WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default UBER From The Airport To Springer Mountain?

Has anybody done this? Can you share your thoughts. From what I can tell, if this is entirely possible that it should be around the exact same price as using The Hiker Hostel (give or take a few dollars.) Let me know if I am wrong though. I just can't seem to book a flight that makes it easy to use The Hiker Hostel as I will likely be arriving very early in the morning (4 am) and I don't see why I would want to ride two hours back to the hostel and waste a full day there when I can just head straight to the trail.

If I've posted this in the wrong selection of if there is another thread already discussing this I apologize.

Thanks for your help!

Seems like the great question is: Will an Uber be available to pick you up at 4am?

#greatwhitenorth

El Sordo
    Images

you can check on the price for Uber online. be prepared for a shock.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Journal Entries

Its a 180 mile round trip for a driver from airport.
    What do you think it should cost?

Id expect $150+

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Fly into Atlanta. MARTA up to North Springs. Stay at one of hotels near the station. And book a shuttle up to Springer in the morning.

I highly doubt an UBER will drive up USFS 42 especially at night. Plus the cost of an UBER ride for the distance to Springer would be TOO HIGH.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Just do it. YOLO

I'd be surprised if they would drive to top of springer....or you doing approach trail? I'm like you stop on way get food, mini Bic and fuel....hit the trail maybe spend the $ at another hostel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, when I calculate it online the fee for UberX is $77-90. That's from Heartsfield to Amicalola Falls State Park.

Can somebody verity that I calculated this correctly? Thanks!

If you are thru hiking and it lines up with my schedule I will do it for free meeting you at North Springs station. I can drop you off at Springer or Amicalola. It will have to be a weekend for it to work on my end.

El Sordo
    Images

I don't know what the differences are, but here's what I found: Uberpool $60-74; Uberx $71-93; UberXL $172-227; Uberselect $184-244; UberBLACK $278-369; UberSUV $348-460.

This is for Hartsfield Airport to Amicalola State Park. I have no idea what the different levels mean.
    Dyslexics Untie!

It would be uberx.

$3.50 for a MARTA ride to North Springs from the airport, free transfer to bus to Mansell Park n Ride. Check uber price to Amicalola from there. If memory serves correct, there is a Walmart a few miles down Mansell if you need to resupply. Actually there may be a bus route that passes by the Walmart and you could check the price of uber from there. It would still be a hour ride on a weekend; good luck if you catch morning rush hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    If you are thru hiking and it lines up with my schedule I will do it for free meeting you at North Springs station. I can drop you off at Springer or Amicalola. It will have to be a weekend for it to work on my end.
    Thank you for the very kind and generous offer. I don't want to put you out like that though, again I will be arriving super late just past 4 am on a Saturday in late March, the 25th to be exact. I may just try to book a reservation with Hiker Hostel after all since I'm not sure an Uber will be super reliable.

As others have said, either way take the train from the airport to North Point Station.

If your flight gets in at 4 am, you probably will have been up all night. If your coming from NV, you'll loose 3 hours so 4 am Atlanta will feel like 1 am to you. By the time you get to the park your body will think it's 3 am. Do you really want to immediately start hiking?

What's the current rate for the Hiker Hostel? Is it still about $80? If so, for what you pay for a UBER ride, you get to spend a restful day and get a nice breakfast in the morning before heading out. The only flaw with that plan is you'd have to hang out in Atlanta until a reasonably hour for them to go get you (and anyone else showing up that day, which is likely to be a full house).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If your flight gets in at 4 am, you probably will have been up all night. If your coming from NV, you'll loose 3 hours so 4 am Atlanta will feel like 1 am to you. By the time you get to the park your body will think it's 3 am. Do you really want to immediately start hiking?

What's the current rate for the Hiker Hostel? Is it still about $80? If so, for what you pay for a UBER ride, you get to spend a restful day and get a nice breakfast in the morning before heading out. The only flaw with that plan is you'd have to hang out in Atlanta until a reasonably hour for them to go get you (and anyone else showing up that day, which is likely to be a full house).
    Good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    $3.50 for a MARTA ride to North Springs from the airport, free transfer to bus to Mansell Park n Ride. Check uber price to Amicalola from there. If memory serves correct, there is a Walmart a few miles down Mansell if you need to resupply. Actually there may be a bus route that passes by the Walmart and you could check the price of uber from there. It would still be a hour ride on a weekend; good luck if you catch morning rush hour.
    Marta on the Red line to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

I agree - but Hiker Hostel may not be able to get you at Marta till noon.

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    At N Springs MARTA could also #141 bus it to Winward Park and Ride adjacent to HWY 400. Same applies with a Kroger, Costco, and WalMart within 1/2 mile with east walking. I do it regularly as well as many other commuters.

Really though, this has been so anal-yzed here. Least hassle as well as a damn good cost for those flying into Atlanta is the Hiker Hostel Thru-hiker deal with the extras including door to door shuttle(S) is roughly the same price as UBER. Good luck getting UBER to do a Atlanta AP or N Spgs to AF SP or FS Rd Springer Parking lot. Even taking G Hound to Gville GA from the AP and then arranging a shuttle from there is roughly the same. Arranging for a shuttle with other hikers helps reduce individula shuttle cost. That's not new info. It's been said umpteen times in a much wider range of sources than just WB.

IMHJO(in my honest judgemental opinion) if $15-20 is that much a hassle to invest on the front end of a long hike/thur-hike with Hiker Hostel or alternative shuttler, no matter how frugal one sees it, it's not a great sign of pre hike preparation or the mentalitry that it commonly takes to do a thru-hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    I agree - but Hiker Hostel may not be able to get you at Marta till noon.
    Ok then arrange your flight and MARTA ride(like every 15 mins from the AP) to N Springs to coincide with a less time consuming flow of transfers. It's what travelers do. Hartsfield Jackson in Atlanta is the busiest AP in the world. People all the time from all walks of life spend time in APs as they travel awaiting transfers. This AP is exceptional for awaiting transfers much like any large U.S. AP. About time some folks understand and accustom themselves that everything isn't instantaneous. A thru-hike demands patience and endurance. Use time wisely without having the entitled expectancy that everything functions according to ones's own way. No AT hiker should start their hike assuming they are levitating above the rest of society. Not that this may apply to anyone reading this thread. This is being responsible for your hike a critical key component of HYOH that isn't spoken about enough.

Another option to making best use of your time getting from the AP to N Sprs is getting off the MARTA Red Line which is the train route you're on at Sandy Springs Station. Practically across the street from the station is an REI to get canisters, buy a pocket knife, trail food, get that last piece of gear you forgot about, etc. Get right back on the regular Red Line train north to the very nearby N Sprgs station.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++