WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Site Knowledge Wanted

So I will be doing a section hike 4/9-4/14 Any info to share on these planned stopping points. Will be tenting trying to stay out of the mouse houses.
    Springing Shelter area night one
    Hickory Flats Cemetery night two
    Devils Kitchen area is about where I think we will stop night three*
    Woody Gap area night four*

Wood's Hole night five

*these are the ones I can find the least info on

Again thanks for sharing all you know

Not familiar with the Devils Kitchen name. I'm guessing it is somewhere near Justus Creek?

As for the rest, plenty of spaces at Springer shelter or on top of the summit (no campfires up there).
    Hickory Flats has lots of room, or you can just throw your bag on a picnic table under the picnic shelter.
    If you are talking about Justus Creek, the tent sites there are good.
    Woody Gap, I would recommend keep going until you get to the top of Preacher's Rock. There are several great tent sites behind the rock face.
    Wood's Hole, or more specifically Bird Gap, has many tenting areas.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsy View Post
    So I will be doing a section hike 4/9-4/14 Any info to share on these planned stopping points. Will be tenting trying to stay out of the mouse houses.
    Springing Shelter area night one
    Hickory Flats Cemetery night two
    Devils Kitchen area is about where I think we will stop night three*
    Woody Gap area night four*

Wood's Hole night five

*these are the ones I can find the least info on

Again thanks for sharing all you know
    Do you have a guidebook to use as a tool? If your intent is to stay clear of shelters, there are some better established campsite-only places that have bear cables, privy, etc. It looks like you want to average 8-10 miles a day. Also- if you are unaware, staying at Woods Hole Shelter during April overnight requires the use of a bear can.

Here is an alternative stay that would be easier to research. These sites are very close in proximity to the ones you listed, plus by staying there, you are at established sites and containing your impact on land:

Day 1: Springer Mountain Mile 0.0
    Day 2: Hawk Mountain Campsite (new- all tenting w/ privy, water, bear box) Mile 7.4
    Day 3: Justus Creek/Devils Kitchen Campground Mile (tent pads, water) 14.4
    Day 4: Lance Creek Campground (water/bear cables- last good place to camp before bear can regulation) Mile 24.2
    Day 5: Neel Gap- you can tent behind Mountain Crossings or walk 1.1 miles to Bull Gap (dry camping, lots of tent space) Mile 31.4 (Neel Gap) or mile 32.5 (Bull Gap)

Neel Gap is also a great place to get picked up, arrange a shuttle, etc. It's a good place to end your hike.
    Last edited by capehiker; 02-11-2017 at 20:39.

Excellent advice from Capehiker. I second the motion.

++ New Posts ++