WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headlamp

Default Headlamp

The past two trips I have realized how poor my current headlamp is. I believe it is this model: https://www.rei.com/product/109856/petzl-tikka-headlamp. I currently have an REI giftcard so I am interested in purchasing something with a bit more lumen power (current light has 200 lumens) from there.

Does anyone have suggestions or care to share what they use? I am open to chargeable/ nonchargeable options. I am working full-time and in school so the longest of my trips is 7-10 days max. I also enjoy camping so it is not unheard of for me to use my light for 2-3 hours per night.

Thanks in advance.

I recently purchased one of these and really like it.

Default Headlamp

I use a Petzl Tikka + I think, it's the one that uses three AAA's. It's bright enough to night-hike with, but light enough to forget I have it. Can't go wrong with Petzl I can't imagine.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've liked my Black Diamond Ion Headlamp (except that I've been able to find it on sale in the past for more like $16 if you don't care about colors).

I've not used it for night hiking (so I can't comment on that). It's max Lumens is 'only' 100 (half of the Petzl listed above).

But the things I have liked about it:
    Light weight and compact.
    It only requires 2 AAA batteries (I think it comes with a set of lithium batteries).
    Can be digitally locked (so that it doesn't accidentally turn on during the day and run the batteries out).
    White and Red lights.
    Dimmable (one complaint I've got with it is that when you 1st turn it on, it starts at near max, and when you go to dim it, it first ramps to max and then dims... really hurts your eyes when you turn the thing on in the middle of the night. Wish that when you turned it on, it started at min and then ramped up).

One other down side for some hikers is that the electronic control is a 'touch' control, which means that you have to take your gloves off to control it.
    [Edit]
    Wait a minute... that's the old version (what you'll likely get if you find one on sale). Looks like this is the new design that instead has a push button control (check out the YouTube video on the Black Diamond Web site).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 02-07-2017 at 18:15.

Journal Entries

I have a wonderful little wallyworld head lamp that I have used for 3 years I think? Water resistant and uses 3 AAA batteries. It cost me all of $12 for the Ozark Trail Brand. It has 3 settings: bright, dim, and red.

Last year I bought at least $5 worth of watch battery powered head lamps at $1 each. One to use and 4-5 sets of spare batteries.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Sorry. Bought at Walmart.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I don't know if available at REI, but I highly recommend the Thrunight TH20.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    The past two trips I have realized how poor my current headlamp is. I believe it is this model: https://www.rei.com/product/109856/petzl-tikka-headlamp. I currently have an REI giftcard so I am interested in purchasing something with a bit more lumen power (current light has 200 lumens) from there.

Does anyone have suggestions or care to share what they use? I am open to chargeable/ nonchargeable options. I am working full-time and in school so the longest of my trips is 7-10 days max. I also enjoy camping so it is not unheard of for me to use my light for 2-3 hours per night.

Thanks in advance.
    Wait.

What?

Are you actually saying 200 LUMENS is NOT enough ILLUMINATION for you? Really?

Ok.....I guess some people might be quite...night-blind. There are some mega-Lumen lights out there, mostly for big mountain stuff. Not cheap. Not light. The best of the price/weight/Lumen battle seems to be this light, with 500 lumens at 100 bucks at a not-so-light 8.1 ounces with batteries. Please be mindful of the reliability comments. My family experience with BD lights is poor. Everyone I personally know, save for one, has had back luck with BD lights. I, personally, will never use a BD light in a situation where failure would leave me likely to be injured or die as a result. But, this one is an alleged total redesign...alleged.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_...q=icon&start=1

In the Petzl line(just as respected in the climbing world) you should look at this with 300 lumen for 45 bucks...

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/AC...eadlamps/ACTIK

Here's a 400 lumen unit with 900 lumen burst mode. Takes expensive batteries...

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-HP12-Pr...fenix+headlamp

Good luck and remember that google is your friend too....

Leonidas

400 lumens, micro usb rechargable, 3 oz, $40. Not REI.
    http://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecor...-nite-nu30.htm
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Thanks! I think I've just found my next headlamp.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Downside to rechargeables is that when the batteries are exhausted you can't simply change to fresh ones and carry on. (Altho some rechargeables can accept loose cell NiMH or Li). Also rechargeable batteries develop "memory" over time (=recharge cycles) as internal resistance increases and limits recharge capacity.

. . . something with a bit more lumen power (current light has 200 lumens) from there. . .
    Since this is a backpacking forum and not a Baja racing forum and you don't suggest that you are trying to light up a super bowl stadium, I am suspicious that there is something going on with your current light that is keeping it from producing 200 lumens if that is truly the light you have. Your car headlights are only about 500 lumens and most of us get along fine hiking trails and making camp with less than 100 lumens. And, Petzl lights are good quality, in general. If your current light is an older model Tikka, it is likely more like 100 lumens than 200 lumens since they just upped the light output significantly this season across the whole brand.

If you haven't put new batteries in your current light, and your current light is 100 lumens or more, I would play around with batteries and maybe compare your current light output with the display models at your REI to see if you really want more than 200 lumens. Maybe there is a setting on your light that you haven't figured out yet that gets you more power? Going over 300 lumens is expensive and complete overkill unless your are route-finding the side of a mountain hundreds of yards ahead of you.

For what it's worth, I use 900 lumens on my mountain bike for night riding down hill at speed over technical terrain. I have NEVER used more than 100 lumens backpacking or over 200 lumens mountaineering! And, I don't use over 200 lumens on my mountain bike until I turn downhill.

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've liked my Black Diamond Ion Headlamp (except that I've been able to find it on sale in the past for more like $16 if you don't care about colors).

I've not used it for night hiking (so I can't comment on that). It's max Lumens is 'only' 100 (half of the Petzl listed above).

But the things I have liked about it:
    Light weight and compact.
    It only requires 2 AAA batteries (I think it comes with a set of lithium batteries).
    Can be digitally locked (so that it doesn't accidentally turn on during the day and run the batteries out).
    White and Red lights.
    Dimmable (one complaint I've got with it is that when you 1st turn it on, it starts at near max, and when you go to dim it, it first ramps to max and then dims... really hurts your eyes when you turn the thing on in the middle of the night. Wish that when you turned it on, it started at min and then ramped up).

One other down side for some hikers is that the electronic control is a 'touch' control, which means that you have to take your gloves off to control it.
    +1 on this BD Ion, my wife just bought one and I borrowed it recently for a 5-day BP in the grand canyon; it is a fantastic little light, and I think 100 lumens is plenty for night hiking. I do agree the dimming progression is a bit weird, but no big deal at all. No issue with the button wearing relatively thin gloves.

With lithium AAA's, the weight comes in at 1.6 ounces (vs. 1.9 with alkalines). I've owned a few older BD headlamps, a couple of BD spots, and I've never had any problem whatsoever with them. We'll be using BD Ion's on this year's AT adventure.

Both the Tika and Zipka have 200 lumens at REI, 100 everywhere else. Petzl has the new Accu Core 12500 mAh rechargeable battery that should be out in the next couple of weeks. The Zipka and Accu Core will my choice for the AT. Less weight than my BD Spot.

I've been using the Fenix HL60R for the last few months and love it. The battery is a rechargeable Lithium Ion 18650 that will run it for several overnight hikes at 50 lumens (roughly the same light output as a Tikka/Spot/Energizer lamp) or you can bump it up as high as 900+ lumens for shorter intervals. Charging circuitry is built into the lamp so you can charge it directly with a micro USB cable like any Android phone uses. It's $75 MSRP but you can buy it for 20% off at the Fenix website. The battery is easily removable as well so you can carry a spare just like you would for your current AA/AAA lamp. Waterproof as well.
    http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl6...-led-headlamp/

Five output modes plus a red light

• Turbo: 950 Lumens (48 min.)
    • High: 400 Lumens (3 hr.)
    • Mid: 150 Lumens (10 hr.)
    • Low: 50 Lumens (29 hr.)
    • Eco: 5 Lumens (100 hr.)
    • Red Light: 1 Lumen (100 hr.)

Those specs are with the included 2600mAH battery, but you can purchase a 3500 if you need even longer life per charge.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Since this is a backpacking forum and not a Baja racing forum and you don't suggest that you are trying to light up a super bowl stadium, I am suspicious that there is something going on with your current light that is keeping it from producing 200 lumens if that is truly the light you have. Your car headlights are only about 500 lumens and most of us get along fine hiking trails and making camp with less than 100 lumens. And, Petzl lights are good quality, in general. If your current light is an older model Tikka, it is likely more like 100 lumens than 200 lumens since they just upped the light output significantly this season across the whole brand.

If you haven't put new batteries in your current light, and your current light is 100 lumens or more, I would play around with batteries and maybe compare your current light output with the display models at your REI to see if you really want more than 200 lumens. Maybe there is a setting on your light that you haven't figured out yet that gets you more power? Going over 300 lumens is expensive and complete overkill unless your are route-finding the side of a mountain hundreds of yards ahead of you.

For what it's worth, I use 900 lumens on my mountain bike for night riding down hill at speed over technical terrain. I have NEVER used more than 100 lumens backpacking or over 200 lumens mountaineering! And, I don't use over 200 lumens on my mountain bike until I turn downhill.

Good luck.
    Thanks everyone for the comments. After reading everyone's thoughts on the 200 Lumens I will swap out the batteries and give this headlamp another try this weekend. I put new batteries on a 4 night trip earlier this winter but I guess with a lot of down time in camp and cold weather, perhaps the batteries wore a lot faster than expected.

Thanks everyone for the comments. After reading everyone's thoughts on the 200 Lumens I will swap out the batteries and give this headlamp another try this weekend. I put new batteries on a 4 night trip earlier this winter but I guess with a lot of down time in camp and cold weather, perhaps the batteries wore a lot faster than expected.
    And, if it isn't this year's model sold exclusively at REI, it won't have the 200 lumens. Petzl is in bed with REI...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I have one I picked up at Lowes hardware store... pretty sure it's the same thing as this but a different brand....like a lowes store brand I think. It's ok and I like it for what it is....but I don't think it's great for lightweight packing....just doesn't feel durable to me.

my 2 cents when looking at lights...and this isn't really a backpacking focus where one might be more concerned with weight....
    but I prefer a AA battery over a AAA battery because there is more energy stored in the AA...and AA is always available
    & I never go for anything rechargeable or anything with a button cell....and never anything that takes a "special battery, like the old N cells and the streamlights

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++