WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping bags w/pad sleeves

I am thinking about trying a bag with a integrated pad sleeve. Is it a gimmick?

I've seen Big Agnes, Nemo, and I can't tell from pics but it looks like maybe thermarest quilts have it too?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Images

I sleep better in a true quilt, you can wrap it right around you, instead of being limited by the width of the pad.

Some people love pad sleeves because they keep the pads in place. Other people, like me, don't like the pad sleeves because they roll around with their bag instead of in their bag. For me, when I roll from side to side I like to roll my bag with me, not roll inside my bag. Personal choice. In my case, I do have to re-position myself to stay on my pad when I am rolling around. Some people hate fighting to stay on their pad and thus love the sleeves.

I've also heard people complain about cold spots along the lower edges of their Big Agnes bags that don't have any insulation on the bottom, just a pad sleeve.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Good to know about the lack of foot insulation in the BA bags.

I want to see if the Thermarest quilts have a sleeve in them. That looks like a perfect setup to me.

Others than that I am going to check out the Nemo bags

I have Big Agnes summer and winter (15 degree) bags and love them. Nothing I hated more than rolling or sliding off my pad during the night, only to wake up to a terribly sore hip from sleeping on the ground! I have been in the winter bag down to about 20 degrees and have never noticed any cold spots. My feet stayed toasty once they initially warmed up!

++ New Posts ++