Default Muir Trail Ranch property line

Does anyone know if Muir Trail Ranch owns property on the other side of the South Fork San Joaquin river? I was thinking of picking up my resupply package in the late afternoon and then just crossing the river to camp somewhere on the other side (I know the river may be a challenge to cross).

Images

Don't know about the property line but there is a hot spring and a warm lake on the other side that I visited during my JMT hike. On my PCT hike, it would have suicidal to try crossing that river which will likely be the case this year as well. (that is a large drainage and has an order of magnitude more water than the evolution creek crossing that you will cross a few miles prior.) There is a large camp site very close to MTR and a bunch back near the southern junction of the PCT and the trail to MTR.

I would monitor whether MTR will in fact be open when you expect to go through. MTR, Reds and TM are all closed in mid to late June in 2011.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

If MTR is open they will tell you where you can camp 1/4 away from them. There is a large campsite on their side of the river. If you want to go to the hot springs you will need to cross the river.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There's a grove of pine trees located between Shooting Star Meadow and the 1.5 mile trail that connects MTR with JMT (SOBO). It's located about 1/4 mile south of MTR, and with the ground covered with pine straw, it makes an ideal LNT campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Don't know about the property line but there is a hot spring and a warm lake on the other side that I visited during my JMT hike.
    That meadow is exactly where I'm talking about.

It's great to know that I can camp 1/4 mile away from them but without knowing where "them" stops it does me know good. Is the other side of the river still them? Do they own that meadow (not the one with the paid hot spring hots but the one across the river).

I don't think they own that meadow but when you'd be going through in June I bet it will be marshy/damp in several places. In other places the thick grass clumps are rather, well, clumpy. Back by the warmish(NOT hot) pond Malto spoke about at the base of the escarpment there's possibly a bivy site. Others have directed you well to nearby campsites with the one HKDK spoke my favorite nearby.

These hot springs are overrated IMO.- small, just small holes in the ground, not real hot,... Better to go to Mono Hot Springs where you can mail their package to their resort or nearby USPO and enjoy a better hot springs.

San Joaquin S Fork will likely be flowing faster than usual this yr in late spring/early summer where the ford is made.

I'd also emphasize double checking MTR opening dates and services this yr long before I relied on using them as a resupply pt.

++ New Posts ++