WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dry Camping

Images

Default Dry Camping

Thinking back on last year's AT trips, and remembered a stretch where I dry camped for three straight nights with only 2L of water each night. Starting this thread to share lessons learned, and let other share tips/experiences.

1) You can camp with only 2L of water, for multiple nights in a row, even in warm, dry weather, without getting dehydrated
    + Note that this only works if the next water source is within a half day's walk. If water sources are further apart than that, you need to carry extra water to hike with the next day.
    + You must be willing to carry an extra 4-6 lbs of water uphill on tired legs at the end of the day.
    + All water should be used for drinking or cooking. Things like washing dishes or brushing teeth can wait until your next refill.
    + Ration your water. Take a sip every few minutes. Don't chug or take long drinks.
    + In warm weather, get up and start hiking early. This will keep sweating to a minimum and allow your body to conserve water.
    + Stop and drink a liter of water when you refill at the next water source. Even if you don't feel like you need it.

2) You can camp anywhere where you can find 10 square feet of flat ground (or two sturdy trees 8-10 feet apart, if you like to hang)
    + Stop and enjoy the sunset and sunrise at that place with the gorgeous view. :-)
    + Of course, camping restrictions should be obeyed where applicable, and designated sites or at least previously used spots are preferred over creating new ones

3) You can experience solitude every night, even on the AT
    + This was the best part of my experience. I loved listening to the sounds of nature instead of human voices. And I woke up one morning to a herd of deer grazing near my campsite.
    + Stopping in between the shelters means they're usually empty by the time you reach them. I stopped for a long break at the first shelter late morning every day and never had any company.
    It's all good in the woods.

Great points on dry camping. I do it a lot, but with a slightly different strategy.

Dry camping doesn't require carrying even 1 L of water if you stop and fix you dinner meal at or near a water source, then hike some more before you stop to make camp for the night. Then, if get up in the morning, eat small snack if you choose, to hold you over until the next water source, where you can stop and cook a bigger breakfast as your first morning hiking break.

I probably do this separation of eating and camping more than I don't when hiking in the summer (long day) months. It gives me more hours on the trail, better water sources for eating meals and better camp sites when I don't have to try and accommodate cooking/water needs into my camping. I love getting onto the trail early and I love hiking to sunset, both of which separating meals from camping assists with.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Great points on dry camping. I do it a lot, but with a slightly different strategy.

Dry camping doesn't require carrying even 1 L of water if you stop and fix you dinner meal at or near a water source, then hike some more before you stop to make camp for the night. Then, if get up in the morning, eat small snack if you choose, to hold you over until the next water source, where you can stop and cook a bigger breakfast as your first morning hiking break.
    This is a great way to extend your days mileage and to possibly camp at a beautiful spot you ordinarily wouldn't have been able to. I do this a lot. I like to stop and eat at a shelter if possible to make use of the picnic table and then go on a few miles to find that "perfect" camp spot. Another benefit of this is you can hike more miles without feeling like you've necessarily done so. The break to eat leaves you feeling rejuvenated and the last few miles do not feel nearly as taxing at the end of a day as they normally do.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Yes. I did this on my first AT hike in central VA. It was mid afternoon (too early for dinner or camping), but was looking at a long climb followed by a long dry ridge walk. It was possible I might make it down the other side to the next shelter/water supply by nightfall, but I couldn't be sure (I was already pretty tired). So I filled all my water containers (about 3 L) and carried them up the mountain (this was mid summer in VA, so it was hot). The reward was that I found a small clearing in some rocks at narrow spot of the ridge . I could see the sun set on one side of my tent and the sun rise on the other. Probably my best campsite ever.

Another advantage of dry camping is that along the AT, shelters are usually built where there is water and this is often down the mountain from the trail. I would rather not give up too much elevation on a hike down a side trail to a shelter/water supply. There are enough pointless ups and downs without adding extra that don't get you closer to your destination. So if I am at a water source on the trail and see that the next water source is going to involve a lot of elevation gain/loss, I fill up with enough water so I can avoid that PUD.

Great comments and thread Little Rock. Nailed it.

Just as hiking early in the cooler weather applies to needing less water so does hiking in the cooler late afternoon and after sunset times.

Littles sips can be swished around in the mouth and held in the mouth longer rather than all gulped immediately. Both these points are taught in the military for survival water rationing.

In warm weather consider not cooking that takes up water. If one does cook pot can be cleaned with sand, pebbles, dry non sappy duff like dry pine or fir needles or other leaves or lichen/mosses. Wipe dry with ditty cloth.

I also like to fix meal near a creek or water source, and then hike on a bit to find a great view or location to tie up my hammock. It's a great rest break, and helps the meal settle instead of climbing in my hammock and turning into a slug. Ha!

During the recent 5 month drought in the Southeast I routinely carried 9 lbs of extra water to allow me to dry camp on ridgetops for 3 to 4 days in a row---from one camp to another. It sucked. Once the drought ended in December my life returned to normal, thank you Buddha.

The water sources I did find were simple mud seeps if I was lucky and with a little work I could pump out the necessary liters after digging out a seep hole to let the water settle.

Here's one typical mountain spring source during the drought. It was a lifesaver but I had to go down the dry spring watershed to find it. It allowed me to tank up with 4+ liters and stay on a long ridge trail for 3 days on one water load.

These kind of seeps are why I carry a pump filter and not a sawyer gravity feed thingie. Pumping allows for getting clean water with a minimum of mud or silt.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

While I agree with your advice above, I want to point out that the amount of water needed depends heavily on the individual.

I sweat and consume water more than average and when I dry camp I try to bring at least 4 liters, two for the night and two for the morning. I could certainly survive with two, however I would not rest or rehydrate adequately with that amount and it screws me up the next day. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a hiking buddy that I've dry camped with who will use less than a liter in the same amount of time.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Just remember: LNT principals say that you should only be camping on hardened sites. If there's vegetation, it's not a campsite (yeah, hammocks are less damaging, but you still end up walking around a bunch and trampling stuff). Thankfully, there is no shortage of existing hardened sites all along the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Of course, camping restrictions should be obeyed where applicable, and designated sites or at least previously used spots are preferred over creating new ones
    Just to add...hikers should NEVER be creating new campsites. With thousands of thru-hikers each year now and probably tens of thousands more section hikers and weekenders, if even a small fraction of hikers decided to create their own sites, the damage to the soil and vegetation would be immense. Luckily, there are a zillion sites along the AT already--many of these have fire rings already. You could stealth/dry camp every night on a thru hike and not disturb a blade of grass if you are careful with site selection.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

I probably do this separation of eating and camping more than I don't when hiking in the summer (long day) months. It gives me more hours on the trail, better water sources for eating meals and better camp sites when I don't have to try and accommodate cooking/water needs into my camping. I love getting onto the trail early and I love hiking to sunset, both of which separating meals from camping assists with.
    Exactly my take, one liter is plenty for me. I've done it with half that. Many desert hiking trips have led me to a point where I actually now seek out dry sites for their intrinsic benefits--warmer, fewer insects, less vermin after my food, usually better views.

I like to dry camp also, but usually within an hour or so of the previous and next water sources. What makes it more difficult for me is the addition of two dogs...I can't really explain to them why I don't have water when they are thirsty!

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Just to add...hikers should NEVER be creating new campsites. With thousands of thru-hikers each year now and probably tens of thousands more section hikers and weekenders, if even a small fraction of hikers decided to create their own sites, the damage to the soil and vegetation would be immense. Luckily, there are a zillion sites along the AT already--many of these have fire rings already. You could stealth/dry camp every night on a thru hike and not disturb a blade of grass if you are careful with site selection.
    Are you accurately reflecting LNT? I see it says you can use dispersed camping being sure to not reuse areas which turns them into hardened campsites. It seems you are overstating the LNT philosophy.

I prefer what you call "Dry camping".
    In the east, camping near a creek or down in a hollow, can mean lots of dew and no views.
    I often use nSherry61's method, or: carry 2 litres and cook at that high campsite with a view.
    We are creatures of habit.
    Dry camping is a good one. IMO.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    Are you accurately reflecting LNT? I see it says you can use dispersed camping being sure to not reuse areas which turns them into hardened campsites. It seems you are overstating the LNT philosophy.
    I agree. Especially if you go 200' or more off trail. I dispersed site is like to never be used again. Unless he's referring to camping around shelters one should use established spaces if you an stand the noise.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

While it's true there maybe a zillion places to camp along the AT, there are a finite number of GOOD places to camp along the AT and pretty much every one has been used at some point, with the best ones obvious from prior use. And if it's not a designated site, you really shouldn't be making a fire, even if some idiot did made a fire ring there at some point.

Apparently some of you are really good at finding good campsites or your not very picky at all where you camp. During the day as you hike along, look around and ask yourself "If it was getting dark and I needed to find a place to camp really soon, would there be decent one around here?" The answer is "probably not".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    Right here on the ATC website:
    Restrict activities to areas where vegetation is already absent
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...rable-surfaces
    If you don't believe them, here are guidelines from another area with a ton of backpackers, Yosemite NP website:
    Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
    • Durable surfaces include established trails and campsites, rock, gravel, dry grasses or snow.
    • Good campsites are found, not made. Altering a site is not necessary.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lnt.htm

Only in recent years have I seen the benefits of dry camping, providing the next day's water source isn't too far ahead. On my Colorado Trail thruhike in 2011, we dry-camped at least 3 nights but were I hiking it again, I'd probably do more dry camps. As others have stated, my preference is to cook dinner by a water source in mid-to-late afternoon and ration my water such that when I camp, I have a liter for breakfast the next day (or two if it's still long to a water source).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    While I agree with your advice above, I want to point out that the amount of water needed depends heavily on the individual.

I sweat and consume water more than average and when I dry camp I try to bring at least 4 liters, two for the night and two for the morning. I could certainly survive with two, however I would not rest or rehydrate adequately with that amount and it screws me up the next day. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a hiking buddy that I've dry camped with who will use less than a liter in the same amount of time.
    This. Which is precisely why there is a 3L Nalgene soft cantene hanging from the back of my pack, in addition to the 3L hydration bladder...two L at night, two L in the am, two L to the next water hole....YMMV...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++