My plan is to get myself to Springer, from the Atlanta Airport in late March 2017, walk the trail for a few days, just to wet my beak, not a thru hike, I don't have that much time off, then get back to Atlanta and fly home because I have to get back to work.

I need to do this on the cheap or not at all.

Atlanta to Gainesville, I understand the Greyhound goes there, but how far from the bus to the trailhead is unclear. There is too much information out there. I have spoken to Hikers Hostel and that's an option for insertion but extraction is the concern.

I have no idea how far I will get on the trail, i know hetter than to guess without eyes on the ground, but say I get as far as Neels Gap.

Option 1 = Turn around and head back over my course to Springer, Gainesville then Atlanta. Walking over the same route. If I use the Hikers Hostel shuttle I won't know the route and how to get to the bus station.

Option 2 = Extract from Neels Gap, I understand a lot of hikers bail out there. I looked into shuttles but expensive.

Questions:
Cheaper if I travel with the Hikers who are bailing out at Neels Gap?.

Greyhound arrives in Gainesville late afternoon, then how far to the summit of Springer? Can I camp along the way when night overtakes me. 1st night in hotel is ok.

Same for extraction.

I will also need to mail drop or to buy esbit fuel, a knife and some other items before I hit the trail. Hotel in Gainesville is an option.

Thank you.