race down hills at high speeds---and they don't have to be part of a sanctioned race when these riders take advantage of gravity. Such speeds are incompatible with hiking speeds. Ergo they don't belong in wilderness.

Deep breath, ok one more time. Areas designated "Wilderness" as defined by the 1964 Wilderness Act do not allow wheeled, mechanical conveyances of any type.

In National Forest or BLM areas, many are multi-use including motorized recreation and mountain bikes. If you go there, don't complain, if that's possible.

Deep breath, ok one more time. Areas designated "Wilderness" as defined by the 1964 Wilderness Act do not allow wheeled, mechanical conveyances of any type.

In National Forest or BLM areas, many are multi-use including motorized recreation and mountain bikes. If you go there, don't complain, if that's possible.
    Oops, caught these guys in the Citico Creek wilderness on the North Fork trail---

TRIP 170 026 GREEN.jpg

Caught some more in the Upper Bald wilderness---
    P1000249-XL.jpg

No bikes in wilderness? Think again.

Wow,

Do you have any pictures or videos of cars breaking the speed limit or bicyclist running stop signs or defensive backs holding or people texting while driving?

What did you do with the bikers when you "caught" them? Take them back to their city of origin or tie them up in your vestibule for the authorities.

Wow,

Do you have any pictures or videos of cars breaking the speed limit or bicyclist running stop signs or defensive backs holding or people texting while driving?

What did you do with the bikers when you "caught" them? Take them back to their city of origin or tie them up in your vestibule for the authorities.
    I'm pretty sure he was just pointing out, that just because it is not allowed, people will still do it. And yes...they have a right to complain about it. Geezzz......

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday View Post
    Cant believe I didn't know about the Pinhoti Trail unitl now. I had heard of it while at Cheaha state park but I didn't realixze it was a long distance trail. I want to section/thru hike the trail (atleast the AL section since I hear the GA section isn't all that spectacular) to hel p prep for the AT section hiking trips.

Can anyone tell me any tips or guides I can use to get this in motion. Ive done some but not a lot of research and haven't found to much info on the hike as far as shelters, trail towns, resupplies etc etc. So if anyone has some sound advice and caresto point me in the right direction, itll be greatly appreciated.
    I'm in Huntsville, and have done some weekend sections. If you want a partner, or someone to shuttle with let me know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++