WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you guys for all your info and help. I agree with nearly everything that's been said here. Most likely going to go with Hiker Hostel, not sure how long I will be waiting at the AP for but I figured since I am arriving so late or early I should say that I don't except somebody to come get me at that exact time. I really couldn't find a good time flight wise, and it really isn't a BIG deal for me to fly at night and get there late. I am in no way an inpatient person, I can hangout for a bit and have some down time. The whole reason for not using Hiker Hostel in the first place was for many reasons, I don't plan on staying at any hostels along my hike. I prefer my tent as much as possible. Also, I am vegan so I don't think I'll be having much of a breakfast there. Though I would love to meet some hikers if anybody else is staying at the hostile that night. Again, I've looked at every angle and I think Hiker Hostel is the safest way to go.

4 am and all the time I'll be stuck at the AP before my flight and after my flight means I probably don't want to start hiking after a long 2 hr drive out of there. I would have been up way too long to want to attempt that. I'll likely be wired but once I make it back to the hostel I will probably pass out.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    I don't know what the differences are, but here's what I found: Uberpool $60-74; Uberx $71-93; UberXL $172-227; Uberselect $184-244; UberBLACK $278-369; UberSUV $348-460.

This is for Hartsfield Airport to Amicalola State Park. I have no idea what the different levels mean.

Uberpool would love to know how that works (as it is a pick up other passengers along the way and you may not be dropped off directly at your destination, or may have to walk a bit to the pickup).

I figure 80 bucks, ATL to Amicalola, is a bargain. Seriously.

Stop and get supplies on the way, as needed.

Hike to Black Gap Shelter and call it good for the day or pitch your tent before then.

Not to take any business away from the really good folks at HH, but with your flight getting in at 4am, this is a very doable plan. The alternative is to wait 6 or 8 hours(or however long) after you land to be picked up and then overnight at the HH, then drive in the morning to Springer with HH.

Again, my alternative only works because you get in so dang early...

Images

MARTA: First train 4:55 a.m. on weekdays and 5:50 a.m. on weekends and holidays.

Caught the redeye from vegas one time, expecting to be able to grab the train. Not a good decision.

If I use HH I will have to wait 8-9 hours to get picked up. I don't even assume that they will take me back right then if there are others needing to be picked up as well. Not my favorite option by any choice but I really don't want to make it super difficult. If sleeping at the airport is doable then I will just find a quiet spot and stay put until damn, noon lol.

Kid: Why is that guy sleeping on the floor?
    Mom: He must be one of those thru hikers who caught a cheap flight in the morning. What a moron.

Just a thought, what about a slightly different flight? I assume you are looking at the frontier flight arriving at 4:47 am that is as low as $62. Cheap flight, but it has a real cost on the arrival end. What about the Spirit flight which is as low as $86? It lands at 8:09 which gets you to North Springs Marta by 9:30 ish. You could still stop at WalMart for fuel and essentials. There is also a huge new Kroger and Publix in Dawsonville near the turn-off for Amicalola.

You might be able to arrange something much more convenient with HH or some other shuttle. Spending $20 on the flight may save you money on the shuttle. Getting an actual Uber driver to go all the way to Amicalola might be difficult.

Good observation there. Problem is I have now already booked my flight so I am dealing with the repercussions. The issue with using HH is that I had to book my flight around when they had available space since I never planned to use them originally. As far as I can tell if you use HH there will be some sort of wait involved. Nine hours is pretty ruff since I won't be able to do much during that time but I figure that will be the least of my worries. I did see the Spirit flight arriving just after 8 pm but figured that would get me there pretty late back at the hostel and I wouldn't be able to do much. I decided not to carry a stove/fuel/knife etc which is the main reason why I didn't think of using HH hence the whole Uber idea.

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    Just a thought, what about a slightly different flight? I assume you are looking at the frontier flight arriving at 4:47 am that is as low as $62. Cheap flight, but it has a real cost on the arrival end. What about the Spirit flight which is as low as $86? It lands at 8:09 which gets you to North Springs Marta by 9:30 ish. You could still stop at WalMart for fuel and essentials. There is also a huge new Kroger and Publix in Dawsonville near the turn-off for Amicalola.

You might be able to arrange something much more convenient with HH or some other shuttle. Spending $20 on the flight may save you money on the shuttle. Getting an actual Uber driver to go all the way to Amicalola might be difficult.

Looking at uber as a possibility as well. I want to get to Springer morning of the 12th Mar from North Springs, but at the moment the only shuttler that can do that day can't do until 2pm. Still waiting to hear back from 2 but not looking good.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Looking at uber as a possibility as well. I want to get to Springer morning of the 12th Mar from North Springs, but at the moment the only shuttler that can do that day can't do until 2pm. Still waiting to hear back from 2 but not looking good.
    It certainly seems like a do-able option for early morning (before 11am) arrivals, if Uber will actually have a driver willing to do the drive for the quoted price. Even at the upper end of $90, it does a few things:
    a. allows you to stop and grab fuel, lighters and whatever else you couldn't bring on the plane;
    b. allows you to get to the approach trail straight-away on your first day;
    c. may save you money v. being shuttled and spending the night and then being shuttled to Springer or Amicalola the next day;
    d. avoids the frustration of spending your first day wasting hours of waiting, then an evening, then a night, then most of a morning before getting on the damn trail...

Although, if you are coming in directly from Down Under, you might want a day and night to get your feet back under you. And a proper meal in your belly....just sayin...

I met a guy that claimed he Uber'd to springer from ATL, said it was around $80.00.
    Do the hiker hostel. Same price you get good rest and breakfast and get to meet some fellow hopeful thrus, Plus more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

There are some bonuses with Hiker Hostel. They will mail stuff home via USPS for no additional cost (think luggage (I put my pack in a bag), last minute stuff you decide not to take, electronics you wanted for the plane ride), they stop at Walmart for you so you don't have to worry about bringing food and fuel on the plane, and they have a small but good selection of hiking stuff for sale for last minute ideas. I would have liked to have spent the whole day at HH as it is a very relaxing place. The owners are also very knowledgeable of the AT and are interesting to talk to. Got there around dinner time.

Thinking about your trip has been kind of fun on a cool cloudy weekend. I think you have a few options:
    1. Wait at the airport for about an hour for the red line train to start to the North Springs station. Then it is about a 45 minute ride. From there you could Uber, HH, a different shuttle, or some kind soul who wants to drive into the mountains on a Saturday. My guess is this gets you to the North Springs Station at 7 - 7:30

2. Uber all the way from the airport. I'm just not sure how many airport Uber drivers want to go that far north of the metro area.

3. Uber to North Springs or Mansell Road (about $40) from there, get a shuttle (I think there is more than one), wait on HH, or some kind soul.

If you just need Walmart, go all the way to Dawsonville before stopping. It is literally a turn right off of 400 (the highway you'll take to Amicalola). It is your quickest in and out. Sporting goods are to the right, at the back of the store. If you need a little more, there is an Academy sporting goods in Cumming just off the interstate. There is also an Outdoor World in Dawsonville. (it is a small world, but they have a good selection)

You might seriously consider #1 and Mainiac's offer. I can't commit yet but I might be free on the 25th as well.

What time does the HH shuttle to Springer in the mornings?

If you could find one available and willing to make the drive I'm certain it would be cheaper. I say that because I checked out of curiousity what an Uber would be vs a shuttle from Woody to Unicoi. Uber estimated it at $30 and a shuttle was around $60. Again, shuttle guys know what they're getting in to, Uber guys won't.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    They take off around 8:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Theory, I live 25 minutes from Amicalola Falls and about 30 minutes from the Hiker Hostel. I can pick you up at the airport and take you to either place on Saturday. I have done this before for hikers and it is not a big deal. I think of it as my way of giving back to the hiker community that has been good to me.

If you want to consider this option, send me a PM and I will give you my number.

OnlyJohn

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    From What they tell me via email from noon to about 1pm earliest pick up.

As their schedule is to drop all those going to trail that day then drive to MARTA station to pick you up.
    And any others coming in that day.

Sorry about the above - miss read on it.
    This was pick up from Marta.

Yes. HH drops start at 8:30 depending on who is going where.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++