WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tax refund coming - Time to buy!

We did our taxes yesterday and we are getting a decent refund of some of our stolen money. Now to be good consumers and buy some stuff. Oh, and I weighed my sleeping bag and tent both of which I have been carrying for a while. I guess I forgot how heavy they really are! My tent was an upgrade a few years ago and definitely lighter than what I had been carrying but not by much. I think it's time for a new bag and tent. Maybe some UL options.

So what are y'all going to buy if you get a tax refund?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

golf equipment

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    golf equipment

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post

Mine's going straight into a 529 plan.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

A door for my house an electric outlet for my dryer a new ti me fridge and driving school for my daughter.
    Oh also a food dehydrator and about 500 bucks on extra groceries to stock up.

...just bought a JRB Sniveller with some of my refund !

A new .243 Winchester rifle be Ruger. Gladly put my already EARNED money into a solid American made product made by American workers. Plus the factory is not far from where I live.

Might get some new hiking clothes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

As a single, middle income male, getting $1.00 back.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    A door for my house an electric outlet for my dryer a new ti me fridge and driving school for my daughter.
    Oh also a food dehydrator and about 500 bucks on extra groceries to stock up.

You must be getting a larger refund than I am!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Added to savings and then probably poured into the Roth IRA, maybe after the hike.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Zpacks Altaplex in camo, Hammock Gear Cuben tarp with doors in camo. I flip back and forth. Also a new pack HMG Southwest 3400 in black. Thank you Uncle Sam. As you can see I'm not married.

Thank you Uncle Sam. As you can see I'm not married.
    A large refund represents your interest-free loan to the government. Better to adjust withholding and keep it in your accounts rather than Uncle Sam's.

However with practically zero interest paid on most savings accounts these days, there's a good argument for letting Uncle keep it because it's harder to access and therefore it's safely out of temptation's range.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-04-2017 at 08:23.

I keep my tax refund below $200 so its pretty much going to buy dinner. Im with cmoulder. No interest free loans to the gubmint.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    We did our taxes yesterday and we are getting a decent refund of some of our stolen money. Now to be good consumers and buy some stuff. Oh, and I weighed my sleeping bag and tent both of which I have been carrying for a while. I guess I forgot how heavy they really are! My tent was an upgrade a few years ago and definitely lighter than what I had been carrying but not by much. I think it's time for a new bag and tent. Maybe some UL options.

Pay other county, local and school taxes

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    A large refund represents your interest-free loan to the government. Better to adjust withholding and keep it in your accounts rather than Uncle Sam's.

However with practically zero interest paid on most savings accounts these days, there's a good argument for letting Uncle keep it because it's harder to access and therefore it's safely out of temptation's range.
    sounds like a upper middle class perspective on taxes and returns. Seems to me hikers are mostly in the mid to upper income bracket like runners . But I'm often wrong. :0)

Thom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Pay other county, local and school taxes
    Hah! Same here, plus both our vehicles' licenses fees are due right about the same time in February, about 4 grand all told of taxes due in Feb/March, PLUS on April 15th I have to pay back the interest free loan we get from the Gubmint because we purposely under-withhold every year... but all that being said, this is indeed the time of year we also buy the most gear.

Regardless of income level it is still your money that you are lending to your Uncle at no interest.

This is not so much a perspective as it is a fact, although one that many people don't think about. What always gets me thinking about this is when people say "Thank you, Uncle Sam" and I think "Thank you for what?? It's your money that you've overpaid!"

but all that being said, this is indeed the time of year we also buy the most gear.

And what a miracle of timing with the REI dividend notices!

As much as I'd like to spend it on cool new hiking supplies, I should probably use it to pay off the credit card I had to use last month to fix the truck. Any left over should go toward my plane ticket for this Fall, flying out to CA to hike in the Sierras.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++