WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Krippledprophet View Post
    going over the mountain bypasses the permit system for soho as you get the permit after you climb. my sobo is beginning at roaring brook you get a permit after hiking by stopping in at ksc ranger station.

these were instructions given by baxter. it bypasses permit issues officially as it is a traditional use of two campsites. logistically more difficult as you carry a full pack up helon or cathedral then camp at ksc then hike out of baxter.

my itinerary is

june 30 shuttle to roaring brook and camp
    july 1 day break hike up helon taylor cross knifes edge to baxter peak (have option to stay a second night for weather)
    july 1 descend hunt trail.
    july 1 camp ksc
    july 2 camp ksc
    july 3 hike out of baxter

the flaw with this plan is weather as dudley is closed so there is no trail that is really suitable for ascent in bad weather without experience as cathedral and knifes edge are both rather foolish with bad wind or rain. I have done both in horrid weather and don't recommend them. there is no alternate path to the summit once you ascend helon and if you can't do the chimney or are squeamish about heights the only option is to turn around and lugging a full pack on that stretch is not ideal for most.
    Why not spend the first night at a lean-to or bunk house at Roaring Brook so you can get an early start over Katahdin?

FWIW, I had planned going your route but the Ranger talked me out of the Knife Edge, and I hiked up the Saddle Trail instead. Even so, it was good to get an early start, and a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    If it "bypasses the permit system" why do "you get the permit after you climb"?
    it prevents actually getting hit with a cap as the permit is gotten at the end of your climb basically as you are already leaving.

the reason you get the permit after is to assist baxter in tracking numbers of thru and section hikers. they asked me to check in with a ranger at ksc upon finishing my climb
    as they are closely monitoring long distance hikers to further refine the system.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Why not spend the first night at a lean-to or bunk house at Roaring Brook so you can get an early start over Katahdin?

FWIW, I had planned going your route but the Ranger talked me out of the Knife Edge, and I hiked up the Saddle Trail instead. Even so, it was good to get an early start, and a long day.

the route i have laid out is daunting in bad weather. its a matter of seeing whether or not pamola will turn a blind eye to my trespass.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

I have been on this route with a backpack on a day where the winds came up more than expected. Luckily I was going down so I got over the knife edge before it got gnarly. Even then the Helon Taylor trail has about the longest above treeline exposure of any of the katahdin trails without a lot of cover. We got pushed around quite a bit. Both Helon Taylor and Hamlin Ridge run down to 3100 exposed but the lower section of Hamlin ridge has a tad bit of cover up to about 3400, from there is more of sharp ridge compared to Helon Taylor. If in doubt the Saddle is the safest choice but still exposed from Saddle spring up t the summit.

It's likely my farewell to the mountain and Maine. I've climbed it generally 3-4 times a year for over 20 years and leading winter expeditions at least annually for the last decade It's the mountain that got me interested in winter mountaineering.

I grew up in the area. I am almost done with the grid in nh

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I applaud you on your fitness, ambition, preparation, etc. Still, that's a 30.2 mile hike with 8,000 of vertical change.

Most finishing thru hikers, I imagine, would not want to rush through that last day.

Baxter is a special kind of place. It's worth making nice with the officials. They really do mean well and for the most part they've bent over backwards to accommodate AT hikers.
    How do you figure? Abol Bridge to summit 15.1 with about 4,700' vertical, back down to KSC is 5.2 all downhill = 20.3 mi, with 4,700 vertical. May not be your cup of tea, but infinitely
    doable.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Krippledprophet View Post
    the route i have laid out is daunting in bad weather. its a matter of seeing whether or not pamola will turn a blind eye to my trespass.
    I read your itinerary too quickly-- I now see you at planning to spend the night at Roaring Brook. That only makes sense, of course.

But why 2 nights at KSG? Actually I think I may know.

As one who carried 10+ days of food over Katahdin -- on a far easier route-- I can attest to the fact that most would be beat to hell by the walk with a full pack. Coming down from Katahdin was the first and last time I really believed going down hill is harder.

That said I was young and pliable and survived.

You sound more seasoned, which is a good thing. At the same time, I am thinking that carrying a relatively heavy pack over Katahdin on the first day of a long hike is challenging fate. Especially if you are older. It's not like you have the option to call your day short if bio-mechanics get the best of you.

Which my long winded way of saying you might want to find a way to have your pack (or at least most of its contents) shuttled to KSCG.

Sort of a risk vs. reward kind of decision, IMHO.

Journal Entries
    Images

Forget that last post.

I read you last post and see you have it dialed in.

Have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by cbxx View Post
    How do you figure? Abol Bridge to summit 15.1 with about 4,700' vertical, back down to KSC is 5.2 all downhill = 20.3 mi, with 4,700 vertical. May not be your cup of tea, but infinitely
    doable.
    I was assuming round trip from Abol Bridge to summit and back, roughly 4000' vertical each way. That's 30.2 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I read your itinerary too quickly-- I now see you at planning to spend the night at Roaring Brook. That only makes sense, of course.

But why 2 nights at KSG? Actually I think I may know.

As one who carried 10+ days of food over Katahdin -- on a far easier route-- I can attest to the fact that most would be beat to hell by the walk with a full pack. Coming down from Katahdin was the first and last time I really believed going down hill is harder.

That said I was young and pliable and survived.

You sound more seasoned, which is a good thing. At the same time, I am thinking that carrying a relatively heavy pack over Katahdin on the first day of a long hike is challenging fate. Especially if you are older. It's not like you have the option to call your day short if bio-mechanics get the best of you.

Which my long winded way of saying you might want to find a way to have your pack (or at least most of its contents) shuttled to KSCG.

Sort of a risk vs. reward kind of decision, IMHO.

the beauty of 2 days at ksc is a little rest and maybe a little bit of baxter fun walk to blueberry ledges. some swimming cook up some good chow before striking out.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxx View Post
    doable.
    Downhill after a 15 mile day is a killer. Not reccomended.

Is there any answer to Sarcasm the Elfs message of 2-1-17? if I want to day hike the Hunt Trail to summit the mountain, not as a thru hiker, am I still required to obtain a permit to summit if I receive a day parking pass for Katahdin Stream?

Quote Originally Posted by bill1980 View Post
    Is there any answer to Sarcasm the Elfs message of 2-1-17? if I want to day hike the Hunt Trail to summit the mountain, not as a thru hiker, am I still required to obtain a permit to summit if I receive a day parking pass for Katahdin Stream?
    No. You are covered by the DUPR

Thanks, egilbe

this is good and about time! Protect the park! and who really wants to have 4000 people in the same year hiking the length of the AT? we've gotta put a lid on things at some point!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
++ New Posts ++