WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dry Camping

That's a great point. I too sweat like a pig. When I hike in the east, my hiking clothes are rarely dry. But, that's life.

For me, I need about 3 litres to dry camp. I like to drink roughly a litre over the first 30 or 45 minutes after getting to my campsite because my body is usually short water. I require about 1 litre to make supper (and I usually eat/drink all of that litre, either in the food that I've made or in the "dishwater" that I drink after supper). And, over the course of the night and in the morning, I usually drink a litre of water. During the night, when I wake up, I take a good sip of water and then go back to sleep. That process requires a good half-litre. When I awake, I am usually reasonably well hydrated and ready to start my day. I don't mind hiking the first 3 or 4 miles in the morning without water. It's cool and I'm hydrated, so it's no biggie.

On a few occasions, I've passed a thirsty night. That really sucks. Last summer I was stupid enough to leave town with only 1 litre and I climbed probaby 2,000 feet onto a ridge with no water. It started raining and my legs were tired, so I made camp with only a half-litre. It was a crappy night and I was happy to find a stream a couple miles later the next morning. On other occasions, I've spent a couple of thirsty nights in the desert, but it certainly wasn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    While I agree with your advice above, I want to point out that the amount of water needed depends heavily on the individual.

I sweat and consume water more than average and when I dry camp I try to bring at least 4 liters, two for the night and two for the morning. I could certainly survive with two, however I would not rest or rehydrate adequately with that amount and it screws me up the next day. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a hiking buddy that I've dry camped with who will use less than a liter in the same amount of time.

Dispersed and LNT camping can be accomplished together.

A site does not have to be void of vegetation to follow LNT ethics - desert sand, red rock, granite slabs.

GOOD campsites abound on the AT depending on how one camps and how one defines GOOD. Getting back to the topicLittle Rock is advancing, as well as Nsherry, Garlic, Fiddlehead, Dune Eliiot, GOOD campsites can be defined as not on or adjacent to water. Unfortunately

Unfortunately, entirely too many backpackers, including the woman advancing UL on the Nat Geo thread, see it essential, which can often be more accurately defined as for convenience sake, camp at water. It's the AT hiker norm. Many a experienced hiker have found it not essential to camp near or at water and, as some have said, can be problematic.

A site does not have to be void of vegetation to follow LNT ethics - desert sand, red rock, granite slabs...

Even grass, duff, and pine straw on the ground sites can be leave no trace sites. IMO, one of the issues with many established AT campsites is that they are on so called durable or hardened/compacted surfaces but become muddy or are depressed so they hold water. Compounding these issues is the amount of usage and those not acquainted with following LNT ethics.

Garlic
    Images

Many of us have different definitions of "camping." For me, it means "lying down to sleep." I very seldom eat where I camp (a habit I gained in grizz country), maybe a handful of nuts and/or raisins. On the southern AT, I found so many sites with deep leaf duff, just out of sight of the trail, I didn't even need a pad and usually didn't need to pitch a shelter. I laid down for ten hours, got up and started walking again.

An aside: I'm a retired wildland firefighter, and I while I enjoyed that soft ground, I remember being distressed at the amount of leaf duff back in '08, thinking, "I sure hope this never burns."

While I never attended a survival school, when I got stationed in 29 Palms, CA, they had us sit through some classes on desert survival. One of the takeaways I remember was that they said NOT to try to ration water. "If you're thirsty, drink. It does more good in your body than it does in your canteen" They went on to say that often the dead bodies they found in the desert had canteens with water in them.
    Granted, I don't think you should chug a whole liter just because you are a little thirsty - regular sipping is probably a much more efficient way of getting water to absorb into our system.

Sometimes I'll fill both my water bottles, and fill a "spare" reservoir or bladder/ bags of water to filter later if it's only a short hike to where I'll be camping... I'd rather carry a little extra weight than not have enough in the morning - because I don't like to double back, and if it's really cold, I don't like getting water in the morning.

One last thought. Last Fall, in the southern part of the AT, several of the "reliable" water sources were dry. I carried more water than usual because I didn't know where water would be. If I were going to do a dry camp in those conditions, I'd want the ability to carry twice my "normal" full load.

How much water are you guys drinking a day (on average) when dry camping? Somebody said when "Aron Ralston" had only a few sips of water left that it would have been better to drink it all instead of trying to prolong it for the entire time he was trapped. Do you guys disagree with this? I personally think prolonging food/water as long as possible is better unless it's too small of an amount then just using it all at once is more beneficial.

Thanks for all the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by theory View Post
    How much water are you guys drinking a day (on average) when dry camping?
    I think you mean to ask "how much water do you use at a dry camp". Water source locations are well documented along the AT so you can plan when and where you'll need to get water. So, when you get to a water source near the end of the day, you fill up with as much water as you think you'll need to get to the next source the next day. For most people, that will be whatever amount they have the capacity to carry. But one has to be careful in the late summer months as some locations will be dry and can't be counted on.

Exactly how much depends mostly if you have to cook or not. Cooking will typically demand at least 2 cups of water for a dinner. If you also have to cook in the morning, there's another cup. Plus what you want to drink. You might want to brush your teeth too. 3L minimum for cook option, 2L for no cook option.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In the summer I will want 3 liters. I will use one for cooking supper, making tea, and drinking before bed. I have a bottle by me at night. If I was sweating a lot the day before, I takes a while to rehydrate. I will repeatedly wake up in the middle of the night thirsty so I take a sip. Last summer I drank a whole liter over night. I will want the last liter to drink in the morning to get me to the next water source.

How much water are you guys drinking a day (on average) when dry camping? . . .
    As noted elsewhere, it depends on how much you would normally drink between the last and next water source and how much you drink overnight.
    If I am not cooking in camp, so I don't have to carry cooking and clean-up water, I can easily get by on as little as a pint and not stress too much if the next water source is only an hour or less away.

Again, if not cooking in camp, I would recommend carrying what you think you would carry anyway if you were not camping, and then add a pint or so to manage your overnight water needs. If you are going to cook between water sources, add the amount of water you need to cook the meals your are going to cook.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    As noted elsewhere, it depends on how much you would normally drink between the last and next water source and how much you drink overnight.
    If I am not cooking in camp, so I don't have to carry cooking and clean-up water, I can easily get by on as little as a pint and not stress too much if the next water source is only an hour or less away.

Again, if not cooking in camp, I would recommend carrying what you think you would carry anyway if you were not camping, and then add a pint or so to manage your overnight water needs. If you are going to cook between water sources, add the amount of water you need to cook the meals your are going to cook.
    Since I generally don't like cooking in the evening when getting to camp, and definitely prefer to cook a bigger meal during the day (for afternoon energy boost), it is easier to dry camp when all you need is a little drinking water.

Know where the last water source is before your dry camp...sit there and drink 2 quarts of water before filling your bottles. I typically use 4 quarts of water a day while hiking...if I camp near water I take 2 quarts with me when I leave in the morning and that usually lasts me the day...then I use 2 quarts in the evening cooking dinner and rehydrating.

I use a rule of thumb that I need 1litre of water per 5 miles, with an adjustment for temperatures and amount of climbing. So if there's 10 miles between reliable water sources, I typically carry 2 litres.

To camp overnight, I tend to use about 3 litres.

Garlic
    Images

In temperate weather, on good trail, with plenty of water sources (AT hike), I'll plan for one liter per ten miles, one liter to camp.

I've done plenty of overnight desert crossings in cooler temps, up to 45 miles between water sources, with six liters of water and have some left over to get out to emergency water if needed.

In temps exceeding 90F, I adjust up a bit.

Is anybody drinking a gallon of water a day when thru hiking? I keep thinking this is what my body needs (at least) if not more.

Is anybody drinking a gallon of water a day when thru hiking? I keep thinking this is what my body needs (at least) if not more.
    I doubt I drink a full gallon a day unless it is exceedingly hot. In winter, spring, and fall, I probably drink 1.5 to 2 L a day, not counting breakfast and dinner. In summer, I've drunk up to a gallon a day on hot days with high mileage. But, more often I probably drink 2 - 3 liters plus whatever for breakfast and dinner. Since I generally drink quite a bit (never more than a liter) when I fill up with water, I don't keep really close track of how much I drink.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I use a rule of thumb that I need 1litre of water per 5 miles, with an adjustment for temperatures and amount of climbing. So if there's 10 miles between reliable water sources, I typically carry 2 litres.

To camp overnight, I tend to use about 3 litres.
    I'm about the same. If the hiking weather is 70 degrees or less, then 1 liter every 5 miles is about right. Once it gets above 80, then 1 liter every 3 miles. Camping overnight is 2 liters.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

In the summer I use 4-5 liters of water a day on the trail, however as I said above, I sweat a lot and drink more water than average.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Initially, I carried too much. That is what I would recommend. Carry more than you think is necessary until you know how much you need to carry. Being / getting dehydrated is not safe. Muscle cramping, decreased ability to regulate heat (in the winter), and plenty of other health issues can occur from being dehydrated.

In the summer, down here in FL when the temp is in the mid 90's, I drank a gallon of water in 12 miles. In cooler weather, on the AT, I've hiked 13 or so miles on 1.5 liters. <-- That wasn't enough water, but I don't feel as thirsty when it's cold out, so I forget to drink. When I got to camp that evening, I drank a lot to catch up - and had to get up to pee during the night - and it was very cold that night.

A gallon 3.7 liters...just for reference

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++