WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dried Whole Milk

I have been using Nestles Nido dry whole mil for years which I can pick up at Walmart in the Hispanic section in Arkansas or Texas. Will I be able to find this on the trail or should I have it occasionally mailed to me. Thanks for your advice!

Here ya go...just plug in the zip codes for your town stops and take a peek...

https://www.nestlenido.com/en/where-to-buy

Images

Probably only at larger chain supermarkets in towns a few miles from the AT.Only Walmart sells it here in Greeneville TN. A few weeks ago they quit selling the small can and only had what looked like a gallon can for about $15.A bit much for a resupply stop.I'd go ahead and prepare mail drops.Also many towns near the trail have few Hispanic residents which may mean few places to buy it.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Walmart is your friend......

Example, Walmart Franklin, NC has it...

Walmart Sevierville, TN,

etc...just find the town you want to go to zip code and plug it in...

Places that have it are many, Food Lion, Publix, Kroger, WALMART.....

WALMART.....

just sayin....

To me, it's kinda a luxury item...I don't drink it for the caloric fat, just in my coffee...

Journal Entries

It will be hard to find, my friend had to get it mailed to her. If it's for coffee I would start to get use to alternatives.

Might also be able to find powdered Meyenberg Goat Milk in 4 oz packets and 12 oz cans even at some WallyWorlds. Could also find powdered soy milk in plain and vanilla at bulk locations like HealthFood Stores particular as you get into the New England states of Mass, VT, and NH.

How I wish I wasn't allergic to dairy and how I miss my Mt Hagen organic coffee with honey and dried goat milk powder and brewing it all up sitting in my tent vestibule.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but, assuming you can get your Nido on the trail, what's everyone's favorite Nido trail recipe?

That sounds good Tipi. did you read the post(thread?) by Vegan Hiker listing his turmeric, cinnamon, etc tea he drinks hot and cold? I never got around to trying his recipe that he brings on trail already mostly dry mixed.

Images

Not to mention tberes powdered coconut milk.
    Makes great hot chocolate

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but, assuming you can get your Nido on the trail, what's everyone's favorite Nido trail recipe?
    It's milk. Why do you need a recipe?
    Nido sounds like a perfect candidate for a bounce box.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Nido mixed with water and a box of instant pudding mix, then topped with dehydrated angel food cake crumbs and lots of dehydrated coconut makes an outstanding freezer bag treat. Easy to mix, and satisfying in both hot and cold weather. My favorite puddings for this are vanilla and pistachio. Dehydrate the angel food cake in inch thick slices until crisp, then lightly crumble. The cake and coconut absorb moisture from the pudding and regain a good texture.
    Trail name Catnapper

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    How I wish I wasn't allergic to dairy and how I miss my Mt Hagen organic coffee with honey and dried goat milk powder and brewing it all up sitting in my tent vestibule.
    Good stuff w lil honey or raw sugar and nido....add instant breakfast for trail mocha....yummy and good cold also...you reminded me time to order another 100 sticks off amazon....$.25 each way cheaper than Via...better too

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That sounds good Tipi. did you read the post(thread?) by Vegan Hiker listing his turmeric, cinnamon, etc tea he drinks hot and cold? I never got around to trying his recipe that he brings on trail already mostly dry mixed.
    I'll have to check this out as my morning ritual still continues despite the No Dairy and No Coffee rule.

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    Not to mention tberes powdered coconut milk.
    Makes great hot chocolate

Powdered coconut milk?? Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Good stuff w lil honey or raw sugar and nido....add instant breakfast for trail mocha....yummy and good cold also...you reminded me time to order another 100 sticks off amazon....$.25 each way cheaper than Via...better too

Here's a fresh pot of Mt Hagen coffee just after adding it to the hot water in camp---

FWIW: Nido is not the only decent tasting powdered milk option available these days.

1) Milkman has come back onto the market and can be purchased on-line and occasionally, again, found in some stores. If I recall, I actually prefer Milkman to Nido by a little bit, but then, I've never actually tasted them side by side, so my memory may be off a little. If one hasn't tried it, Milkman is well worth looking into, especially since it can be purchased in smaller sized packets and on-line.

2) It sounds hard to believe, but regular powdered skim milk with powdered coffee creamer also makes surprisingly tasty milk. . . it actually tastes pretty much like Nido or Milkman. I can't remember any standard ratios of powdered milk to coffee creamer I've used in the past. I've always just used crude ballpark estimates of what I though would taste okay, and it's worked out pretty well.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Tipi, if I stare intently at your pic of Mt Hagen coffee will a hidden AT white blaze or treasure map to your stashed landscaping tools in Citico Wilderness appear?

Have a recent hard to find source of RAW(non pasteurized or homogenized!) organic free range goat milk that is teeted within the last 24 hrs stored cold in glass containers. Not musky, creaminess is similar to REAL half & half, easier to digest with the enzymes that break down the milks sugars, and experience NO phlegm or allergic reactions as can happen from pasteurized(even organic) and homogenized cow's or goat's milk.
    Had several BIG cow's milk drinkers in the family do a blind folded side by side taste test. NONE could tell any difference in taste, smell, viscosity, etc than cow's milk. consequences to drinking the RAW goat's milk were all very positive.

Vegan Hiker, I think I'm recalling, or I possibly recommended, puts coconut milk powder into his turmeric drink. I'd rec one does using Edwards & Sons NATIVE FOREST brand VEGAN and Gluten/matodextrin free. I buy a 5.25 oz pouch for $2.75 and occasionally a bit less in larger quantities. It's the best tasting and processing into coconut milk powder I'm currently away of that is becoming more widely available.

https://shop.ebates.com/seasonal/nat...-1wAodHDUNBg25 oz

https://thrivemarket.com/native-fore...FQm5wAodF3QFXw

http://www.edwardandsons.com/native_shop_coconut.itml

Three ingredients that I can understand without needing a chemistry textbook.

Vegan Coconut Milk Powder
    Ingredients: Coconut Milk, Tapioca Syrup, Sugar Esters (plant-based).
    Net Weight: 5.25 oz.

Images

Tastes like mounds candy bar

Tipi, if I stare intently at your pic of Mt Hagen coffee will a hidden AT white blaze or treasure map to your stashed landscaping tools in Citico Wilderness appear?
    Matter of fact there is a picture of an angry anaconda and also a Lion with a full mane. Look carefully.

Have a recent hard to find source of RAW(non pasteurized or homogenized!) organic free range goat milk that is teeted within the last 24 hrs stored cold in glass containers. Not musky, creaminess is similar to REAL half & half, easier to digest with the enzymes that break down the milks sugars, and experience NO phlegm or allergic reactions as can happen from pasteurized(even organic) and homogenized cow's or goat's milk.
    Had several BIG cow's milk drinkers in the family do a blind folded side by side taste test. NONE could tell any difference in taste, smell, viscosity, etc than cow's milk. consequences to drinking the RAW goat's milk were all very positive.

Vegan Hiker, I think I'm recalling, or I possibly recommended, puts coconut milk powder into his turmeric drink. I'd rec one does using Edwards & Sons NATIVE FOREST brand VEGAN and Gluten/matodextrin free. I buy a 5.25 oz pouch for $2.75 and occasionally a bit less in larger quantities. It's the best tasting and processing into coconut milk powder I'm currently away of that is becoming more widely available.

https://shop.ebates.com/seasonal/nat...-1wAodHDUNBg25 oz

https://thrivemarket.com/native-fore...FQm5wAodF3QFXw

http://www.edwardandsons.com/native_shop_coconut.itml

Three ingredients that I can understand without needing a chemistry textbook.

Vegan Coconut Milk Powder
    Ingredients: Coconut Milk, Tapioca Syrup, Sugar Esters (plant-based).
    Net Weight: 5.25 oz.
    As I get older I find my self allergic to dairy i.e. mainly milk/whey.....my daily protein shakes tear me up......shi! through a screen door without touching it!!!! One of these days I'll give up whey.....I'll try the coconut powder...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++