WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HDPE and Ohm 2.0

Ordered an Ohm 2.0. I'm thinking about adhering a thin HDPE frame sheet to the foam pad to add a little rigidity to the back panel and as added defense for my back from objects in the pack. I even thought about sewing a sleeve for the sheet that has two small sleeves on each side that would tie the hooped carbon rod to the framesheet to stiffen it al up a little.

Any thoughts on these ideas?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post

Any thoughts on these ideas?

yeah
    I think you ordered the wrong pack for you if your modifying it before you even got it.

Why?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-03-2017 at 19:42.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    yeah
    I think you ordered the wrong pack for you.
    Well, there is that...

Journal Entries

I have an original ohm. Much lighter. smaller belt winglets.

I can see the heavier belt working better with 20-25 lb loads.

But its best packed loose and fluffy, so it conforms, with a small piece of ccf against back to hide the hard objects.

And it can soak your back and the pack with sweat too.

But then again, maybe what I want doesnt exist and I am trying to incorporate something I have liked in other packs into what is the closest I can find to what I want to help close a deficiency gap? Anyone else have any value-added input? Maybe some thoughts about whether or not adding a frame sheet will help add rigidity?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I have an original ohm. Much lighter. smaller belt winglets.

I can see the heavier belt working better with 20-25 lb loads.

But its best packed loose and fluffy, so it conforms, with a small piece of ccf against back to hide the hard objects.

And it can soak your back and the pack with sweat too.
    That is a much more valuable response. Thanks, Muddy.

Journal Entries

I dont think you will find much satisfaction trying to make it something its not. Its not that much lighter than other alternatives today. Mine is 21 oz, 22 before trimming straps.

I used a folded small ccf pad against my back (goes under lower legs). But I like this outside to sit on during stops in day instead of hard rocks, log, etc. This was my main reason getting away from it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-03-2017 at 20:06.

Didnt think about CCF. I have that at home already. I will try that with and without the HDPE.

I don't think you need it. What you're trying to do with the HDPE can be achieved with packing it as you want it to ride and fit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I don't think you need it. What you're trying to do with the HDPE can be achieved with packing it as you want it to ride and fit.
    Yeah, this. I've been carrying an Ohm 2.0 pretty much exclusively for 4 years now, probably something like 3000 miles of hiking, the pack is plenty "rigid" when packed and the side strings drawn reasonably tight. Every once in a while I get careless and something hard in my pack winds up in the wrong position and pokes into my back. I stop and re-pack, 2 minutes later, problem gone. I just cannot see any reason to add these few extra ounces.

I replaced the thin framesheet in mine with a section of ridgerest. More cushion, stiffer, and useable as sitpad. I have not once ever felt anything poking my back through the backpanel.

I definitely like the idea of replacing the soft foam in the backpack with more rigid ccf. I think thats the route I will take

I definitely like the idea of replacing the soft foam in the backpack with more rigid ccf. I think thats the route I will take
    That's what I did with the zlite sol. I did notice that it was much warmer against my back though then the foam the bag came with. So if I do use that I tend to put the silver side in idk if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    That's what I did with the zlite sol. I did notice that it was much warmer against my back though then the foam the bag came with. So if I do use that I tend to put the silver side in idk if it makes a difference.

I was intending to cut a section from the cheap blue stuff I have from WallyWorld. If I use a short SoLite during the summer I supposed I could roll it and let it expand in the bag to create a barrel.

Doesn't ohm have a frame? Why not just fold your inflatable inside against your back...seems very comfy but only carefully packing keeps hard stuff off your back. With that said I still carry a cut down z lite for my dogs bed and my sit pad that worked great on my gorilla as back panel much better than the stock panel. I would try stock before you make any mods....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Doesn't ohm have a frame? Why not just fold your inflatable inside against your back...seems very comfy but only carefully packing keeps hard stuff off your back. With that said I still carry a cut down z lite for my dogs bed and my sit pad that worked great on my gorilla as back panel much better than the stock panel. I would try stock before you make any mods....

It has a minimal hoop frame, and a thin foam insert for the back. I personally think this thin foam is plenty, again, after using my OHM for four years and over 3000 miles. I would think the ULA guru (Chris?) would make it thicker if he thought that would improve it. I never quite understand why people buy UL items, and then strive to make then not-so-UL "improvements", but in this case, it probably is only an extra ounce for a thicker insert, maybe even less. Still, I foresee zero actual improvement with a thicker insert.

I did try the stock and I think I want a little more rigidity. I had to send the pack back because the s-shaped shoulder straps weren't comfortable and they didnt sit flat on my chest (yes, I did call and speak to Chris before I ordered my Ohm with them). If I need to, I can use the Ohm as a pure summer pack and use my more traditionally framed Atmos for colder seasons.

Images

I did try the stock and I think I want a little more rigidity. I had to send the pack back because the s-shaped shoulder straps weren't comfortable and they didnt sit flat on my chest (yes, I did call and speak to Chris before I ordered my Ohm with them). If I need to, I can use the Ohm as a pure summer pack and use my more traditionally framed Atmos for colder seasons.
    Chris sure is a helpful guy. When I ordered my OHM, I was torn between that and the Circuit, so I talked to Chris and he suggested I simply buy both, and return one in the same box that held both, and he pre-paid a shipping label. so I tried both at home loaded identically, opted for the lighter OHM. Great service at ULA! My wife subsequently went with the OHM as well.

Just for fun, plenty of closed cell foam laying around, I'll try the thin-stuff replacement myself, though I cannot see how it would improve anything, but I'm wrong about 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Chris sure is a helpful guy. When I ordered my OHM, I was torn between that and the Circuit, so I talked to Chris and he suggested I simply buy both, and return one in the same box that held both, and he pre-paid a shipping label. so I tried both at home loaded identically, opted for the lighter OHM. Great service at ULA! My wife subsequently went with the OHM as well.

Just for fun, plenty of closed cell foam laying around, I'll try the thin-stuff replacement myself, though I cannot see how it would improve anything, but I'm wrong about 50% of the time.
    Chris was both helpful and pleasant, which was greatly appreciated (and far superior to some other experiences I have had with some of his competitors). I went ahead and ordered an HDPE framesheet. It was only $10 shipped and if I don't like it in my Ohm then I can try it in my Flash or just toss it in the recycle bin.

I was in the same boat for a while......

Your best bet is to replace the piece of foam that comes with it with a more rigid piece of foam if you feels its necessary.

After getting a couple 100 trail miles in with the OHM I feel like what you are wanting to accomplish isnt totally necessary. The pack carries well without needing a stiffer frame. In fact, I like that pack kind of bends and twists with your body instead of being super stiff. It makes the pack feel like more of an extension of your body instead of 25 lbs on your back.

I love the OHM 2.0!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++