WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Contact Lens VS Glasses

I realize for weight purposes, glasses are probably better, however, when I hike I like having sunglasses on, and to be able to wear those (squinting makes my head hurt) I'll have to wear contacts.
    Contacts, on the other hand, tend to dry out due to sweat and dirt from the trail, etc.
    Who here with less than 20-20 have delt with this?
    Are glasses or contacts better for the trail?
    (Also, my vision is pretty bad, so if I break my glasses, I'm pretty much screwed).

I wore glasses with transitions lenses so they automatically doubled as sunglasses as well. I carried a spare pair the first few hundred miles, then kept those in my bounce box. I got a strap along the way to keep them from falling off and used it during the more rock-climby sections.

One benefit glasses have is shielding your eyes a bit in high winds. The only problem I really had was when a mouse chewed one earpiece in a shelter one night.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I don't have any trouble with glasses. Solid plastic frames, built-in nosepiece, glass lenses. I never fold mine up, so I never have to re-tighten them. You can always get clip-on sunglasses, which can be pretty convenient, light, and not too expensive. Fogging and mist/ rain spray can be issues, but nothing you can't deal with while hiking. For me, those inconveniences are much less burdensome than contact cleaning and replacement.
    -Mark

I carry both my regular pair and prescription sunglasses. I also carry a real case. Heavy? Maybe, I could save weight, but if your as bad visioned as me, you carry it. If I break my real glasses, I am screwed. So my sunglasses are also there as a backup.
    It isn't that expensive either to get a pair of sunglasses-you can do it for $50-100.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Default contacts

I always wear my contacts when backpacking...I spent one month long trip with glasses and vowed never again. I don't find that my contacts get very dried out and have only had a few instances of dirt getting stuck under them. Maybe you should try contacts that are more breathable if yours get dried out - I have two week ones (which I wear for about a month) that I can sleep in in a pinch.
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

http://www.trailjournals.com/SideWedge/

Default I only wear glasses, ever...

I tried contacts (both hard and soft), and decided neither was remotely worth the trouble, excepting that soft contacts were nice to have in when I sparred in karate class (due to higher likelihood of a stray punch dinging my glasses). While hiking on the AT, where cleanliness is more difficult than normal, and medical attention in case of an opthalmic problem is much farther away than usual, I cannot imagine for one second using contact lenses.

I started with contacts but got an eye infection at Damascus, switched to glasses,but carried disposable contacts as a backup..The problem with glasses is that they fog up. The problem with contacts is keeping then clean.. If I were to do it again I would wear glasses most of the time and keep the contacts for backup.. The glasses are still in good shape after the long hike..

Default "The problem with glasses is that they fog up"

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker
    I started with contacts but got an eye infection at Damascus, switched to glasses,but carried disposable contacts as a backup..The problem with glasses is that they fog up. The problem with contacts is keeping then clean.. If I were to do it again I would wear glasses most of the time and keep the contacts for backup.. The glasses are still in good shape after the long hike..
    [img]http://data.solidcactus.com/cjimages...inglastrea.gif [/img]

[img]http://www.plazabmw.com/Images/Pictu...g_RAIN%20X.gif[/img]

Now, in the hiker-friendly wipes version:

[img]http://www.clorders.com/pics/rainxrx68268.jpg[img]

I know this isn't an option for everyone! After 30+ years of wearing specs I sacked up and got laser surgery. I went from 20-400 to 20-15 in about 2 minutes per eye with no side effects. I can't recommend it enough. Totally changed my attitude about the rain!

I used glasses. DO bring a hard case for them so you don't break them. Broke an arm off mine and tried everything from JB Weld to super glue and none of them held together more than 2 days. As was mentioned you can use clipons or transitional lenses to address the sunglass issue.

To the laser surgery. I hiked for about 2 weeks with someone who had it. The one big problem they had was in the evenings when shadows started forming it really screwed with their vision, especially in rocky and unlevel terrain.

I haven't hiked long distance yet, but I always wear my contacts - everywhere - and have never had a problem with them. I wear gas permeable lenses, and I just make sure to wash my hands before handling the contacts.
    It is a hassle putting them in, but I feel it's a lot less hassle to be careful and put them in once a day than to put up with some of the problems with glasses all day long. I just see so much better in my contacts with less distortion.
    I've thought about laser surgery since it would be great to wake up able to see, but it just seems so scary to let someone near my eyes with a laser.

Oops. Forgot to say I've used my contacts on many weekend backpacking trips.

Images

I use contacts, as well, and have for decades. Old half-joke I usually tell about them to demonstrate their importance: if we have a fire, I'm out the window with my pants and contacts. If pressed, forget the pants!

I'd love to try the LASIX surgery, but having had surgery on one eye already (unrelated), I'm finding it's taking a lot to screw my courage up enough to actually make the appointment.

As River Runner says, just make sure you wash your hands before handling. (Good idea even if you don't wear contacts.) Unscented alcohol based hand sanitizer helps, as well, but be SURE to rinse after use! (Talk about burning!) Also makes a good emergency firestarter.

Default Contacts

I used contacts on my AT hike and on my PCT attempt. Only carried contacts on the AT, and that worked fine. A little hard to put the things in on cold mornings, but I learned quickly to sleep with the contact case inside my sleeping bag and that made it a lot easier.

On the PCT I had both contacts and glasses. I ended up leaving the glasses in a hotel and had to have them mailed back home. No problem really, since I hardly used them anyway. Mainly just in camp at nights right before I went to bed and didn't really need them anyway, and in towns.

I really dislike hiking in glasses, especially in hot weather because of the sweat dripping onto them, but also just normally, because of the loss of some side vision. Just easier to hike with them once they're in. Just make sure you carry enough solution, use it to wipe your hands off before you put the contacts in, and carry a small pack towel (or something similar) that is used only for cleaning your hands before putting in the contacts.

Just my $.02
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    A little hard to put the things in on cold mornings, but I learned quickly to sleep with the contact case inside my sleeping bag and that made it a lot easier.
    What, you don't find that early morning ice cube in the eye feeling exhilarating? Wakes you up faster than a cup of good, strong coffee!

Default Both?

I wore contacts for my thru last year, but carried glasses in the bottom of my pack as a "safety net." I know, not exactly ultralight, but safe...

In my "normal" life, I remove and clean my contacts every night. On my hike, however, I just left them in full time, and had no problems (to my surprise). When I got into town I would take them out and wear glasses to give my eyes a break. I actually had less problems on the trail with my contacts than I do at home, probably due to less handling. I never had any problems with sweat or dirt bothering me so bad that I had to remove my contacts while on the trail (and filthy).

I'd say do a "shake down" hike with contacts and see how you like it, but if you're going long-distance, then just start with contacts. If it doesn't work, you can always send them home after a resupply or two.
    Boomerang
    GA->ME 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain
    What, you don't find that early morning ice cube in the eye feeling exhilarating? Wakes you up faster than a cup of good, strong coffee!
    Ain't the the truth! Wakes you up in the "just got kicked in the groin" sort of way. *shudder*
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Default glasses

I've done long distance hiking in my glasses. And I'm still using the same pair. I got a durable plastic frame that didn't have nose pads. So nothing could fall off. I used a sporty string so that if they did fall off, they wouldn't fall to the ground. I wore a bandana so there was never sweat falling onto the glasses...or into my eyes for that matter. I kept a copy of my prescription in my wallet, in the event that they did need replaced. (Got my prescription glasses at walmart, and they can get the prescription from whereever it came from originally.

There was plenty of rain to contend with, but as long as you have something to wipe off your lenses that won't scratch them, you should be good to go. My glasses doubled as sunglasses too.

I just think it was much easier to take care of glasses than to risk an eye infection. No matter how much I cleaned my hands, they were always dirty.

Tried the contact lense route for about a year and felt it was too much of a hassle. Plus, getting perfectly clean and lint free hands not always the easiet thing to do in the woods. If you carry an emergency eyeglass repair kit, make sure the screws will fit your glasses ahead of time. Yes, speaking from experience. Now when I purchase a new pair of glasses, I always ask for a couple of extra screws. For the past 2 purchases the dr. just gave me screws.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++