WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the dude abides View Post
    when are you heading down?
    I'm leaving after closing on my house, which will be either Feb 27 or 28. I'm not broke, just frugal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Mega Bus is cheaper. About $30 routes involve departing Indianapolis to Chattanooga or Nashville or Atlanta. It's a faster, I'd say more efficiently operated(Chinese I think), commuter oriented bus line compared to G hound but with a much more limited station/locations stops/ routes. I'd check by calling and carefully reviewing routes because, for example, the Ghound from Indy to Atlanta makes a stop in Dalton GA and Marietta GA so you don't have to go all the way to Atlanta. FWIW, the Pinhoti Trail runs through Dalton not far from where the G Hound stops(I've taken it from/to Dalton and made the walk personally) which connects to the AT via the BMT. Also, check because various routes, both Mega Bus and G Hound, make food stops that may not be listed on line where you can get off and not get back on which is similar to how I've saved some do re mi on air fares.

Before you https://us.megabus.com/JourneyResult...=&withReturn=0
    Dalton is 29.5 hours. Yikes! Thanks for the info though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlayitdown View Post
    Dalton is 29.5 hours. Yikes! Thanks for the info though.
    You didn't do what I told you. Not on Mega Bus. Two trips from Indianapolis to Atlanta that take 10.5 hrs for $30 each. From Indianapolis to Chattanooga 8 hrs 45 mins for a damn cheap $20 one way. I dare you to show me public transportation from Indy to TN for less than that! If you want financially cheaper you're talking free. I don't do free. You didn't ask for free! I told you Mega Bus is more a LD efficient minded commuter bus line that if you're going to the states they run doesn't get any cheaper that I know. Heck, at those travel times and fares it gives you flexibility in spending money and time elsewhere on travel.

Make sure you're researching the correct Dalton in the correct state because I think G Hound runs to several towns called Dalton i.e.: Dalton GA, Dalton Mass...

You're closing(selling?) your house? Frugal is one thing. What you're suggesting is something else.

Images

Indianapolis to Atlanta on SW Airlines $128....
    Greyhound's only $30 but tempting to get 'er done in one day....

Miguelon

Let me throw out another idea...cycle to Amicalola. It'll save your feet.

(Am I only one who thinks this thread is humorous?)

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you are really considering this. You could consider riding a bit further down to Dalton GA, and jump on the Pinhoti Trail going east then BMT back to the first AT crossing or Springer.

But about the number of bus transfer you would do, you could simply fly into Atlanta > MARTA to North Springs > take a shuttle to Springer/Amicalola.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 02-06-2017 at 11:16.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlayitdown View Post
    So, I'm thinking about selling my truck to my Dad and taking a Greyhound as close to the trail as possible. I'm from IN and the bus to Gainesville is 22 hrs because of backtracking and layovers. The ride to Atlanta would be too far away. Marietta, GA is around 16 hrs, same price as ATL. The shortest ride time and cheapest ticket would be Chattanooga. I would have to walk about 87 miles which is probably nothing considering I'm attempting 2,200, LOL. Just wondering if that area was cool to walk through. Looks like it will be around camping areas vs if I walked from ATL. I'd rather walk than pay $80 for a shuttle. Considering Greyhound isn't even charging that much.

I have read this post about 10 times and I am not getting why you would be willing to walk for 3 days to save a few bucks. The budget of your thru hike will be 2-3 dollars a mile, so why sweat over $1 a mile (85 miles for 80 more dollars) to make it to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Let me throw out another idea...cycle to Amicalola. It'll save your feet.

(Am I only one who thinks this thread is humorous?)
    Well, it is since you're now commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by dwcoyote View Post
    I have read this post about 10 times and I am not getting why you would be willing to walk for 3 days to save a few bucks. The budget of your thru hike will be 2-3 dollars a mile, so why sweat over $1 a mile (85 miles for 80 more dollars) to make it to the trail.
    He must be saving money to buy Organic Ramen for the trail. ala Vencha's comment.

Images

Riding on a bus for 16 hours is tolerable, but 22 hours isn't? If 6 extra hours of bus travel is intolerable, why isn't the first 16 hours intolerable? Seriously, fly or bus or train and then shuttle to as close to the trail as you can get. If $80 on transport is going to make or break your hiking budget, it's already likely broken.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Riding on a bus for 16 hours is tolerable, but 22 hours isn't? If 6 extra hours of bus travel is intolerable, why isn't the first 16 hours intolerable? Seriously, fly or bus or train and then shuttle to as close to the trail as you can get. If $80 on transport is going to make or break your hiking budget, it's already likely broken.
    Saying the same.

$30 10.5 hr NO TRANSFERS NECESSARY from Indy to Atlanta on Mega Bus. $2.50 Marta right down the street(I walk there) from where Mega Bus ends in Atlanta to N. Springs station on the Red Line. $85 for the Thru-hiker package from the Hiker Hostel that includes pick up at N Springs Station to Dahlonega, GA, overnight stay in the bunk room, advice from two of the most plugged in AT Hostel Owners that know the AT, AT hikers, etc, B-fast, and next morning ride to Amicalola Falls SP Approach Trail or Springer Mt Parking Lot.

All in, locked and loaded from Indy delivered to the Amicalola Falls SP door step for less than $120.

Unless you fortunately bump into someone traveling from Indy to AFSP(good luck with that) that's alot of hassles diverted pre hike. ENJOY the first day on the trail. Most need the rest and advice for the NOBO Approach Tr start.

I truly get that hitchin from Indy to AF SP can be part of the adventure but if you're complaining about travel times hitchin is a VERY IFFY TIME CONSUMING approach to save money given that situation in Feb.

Want to be frugal on a longer AT hike don't go into towns as much. Get in early morn, get your stuff dun, and get out. Don't stay overnight! Want to be frugal don't stay at hotels/motels especially solo. Share a room if you must. Stay at cheaper Hostels in a bunk room and DO NOT BE A MOOCH! Use AT lean-to's as your hotel/motel stay!

Being frugal overall by knowing where it makes more sense to spend some to have a better experience can also be a frugal approach. It's similar to some folks UL philosophy- every item in the kit doesn't have to be the most light option.

The best item I spent money on was the train ticket and ride to Springer Mountain..

Second AYCE Break Fasts

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Well, it is since you're now commenting.
    If I can make someone laugh, my day is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    If I can make someone laugh, my day is complete.
    You're day is complete.

At some point I'd recommend taking the bus to Atlanta, then the furthest Marta north (cited in Dogwood's post) then hitch from there. Hitching from an OTP Atlanta spot should be easier than hitching from Chattanooga. I say this as a Chattanooga native. Either way, it's good to practice those hitching skills. I'd say it's pretty doable to get there in a day or two but you may find yourself "camping" overnight on the side of the highway or in someone's yard.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Hang on.
    After today, some Falcons fan from that area will answer you about how cool the road wak is.
    Definitely don't hitch a ride with a Falcon. They'll get you 3/4 of the way there before an epic fail occurs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++