WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Discouraged with ground transportation on south end.

My plan is to get myself to Springer, from the Atlanta Airport in late March 2017, walk the trail for a few days, just to wet my beak, not a thru hike, I don't have that much time off, then get back to Atlanta and fly home because I have to get back to work.

I need to do this on the cheap or not at all.

Atlanta to Gainesville, I understand the Greyhound goes there, but how far from the bus to the trailhead is unclear. There is too much information out there. I have spoken to Hikers Hostel and that's an option for insertion but extraction is the concern.

I have no idea how far I will get on the trail, i know hetter than to guess without eyes on the ground, but say I get as far as Neels Gap.

Option 1 = Turn around and head back over my course to Springer, Gainesville then Atlanta. Walking over the same route. If I use the Hikers Hostel shuttle I won't know the route and how to get to the bus station.

Option 2 = Extract from Neels Gap, I understand a lot of hikers bail out there. I looked into shuttles but expensive.

Questions:
    Cheaper if I travel with the Hikers who are bailing out at Neels Gap?.

Greyhound arrives in Gainesville late afternoon, then how far to the summit of Springer? Can I camp along the way when night overtakes me. 1st night in hotel is ok.

Same for extraction.

I will also need to mail drop or to buy esbit fuel, a knife and some other items before I hit the trail. Hotel in Gainesville is an option.

Thank you.

Journal Entries

Theres many people that shuttle.
    They will be busy at that time

Theres nothing free or cheap, so get over it, unless you ride a bike.
    People have done this.

Your looking at ~40 miles from gainesville to springer.....your probably not walking it if you only intend to hike 30 miles on trail..
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-08-2017 at 07:47.

Kinda sorta what Muddy said....nothing is free. No shuttle is cheap. If you are broke, use your thumb....if not, you can try to tag along with somebody who is bailing at the same time and place as you. Not exactly a timely option...

I find it a little odd you list Chicago as your home and Atlanta as your destination. By air. Not cheap. Why aren't you taking the MegaBus to ATL from CHI for 40 bucks round-trip?

For what we get I do think that the shuttle rides are cheap, getting long rides to remote spots over some rough roads that tear up vehicles. The shuttle fees are not at all unreasonable.

It looks like that your budget and time constraints may not make it possible or worthwhile for a 31 mile hike.

How about out and back starting in Harper's Ferry. Ny would b easy on and off.

Thom

Journal Entries

Cheap is relative. I think shuttles are pretty cheap for what you get.
    I was in NY last week. Two 20 min taxi rides to /from airport. Total of $156. Actually they were car services, so a little more expensive and convenient than cab.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-08-2017 at 08:42.

I'd almost pick a section closer to home just to lessen the crowd situation during that time-frame. It'll be pricey to fly and then get 2 shuttles unless you thumb it. It's doable, but won't be very cheap and there will be quite a time crunch from Atlanta-hike-Atlanta.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries

Another vote for chose a different section, Front Royal/Harpers Ferry area to the NY/CT line has numerous options for easy transportation. While getting to the trail can be part of the fun, better to take more time on trail and it does seem like you are making it unnecessarily hard for just 'wetting your back'.

Images

Chicago to Harpers Ferry on the Capital Limited(Amtrak) arrives around 11:00 AM. Start hiking either north or south, I have done out and backs to use a round trip cheap ticket. Turn around halfway thru your time, train leaves for Chicago in the evening from Harpers Ferry.

I assume you chose Springer Mt north to Neels Gap or somewhere there about to hike wanting to experience hiking within the AT NOBO hiker bubble? As MW said busy time of the yr. This has pros and cons.

You mentioned extraction. Maybe, you were in the military? Military logistics go more smoothly according to a plan often having a primary extraction pt with a possible alternate. The mission is organized and planned. Your extraction sequence lacks this since you don't know how far you'll be hiking. Even if you were to serendipitously hook up with those who terminate at Neels Gap you'd be leaving much to chance because you don't know what those people are doing or where they are going at Neels Gap. Sketchy organization if having a flight back in Atlanta with a locked in pre booked flight time, limited hiking timeframe, doing all this on the cheap, and with a job to get back to in Chicago.

IMO, getting to Gainesville GA is best for those taking Amtrak or G Hound from afar distance not just from Hartsfield-Jackson INT AP in Atlanta. It sounds like you'd be best off, if you have the flight to Atlanta already locked in, to jump on the Marta Red Line train from the AP to the N Springs Station(all safe travel modes and locations) having the Hiker Hostel pick you up there taking advantage of their Thru-Hiker Special which also includes shuttle to teh Springer. Overall cheaper. There's very good odds the Hiker Hostel will be picking up other hikers at the train station in late March. Coordinate your flight date and being at N Springs with the Hiker Hostel so to share shuttle rides. Again, this is a busy, very busy AT period.

If you do decide taking the GHound(inexpensive) from the AP to Gainesville coordinate your ETA maybe 90 mins before the GHound departs. The AP is the busiest in the world. At Gainesville not everyone gets to the AT via the Hiker Hostel and I assume it likely there will be others here getting shuttles, possibly a few diehards hitching, or those who haven't planned appropriately assume they will walk(LOL). Walking and hitching are feasible but for one having a limited few days it's sketchy. tagging along impromptu paying a shuttle fee from here could work. There will also be those getting off the train and bus(same location in G ville) that are locals going all or part way to Amicalola Falls or possibly Springer. Another, you don't know until you are there' scenario.

As said, from the Windy City to the AT there are other AT segments, IMO too, easier to insert and extract from possibly being a bit less expensive with less to leave to chance.

The guy wants to do the hike in late March, so that eliminates all the easy to get to places by public transportation, which there are not many of in the first place.

But really, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do a short trip like that when you'll spend twice as much time traveling back and forth and at no small expense. I'd wait until you have more time or money.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I flew to Colorado and did four days on the CDT one year. My wife sprained her ankle. Airfare X 2, hotels on both ends, dinners, etc. Shuttles too. Must have been $80 per trail mile.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

+1 to those recommending a different section for you. Fly to Washington DC, preferably National Airport, and take the train to Harpers Ferry. There's one AMTRAK train leaving around 4 PM but you can also take the MARC commuter trail. Arrange for a shuttle in HF to PenMar on the MD/PA border. Hike south to HF. It's 40 miles but 40 miles of the Maryland section is easier than 30 miles in Georgia.

You could also look into taking the overnight AMTRAK Capitol Limited from Chicago. It actually stops in Harpers Ferry, thus avoiding the need to get from the airport to HF. Plus, you can bring along your backpack instead of paying the airline the baggage feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I flew to Colorado and did four days on the CDT one year. My wife sprained her ankle. Airfare X 2, hotels on both ends, dinners, etc. Shuttles too. Must have been $80 per trail mile.
    You do look a little like a better groomed Mark Twain.

$80/trail mile. Did you hire a guide, lobster as trail food, troubadour, rose petals laid out on the trail before you as you hiked...?

I saw Minnesota Smith slack pack almost the entire 100 mile wilderness. Think he spent all of 1 maybe 2 nights on the trail and maybe carried a days', two day's food tops, at a very moderate MPD avg pace because of convenience and he said he had some injury. What he paid for all those deep into the wilderness shuttles and virtually daily resupply skittles drop offs I paid for more than 1/3 the entire trail that yr.

It seems to me that flying in to hike 3 or even 4 days on the trail in the busy season is just hard to do on the cheap.

Rons AT shuttle service is top notch and affordable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Slo. It seems like a lot of schlepping for a short hike. There are many easier on/off access points. You can get from Chicago to Harpers Ferry on the (daily) Capital Limited (Amtrak.) No further shuttles required. The train station is practically on the trail.

Thank you very much. Good to know BEFORE I get there.

I had conflicting info, that did not add up. Example, a source indicated that the hike from Gainesville to Springer Mountain was 8 miles. The map said otherwise. I always get a topo of the area. I learned that the hard way in the Rockies long ago.

I am looking at the DC option to Harpers Ferry probably in April, hoping to find a golden moment between cold and bugs. Thoughts on a northern insertion point are welcome. I figure Harpers Ferry is a good extraction point.

I may spend some time in DC, it looks like they need some advice. I have not been to DC since the Johnson (Lyndon not Andrew) administration.

For interesting hikes may I suggest the Spring Mountains just north of Las Vegas. Not too high, Mt. Charleston is about 9k. Dry camping in the late summer. Fly in and out of Las Vegas pretty cheap and when you have enough of roughing it in the mountains, Las Vegas is right there.

Thanks again.
    CTG

Chicago-Denver flights are dirt cheap. The Colorado Trail is reachable by public transit. There is bus service back to the airport from Frisco and/or Breckenridge. It's all on the internet.
    The Teton Crest Trail. Round trip air to Idaho Falls. Rental car to/from GTNP. Piece of cake.
    CDT section through Glacier NP. Fly to Kalispell. Pay shuttle to Apgar. Free shuttle across the park. Hike. Reverse.
    PCT or Tahoe Rim Trail via Reno and local bus services.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowngambler View Post
    I had conflicting info, that did not add up. Example, a source indicated that the hike from Gainesville to Springer Mountain was 8 miles. The map said otherwise. I always get a topo of the area. I learned that the hard way in the Rockies long ago.
    Never underestimate the simple utility of paper maps. Like, eg. state highway maps. Especially for us section hikers.

OTOH, your basic question about distance from Gainesville to the AT... could have been answered with Google Maps. Assuming you knew, for example, that the AT starts at (well, a few miles north of) Amicalola Falls State Park.toAFSP.JPG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++