Quote Originally Posted by Krippledprophet View Post
going over the mountain bypasses the permit system for soho as you get the permit after you climb. my sobo is beginning at roaring brook you get a permit after hiking by stopping in at ksc ranger station.

these were instructions given by baxter. it bypasses permit issues officially as it is a traditional use of two campsites. logistically more difficult as you carry a full pack up helon or cathedral then camp at ksc then hike out of baxter.

my itinerary is

june 30 shuttle to roaring brook and camp
july 1 day break hike up helon taylor cross knifes edge to baxter peak (have option to stay a second night for weather)
july 1 descend hunt trail.
july 1 camp ksc
july 2 camp ksc
july 3 hike out of baxter

the flaw with this plan is weather as dudley is closed so there is no trail that is really suitable for ascent in bad weather without experience as cathedral and knifes edge are both rather foolish with bad wind or rain. I have done both in horrid weather and don't recommend them. there is no alternate path to the summit once you ascend helon and if you can't do the chimney or are squeamish about heights the only option is to turn around and lugging a full pack on that stretch is not ideal for most.
Why not spend the first night at a lean-to or bunk house at Roaring Brook so you can get an early start over Katahdin?

FWIW, I had planned going your route but the Ranger talked me out of the Knife Edge, and I hiked up the Saddle Trail instead. Even so, it was good to get an early start, and a long day.