Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Three Sisters area isn't doable without snowshoes until July, and then it is a mosquito hell until August. August -October is the best for the PCT in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th View Post
    The Three Sisters area isn't doable without snowshoes until July, and then it is a mosquito hell until August. August -October is the best for the PCT in this area.
    . I'm planning a trip on this section at this time to catch the eclipse in August. Mt. Hood to Ashland in 7-8 weeks. Please tell me more about weather, water supply, and hitching prospects. I am slow.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by 5th View Post
    I'm not taking sides as I do not know one way or the other, but I have read multiple people say that snowshoes on the PCT are a complete waste. Microspikes and/or snow axe are the way to go they say.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    I'm not taking sides as I do not know one way or the other, but I have read multiple people say that snowshoes on the PCT are a complete waste. Microspikes and/or snow axe are the way to go they say.
    I am one of those that made the comment about snowshoes BUT that was in the context of the Sierra in June, not Oregon. If you were to venture into the Sierra in early May then I would reco snowshoes except in an extraordinary year. Can't comment one way or another about what is needed in June but here is a nice photo from August. There was a metric boatload (more than an imperial boatload) of snow in that area. Snowshoeshoes were NOT needed that late.
    IMG_0714.JPG
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++