WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cainerguy View Post
    And big thanks to the rest of you! Sounds like some people had some pretty traumatizing experiences with dogs on the trail. It seems to be a very heated topic.
    Dogs on the trail is always a hotbutton topic in backpacking forums. Fortunately this is one of those subjects that is much less of a problem in real life than it is on the internet.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Dogs on the trail is always a hotbutton topic in backpacking forums. Fortunately this is one of those subjects that is much less of a problem in real life than it is on the internet.
    Until you encounter a bad dog and an idiot owner, which happens to me at least once on each of my LD hikes, and often a number of times.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Until you encounter a bad dog and an idiot owner, which happens to me at least once on each of my LD hikes, and often a number of times.
    +1. I've never had an entire trip ruined by a bad dog/owner, but I've certainly had a number of days ruined.

Bad dog....kelev 'ra....just sayin...

I seem to encounter allot more idiots than bad dogs in every day life as well as on the trail! Seriously SLO how does ones dog ruin your trip? Just curious? Also making sure I don't fall into that category.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I seem to encounter allot more idiots than bad dogs in every day life as well as on the trail! Seriously SLO how does ones dog ruin your trip? Just curious? Also making sure I don't fall into that category.....[emoji]
    Nobody said anything about ruining a whole trip, but having to deal with someone's aggressive, barking, or otherwise out of control dog even for a few minutes isn't something I enjoy nor should I or anyone else have to put up with.

You ever have a big dog come running at you barking and snarling with it's hair up and not letting you pass? Then the owner finally comes out and says "Oh, he doesn't like men with beards"? ***? Or have three big dogs surround you barking and snapping at you to finally have the owner come a few minutes later to call them off? Or have a big dog come running down hill full tilt at you and nearly knock you down? Or have a dog lunge and nearly take a bite out of you as you pass by? Ever been kept up all night by someone's dog barking at every little sound? These are just some of the incidents I've had to deal with.

Nobody said anything about ruining a whole trip, but having to deal with someone's aggressive, barking, or otherwise out of control dog even for a few minutes isn't something I enjoy nor should I or anyone else have to put up with.

You ever have a big dog come running at you barking and snarling with it's hair up and not letting you pass? Then the owner finally comes out and says "Oh, he doesn't like men with beards"? ***? Or have three big dogs surround you barking and snapping at you to finally have the owner come a few minutes later to call them off? Or have a big dog come running down hill full tilt at you and nearly knock you down? Or have a dog lunge and nearly take a bite out of you as you pass by? Ever been kept up all night by someone's dog barking at every little sound? These are just some of the incidents I've had to deal with.
    I hear ya...fortunately I haven't experienced that...I'd be pissed also...dumb people shouldn't have kids or pets!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Slo buddy, you seem to be having trouble with the context of this conversation. My comment was not directed at you, it was a response from one responsible dog owner to another about hiking on the trail with our dogs.

Reading through negative comments on this forum give many new members the impression that dogs aren't welcome on the A.T. which is not the case. I've hiked extensively with my well behaved and leashed dog, and have been through the area that the OP is asking about many times. My interactions with other hikers have been almost entirely positive. Many hikers are very happy to see a well behaved and well cared for dog on the trail and she is actually a better conversation starter than I am when we meet new people on the trail. The hikers that are not interested in seeing my dog really aren't affected either way since she is quiet, leashed and kept out of people's personal space. One of the biggest surprises I had when I started hiking the A.T. with my dog is how many thru hikers cling on and want to hang out with her at campsites since they miss their own pets dearly and she becomes a surrogate. Basically what I've learned from eight years of section hiking in Southern New England is that well behaved pets with attentive owners are welcome.

The concerns you are voicing are certainly valid, it's even more difficult to deal with someone's poorly behaved dog when you have your own dog with you, so trust me we understand. That said the people using this forum to discuss best practices for hiking with their dogs are not the people that are ignorantly letting their dogs run amuck. All you're doing is preaching to the choir.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Reason # 47 not to stay in a shelter. Courteous dog owners are more prevalent on the trail however it seems bad experiences occur at shelters where dog owners allow their dog freedom of movement in a more crowded environment.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Well, it might not sound that way, but I do like dogs and dogs like me - for the most part. That dog who didn't like men with beards? Eventually we became friends, but it took a while. Mostly the problem dogs and owners are the day hikers and short section hikers. Or the beginning thru hiker who takes their suburban house dog out on the trail for the first time and the dog can't figure out why it's cold, wet and hungry and where's his nice comfy, warm couch?

just finished book 1&2 by the 61 year old English guy who did the trail.

He got a bad infection from a dog bite that almost ended his hike.

On the other hand, dogs that kill mice? I love them.

Rule number 1 about hiking with your dog. Dont ask White Blaze any questions on hiking with a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post
    Rule number 1 about hiking with your dog. Dont ask White Blaze any questions on hiking with a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Must not have been a Manc. My standard Manc is GTG against any dog. He won't hesitate to go down a badger hole and bring the bugger out and have his way with it. His record is impressive. Two groundhogs, one badger, one coyote, countless skunks, racoons, possum. The last dog that tried him was a 90 pound Lab. The lab needed stitches and almost an eye...
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Sigh. Coyotes cause damage, kill pets(barn cats too), worry livestock and horses. They must go.
    Sounds like the coyote is just doing what your dog is doing.....just saying.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Sounds like the coyote is just doing what your dog is doing.....just saying.
    My dog doesn't kill cats, chase cattle and kill calves, chase horses, kill chickens, etc...he also doesn't kill deer...just sayin...

Again, if you've got a farm or land, you farm it the way you see fit. You have a house in the woods, and you want to deal with coyote, be my guest. He aint that cute critter that always gets killed by the speedy bird...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++