WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Holiday Lake 50K+

Took on the 22nd running of the Holiday Lake 50k+ in Appomatox, VA this weekend. Dr. David Horton, notorious ultra-runner, AT and PCT speed hiker, and over all nice fella really knows how to put on an event. We got lucky with great weather - 38F at the start, warming up to 61F by Noon. A calf deep stream crossing at miles 7 & 25 on this out and back course kept the feet cooled down on this rather fast course that would normally have some snow, making it more of a challenge. With aid stations every 4 miles, and fun trails a good time was had by all!

If you are anywhere nearby, add this to your list for next year. Make plans to attend the pre-race diner. Plenty of good food, and a lot of Patagonia stuff given out.
    Last edited by Patchy; 02-13-2017 at 13:39.

have you run the MMTR?

Not yet, but will this fall. I'm taking on all 6 races of the Beast Series this year. Going to be an awesome experience!

I'd like to do this one someday, since it's supposed to be one of the easier ultras and I've never done one. You did get lucky with the weather.

Where there any extra Horton miles?

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Where there any extra Horton miles?
    at the MMTR 50 miler there's 4 extra Horty miles

It was a fast course. Highly recommended for a 1st ultra. There were over a dozen that stated this was their first at the pre-race diner. Good Times!!!

Always extra miles.... I don't wear a GPS. I manage what comes my way. It is what it is and all that... best way to enjoy the course IMO.

Terrapin Mt March 17th, and Promised Land is up next April 29th. Plenty of slots open for registering... anyone?

http://www.eco-xsports.com/events/terrapin/

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=44396

Promised Land is supposed to be a beautiful course - with Dr. Horton as the Race Director I'm sure it's plenty challenging too.

The weather was unreal. I started in shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt, but could have just gone with short sleeves. Very comfortable the whole way through. Just wish I'd had more time to train for long distance. The second loop was -rough- this time, about 23 minutes slower than the first one. Hopefully I'll be a little better prepared for Terrapin next month.

When you get to Promise Land in April, take it easy on the first four miles. They are very steep and if you push too hard you'll pay for it severely 20+ miles later when you get to the climb up the falls. Lesson learned from experience...
    Last edited by CalebJ; 02-14-2017 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    at the MMTR 50 miler there's 4 extra Horty miles
    Holiday Lake stays pretty close to the 50k designation. I measured it at 31.5, others recorded as much as 32.5. Nothing like the extra miles at PL or MMTR.

Caleb - thanks for the heads up about Promised Land. I've had a few courses through the bigger hills at the end. Fun stuff!! C ya' on the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
    Took on the 22nd running of the Holiday wood Lake map 50k+ in Appomatox, VA this weekend. Dr. David Horton, notorious ultra-runner, AT and PCT speed hiker, and over all nice fella really knows how to put on an event. We got lucky with great weather - 38F at the start, warming up to 61F by Noon. A calf deep stream crossing at miles 7 & 25 on this out and back course kept the feet cooled down on this rather fast course that would normally have some snow, making it more of a challenge. With aid stations every 4 miles, and fun trails a good time was had by all!

If you are anywhere nearby, add this to your list for next year. Make plans to attend the pre-race diner. Plenty of good food, and a lot of Patagonia stuff given out.
    Hi
    can you share the map of that lake because i am planning a trip over there so it would be better for me
    Thanks in advance

This shows the full course, but it may give you what you need:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/862937064

++ New Posts ++