Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Danger Hype

I will skip road walks where i am able. I will have my dog on a leash but i stay away from walking on roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post
    . . . i stay away from walking on roads.
    Yeah, good luck with that. :-)
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Yeah, good luck with that. :-)
    Thank you! I know it will be tough to do at times but if the option to go around is there i will take it.

Images

Tag team trolling?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

GAME 06

Alpine

Once again, no disrespect.

I figured you may have been a SEAL from what you said earlier. I spent a good part of my life working with SEALs, Special Forces and others of similar occupations. I am fully familiar with your and their capabilities. But..

There is a big difference between 40 some degree water and water just above freezing. No one survives in that kind of water for long...period. In water just above freezing unconsciousness comes at about 15 mins and one loses motor function much sooner than that - so yes a bit more than a min or two, but not a lot more. At temperatures above 40 degrees one has 4-5 times as long. The BUDS schools certainly know what they are doing and know exactly how far they can push people. They would never put candidates in water just above freezing and try and put them through the same set of drills you went through.

The great dangers in crossings are getting trapped against rocks, stuck between them, stuck against a strainer. In those circumstances it is quite possible for anyone not to have the strength to pull themselves out of the water. And in snow melt water which is much colder than 40 degrees and moving across you at speed sucking away your heat one will go hypothermic very quickly.

In any case you cannot expect the average person to be capable of what you can do nor should they perceive risks the same way you might be comfortable doing. Given the training you have been through I have no doubt you would survive a lot longer than the average person. But you have to also realize that the average person would not do any where near as well as you. I have done a lot of things the average person would have been foolish to do (and maybe I was as well) but I was very capable physically then, had lots of experience, and I was born lucky (I am only here because of that innate luck). I never encourage anyone to do those kind of things and always provide advise on the side of caution as I don't want any responsibility for anything unfortunate which might befall them.

I am also pretty old now and kind of marvel I made it this far. I am pretty careful now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++