WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Nat. Geographic: Ultralight: How to lighten your load

A National Geographic short film on how to lighten your load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYROzV5TiJo

Little close to the creek for a camping spot. Guessing they were more interested in the photo op than following good practices.

Not bringing something to begin and then multi use are great ways to shed ounces.

There are some designated campsites that are as close (and closer!) to streams/ponds in the Adirondacks.

High Falls area on the Oswegatchie River... High_Falls_CL50.jpg

Regards to the Nat Geo video, I would call that lightweight kit and not really UL. Very subjective, of course, depending upon where/when you happen to be backpacking, but 5 days food and 1 liter of water and I'm a tick over 20 lbs.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-06-2017 at 20:55.

That's the first time I'm hearing assumed UL camping is UL backpacking.

Since when is a 65L 4 lb 6 oz backpack part of a essential UL camping/UL backpacking kit particularly since she said she does 2-3 day mountaineering trips? Hasn't she heard of Hyper Light Mountain Gear, Zimmerbilt, McHale, CILO, etc backpacks that all have 65 L versions suitable for mountaineering at a lower wt, some at a considerably less wt ?

Yeah, seems like some good info mixed with expectations of inserting very good photography. Disagree with the idea that UL camping, UL backpacking which is not the same IMO, necessitates sleeping near water. That's a dangerous and over believed bit of disseminated info. Drew Smith wrote an AWSOME article in Trail Groove Issue 29 about not having to camp near or at water using some UL camping/UL backpacking waterwise logistical knowledge. MORE campers/backpackers should understand and widen their skill sets as Drew Smith details in that article! http://www.trailgroove.com/issue29.html?autoflip=107

This is in the wrong section. As previously been said, 20 - 30 pounds is on the heavy side considering what she is discussing. It is not UL in no sense.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    This is in the wrong section. As previously been said, 20 - 30 pounds is on the heavy side considering what she is discussing. It is not UL in no sense.

Wolf
    Agree, and not to nitpick nor to reignite the whole "Labels!" discussion again, but it demonstrates the utility of having a guideline for what is UL and what is not. The average newb will look at that and think it's awesomely light and not realize that nowadays one can easily (if not always cheaply!) go 30 to 50% lighter with UL gear, skillset and mindset... a big part of which is trading off some minimal camp comforts for the all-day 'incredible lightness of being' while hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There are some designated campsites that are as close (and closer!) to streams/ponds in the Adirondacks.
    Same in GSMNP. Pisgah Nat'l Forest, where you can essentially camp where you like, has a lot of established and well-used sites right on the water. The Davidson river is littered with waterfront campsites.

Agree, and not to nitpick nor to reignite the whole "Labels!" discussion again, but it demonstrates the utility of having a guideline for what is UL and what is not. The average newb will look at that and think it's awesomely light and not realize that nowadays one can easily (if not always cheaply!) go 30 to 50% lighter with UL gear, skillset and mindset... a big part of which is trading off some minimal camp comforts for the all-day 'incredible lightness of being' while hiking.
    It not just "nowadays". Even 25 years ago it was fairly easy to go with less than half her weight on a long distance trail. I don't even know why this is even mention as a useful source. Most hikers here on WB are fairly experience. The only reason I can think of is many youtube users will make some extra $$ for everyone who visit the site. That is the only reason why I can even see it posted. If someone was really trying to help hikers go UL then ... I don't know ... maybe make a video to help someone experience going UL. Just my $ 0.02.

Wolf

Images

Yikes, that really is a silly video using the label "ultralight"! Before I watched it I thought you guys were being a bit snobby, but no, the video is just plain silly. Nalgene bottles, tent footprints and 65L packs? But her pack didn't look like it was 65L, plus she was kinda hot (older ladies that are totally ripped look hot to us 60 year olds..), and it looked like it was filmed in CO....

Offering pics and advice to sleep near water is dangerous because it leads to illegal or, at the least, ill advised potentially problematic campsites, TOO CLOSE to water for human convenience sake, a common observance. This is one reason why water sources become contaminated by human related activity. It is not an essential for UL or otherwise to sleep at or near water with a knowledgable water wise outdoor's skill set.

Yeah she looks like she's in great shape. However, that shouldn't lead us to ignore the entirety of the message which does nail down some key UL components.

As they say, everything is relative. Maybe it was intend for back-campers like Tipi.

Seems Tipi is making choices for his trips based on his desires. He's headstrong defensively preachy about his approach and negative about UL but at least he's getting out more than some including myself in the last 4 months which I thought was the goal. I don't see anyone else here on WB offering up as many 4 season trip reports as him. As ULers sometimes we forget to prioritize getting out, experiencing bag nights, experiencing nature over UL gear talk or UL philosophy. As much as we may rib Tipi, including myself, I respect him highly for this.

Hauling 100 lbs of avocados is the best! Beats the tuba, 14 lb iron skillet, three bottles of Jim Beam, watermelon, 140 lb packs with trail construction tools, and Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven hauling seen.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Seems Tipi is making choices for his trips based on his desires. He's headstrong defensively preachy about his approach and negative about UL but at least he's getting out more than some including myself in the last 4 months which I thought was the goal. I don't see anyone else here on WB offering up as many 4 season trip reports as him.
    I didn't realize, and still don't believe that the WB forum was a proper place for trip reports, hence why I never post mine here. And for someone who gets out over half of the time, he (tipi) sure seems incredibly discontented, which seems weird given his free lifestyle. LYOL !

And by the way, both you and I (along with Tipi) are decidedly also preachy in our posts, like this one, for example!

And by the way, both you and I (along with Tipi) are decidedly also preachy in our posts, like this one, for example!

I knew that was coming. All mentioned deserve it. That'll be it for my preachy sound bites for today.

When I tersely communicate on this site, yes I can communicate succinctly, usually it leads to misinterpretations of context. Same can happen when I attempt to cover the bases in one or two posts. Given many profound and complex topics that arise here, UL for example, yes posts can be long. I'm working on my next short story condensed to 280 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I don't see anyone else here on WB offering up as many 4 season trip reports as him. As ULers sometimes we forget to prioritize getting out, experiencing bag nights, experiencing nature over UL gear talk or UL philosophy.
    I don't post trip reports either, but I've spent at least 2 weekends every month on trail since last January. I spent the entirety of my winter break doing a section, though I suspect I would have gotten harsh words from Tipi for some of the choices we made.

Probably why I don't post trip reports and just send the link to my blog to people doing a section similar to one I've done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word "ultralight" has gone main stream... And marketing is making a killing advertising products as "ultralight"... Ultralight is a philosophy. Any hiker that goes into an outfitter without the experience and knowledge is probably gonna buy the products labeled ultralight. Unfortunately, they're still gonna end up with a heavy packweight.

I remember someone saying if a piece of gear is modified, then it probably isn't ultralight.

I wish the word "ultralight" would just go away lol..

Some people don't care about pack weight. That's cool. But it's getting annoying hearing all these people say ultralight this and that.

I did too when I was new. But with more miles under my belt. It's more important to pack appropriately for the conditions and each trip.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yikes, that really is a silly video using the label "ultralight"! Before I watched it I thought you guys were being a bit snobby, but no, the video is just plain silly. Nalgene bottles, tent footprints and 65L packs? But her pack didn't look like it was 65L, plus she was kinda hot (older ladies that are totally ripped look hot to us 60 year olds..), and it looked like it was filmed in CO....
    she is ripped, climbed everest and lohste 8km in 24 hours. Dayum.

Dont forget superultralight.

Off topic but Trip Reports have been a welcomed topic here on WB for many yrs particularly, IMO when offered at a time when no one else is offering them, during winter, doing multi week never leaving Nature itineraries, with insightful sometimes unknown details, like water availability, trail descriptions, etc, and great pics. Tipi's Trip Reports are inspiration to many, including myself, even if his trips are approached somewhat differently than my standard approaches. I appreciate hearing about trips and trip reports not done in the same cookie cutter mundane fashion. Tipi's trips expand my tolerance and knowledge of what others are experiencing. I like that!

High Falls area on the Oswegatchie River... High_Falls_CL50.jpg

Regards to the Nat Geo video, I would call that lightweight kit and not really UL. Very subjective, of course, depending upon where/when you happen to be backpacking, but 5 days food and 1 liter of water and I'm a tick over 20 lbs.
    That site at high falls is actually not a designated spot. In fact the dec has put up "do not camp here" disks which often are removed.

However, your point remains valid, there are many designated sites close to streams, and other waters. They are marked with "camp here" disks. No disk=not designated.

++ New Posts ++