WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good Books to read about hiking the AT

I love to hike, but it is tough in the cold PA winters so I read about hiking. I am currently reading (second time through) "Lost on the Appalachian Trail" by Kyle Rohrig. I love it! But now I am searching for another good book about hiking the AT (my longing). I see some on Amazon, but I thought I would ask first..does anyone have any opinions on good books about hiking the AT?

Images

The Barefoot Sisters : Southbound and their follow up flip flop return home hike entitled " Walking Home " were both well written books on hiking the AT.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I loved Grandma Gatewood's Walk. AWOL on the Appalachian Trail is good. At one hostel i enjoyed reading an unusual memoir of a hike in the early 70s, As Far as the Eye Can See, featuring crazed violent hillbillies. The hostel owner assured me that Erwin was no longer as bizarre as it was portrayed in this book.
    A remarkable hiking book I'm reading now that's not about the AT is Walking the Amazon.

There is a books forum with links to free books each week too.

As Far as the Eye can See, by David Brill, is about a 1979 thru hike. It's the finest AT book I've read. Brill's description of experiencing spring on the AT is pure genius. In fact, I consider the book literature. It's that good.

The Appalachian Trail: A Journey of Discovery, by Jan Curran, is about an early '90s thru hike by a just-retired Army colonel in his early 50s. Some people don't like Curran, because of his no-nonsense, military demeanor, but I really like his writing. He began in June and reached Harper's Ferry in August. He finished the hike the following year and wrote a sequel.

When I'm on the AT, I enjoy reading pure excellent fiction. Some that have been fun: Clancy's Red Storm Rising and Patriot Games, a western called The Unforgiven (I don't recall the author), Crichton's Jurassic Park and Andromeda Strain, and Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.

I third the support of As Far as the Eye can See.

I'd recommend Endurance, about Shackleton's failed attempt to cross the South Pole. Guys sleeping in slush for months on end, truly embracing the suck. Just reading it will toughen you up.

I really enjoyed Awol on the AT. Still reading Barefoot Sisters. OK and I'll be the 1st to admit it, I liked A walk in the woods.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Books are great, & I've read several, but I also love reading the trail journals every year. Some people just report their miles, weather, & people they are hanging out with. Others are writing their own book and it just hasn't been published yet.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I liked Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery, Appalachian Trials, and Hiking Through (a bit too religious for me, but still good)

Images

Three hundred Zeros.

Jennifer Pharr-Davis's books......
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

"Wheres the Next Shelter?" by Gary Sizer

crushing it on amazon and just got into Barnes and Noble in Ashville.....go Green Giant!!

There is a young adult fiction called Halfway to the Sky by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. It is about a teenage girl who tries to run away on the AT. As a former middle school teacher I had my kids read it and learn a little bit about the AT, and then we would take an overnight field trip at an outdoor adventure type place or have a camp out at school. For what it is, I thought it good enough and suprisingly realistic.

Images

"Walking Home" by Kelly Winters. Provides an interesting view from a woman's perspective on hiking the AT.
    Simple is good.

I've read many of these books...

"as far as the eye can see" by David Brill runs a close second for me, but my favorite is "a walk in the woods" a very funny light read, with some history and science thrown in.

Images

For a bit of a historical perspective, and to get an idea of what the AT used to be like, read "Walking with Spring" by Earl Shaffer, and "Appalachian Hiker" by Ed Garvey.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I have read everything I could and I really enjoyed this one.
    So I give a PLUS 1 for
    Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery - A Slice of Life on the Appalachian Trail

Images

Then the Hail Came, by George Steffanos, is always my favorite AT journal read. It's online only, at this link.

+1 on the David Brill book.

For something completely different, I like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, by Stephen King.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++