WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default International Long Distance Trails?

Just curious if anyone has any tips on any accessible international options as an alternative to the AT, PCT or CDT? Looking for something that is 1000-2000 mi in length. Relatively wild, such as requiring tentiing. I am not looking for one of the hut to hut hike options that seem to be prevelant in Europe. Also something with fairly accessible resupplies.

Immediately, the Te aurora in New Zealand comes to mind. Anything similar in the northern hemisphere that would accommodate a start date sometime between april-june?

Well, you've imposed a fair number of constraints. In general, "relatively wild" requires open spaces with limited population. Almost by definition, you are limiting yourself to the new world (Canada, United States, Australia, New Zealand, etc). In Europe, there's not as much population density in Scandavia, but I understand that they still have hut-to-hut hiking. The other constraint is the timeframe from April-June. Even in the US, there are damned few trails that you can hike in April, and those that can be hiked in April are north-south long trails that are not at high altitude. In Europe, you probably cannot hike very many trails in April because the most interesting ones will be covered in snow until May or June (just like in the US).

That being said, I have done long hikes in the Pyrenees twice. It is true that it is less wild than in the US because there are normally villages within 3 or 4 miles of the trail on most days. And it is also true that there are many mountain huts at which you can get a meal or spend the night. However, the vistas are outstanding and you can always choose how often you go into town and how often you visit a staffed mountain hut. There are many more people than you would see in the western US, but even trails like the AT or the Adirondacks have that many people.

Personally, from an international perspective, I think about hiking the GR5 trail in France, the Lycian Way in Turkey, the Israel National Trail, and as you mentioned, Te Aurora in New Zealand. For me, the most like of those in the short term is the GR5 and then perhaps the Lycian Way. My spouse would freak out if I chose to hike in Israel and New Zealand is really out of the way.

Good luck in finding a beautiful hike. Keep an open mind and remain flexible!

There is a new trail that actually combines some others that starts in Norway, goes through Sweden, down through Germany I believe and hooks into trails there. I don't remember the name but remember it as being around 7,000 miles long.

The Pyrenees HRP is around 500 miles and takes about a month and a half as it is quite steep and not much flat walking.

The Via Dinarica White trail is 1280 kms (850 miles? aprox) and I'll be hiking it this coming summer along with another triple crowner. (and a few others) We hope to write a guidebook. Or at least a data book as it is a brand new trail (2 years old) and only 10-15 people have thru-hiked it so far. We are figuring on 2 months. (starts in Slovenia and ends in Albania)

My old business partner hiked the Israeli trail about 20 years ago. I believe he said it is about 500 miles long.

Good thread. I'll be watching for more. I can't take the crowds on the AT and PCT anymore. Have to find new stuff.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Here's that long one from Norway to Italy (Mediterrainian sea).
    Called E1
    https://www.traildino.com/trace/cont...ails/trails-E1

It says 7,000 kms but they then added Norway's 2,105 more, so about 5200 miles (like the PCT and CDT put together?)
    It all looks fantastic and maybe has to go on my bucket list.

Why does it have to be international and start so early? If I'm too nosy I apologize.
    http://www.greatdividetrail.com/discover-the-gdt/
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

INT , Israel National Trail . 1100 Kms ( 700 mils ) , Its an unique trail that crossing israel South to North.
    I hiked the INT last year as a preparation to my Thru - Hiking The AT. ( Flip Flop H.F May 6)
    http://www.tiuli.com/israel_trail.asp

Rules out Australia our longest, except for the BNT, is 1000 km. All our trails have limited resupply usually you need to cache at least some food or be prepared to carry up to 12 days food. Apr - June is also autumn and that means water also becomes a problem. The Bibbilbum in Western Australia is 1000km, Australian Alpine Walking Track 650 km. The Bicentennial National Trail, BNT, is 5200 kms long but was designed for horses not walkers. The majority is along roads of one sort or another, it doesn't usually go through National Parks as horses are banned in most, resupply is a big problem as is water. Water is probably the biggest limiting factor for trails here, we are the driest continent after all.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

It's not the length you want at only 270miles, but the Kungsleden (The Kings Way) in northern Sweden checks all other boxes. It's definitely on my list to hike.

you can hike the INT with Google - https://www.google.com/intl/iw/stree...national-trail

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    It's not the length you want at only 270miles, but the Kungsleden (The Kings Way) in northern Sweden checks all other boxes. It's definitely on my list to hike.
    Yes, I also want to do this one, especially the northern section starting from Abisko TS. I will be in Sweden in June, but not for hiking (alas). However the northern end of Kungsleden might be tough in April. It's at latitude 250 further north than Fairbanks AK. You need to wait until July for the snow to melt. You could do it on skis in the winter. Not sure when skiing season ends. Winter does not keep the Scandinavians inside.

While many European trails (including Kungsleden) are set up for hut to hut hikers, in Norway and Sweden you don't have to use the huts if you don't want to. Both of these countries have freedom to roam laws, so you can hike and camp on undeveloped and uncultivated land almost anywhere you want - no permits - no fees - with very few restrictions. There are no border crossing restrictions so you could just get a map, take a train to a trail head, and start walking anywhere along the Norway-Sweden border. Some areas are pretty remote, but there are also plenty of villages and hut for resupply. And the huts have saunas!

Just follow the dotted lines.

https://www.ut.no/kart/

http://ext-webbgis.lansstyrelsen.se/...6929.474846014

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Why does it have to be international and start so early? If I'm too nosy I apologize.
    Wayne

Thanks for all the info, I will check out all of the trails that have been suggested. In regards to questions on constraints.... My wife and I have 3-6 months we can take of this spring, starting in April/May. We are planning on doing the AT, which would be amazing. However, we have both spent time in the southeast and intermountain region, and since we are not really sure when and if we will get this much time off again, we just started considering doing something a little more out there, and perhaps combine it with some international travel.

Quote Originally Posted by bfox View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I will check out all of the trails that have been suggested. In regards to questions on constraints.... My wife and I have 3-6 months we can take of this spring, starting in April/May. We are planning on doing the AT, which would be amazing. However, we have both spent time in the southeast and intermountain region, and since we are not really sure when and if we will get this much time off again, we just started considering doing something a little more out there, and perhaps combine it with some international travel.
    Also, the time frame depends on money.... in that the less we spend the longer the trip will last! This is why I was less interested in any hut to hut hiking that would require paying for room and board each night.

Round trip transportation pays for weeks on the CDT.
    You could easily start NOBO in April. This year might require bypassing Colorado early as folks did a couple years ago.
    The CDT would be like a whole other country if you haven't visited the less developed areas.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I forgot "international transportation" in the first sentence.
    Wayne

Wayne

If you want wild and ever have time off in July/august, that is an option. I have done parts of this trail and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't specifically pick it for a thru-hike (as a first option) even though I'm in the area once a year or so. Main season doesn't really start until July, lasts at most a couple months, and can be unpredictable at any time. Mud, some bushwhacking, lightning risk, wild river crossings and black/grizzlies bears are around (not a big issue, but a bother for some). The definition of fun for some, a nightmare for others

Come to think of it, April and May are good times to go trekking in Nepal (the rainy season starts in June). Air fare is relatively cheap now and if you trek independently in Nepal, it can be very affordable. Resupply would be difficult in that there are no Walmarts. But if you trek in the tea house areas, you can stay in tea houses on some nights and camp other nights. Or just stay in tea houses only and you won't need much gear. It will be much more rustic than NZ or Europe and elevation can be a problem for some people (and everyone who doesn't acclimate correctly). But trekking to Everest Base Camp is a classic hike. You can also trek through the lower elevations to make a longer trek and see the less touristy parts of the country - other ethnic areas - other ecosystems.

You should be able to find a section of Canada's The Great Trail to meet your needs.
    https://thegreattrail.ca/stories/how...p-has-arrived/
    Around 14,864 miles of connected trails.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

I'd like to clear something up about European culture.
    Yes, they like to hike hut to hut style.
    But it is not mandatory (in many countries)
    When we hiked the HRP (Pyrenees high route), there were huts spaced apart on an average of 1 or 2 per day.
    We NEVER slept in any of them.
    We tented out every night.
    Here is a picture from one of those nights:
    IMG_0075.JPG

Now I am presently in the process of planning a trip to the Balkans to hike the Via Dinarica trail, which also has a hut system.
    Many blogs I've been reading have hikers sleeping in tents or bivouac. (definitition of that in Europe seems to mean, sleeping out in tent or bivvy, and leaving early in the morning)

There are different categories of huts also. In Eastern Europe (Balkans), There are 3: Cathedral is a managed hostel with fees. 2/ Kuka is open only on weekends and cost about 9 Euros. Skloniste are simple cabins and are free.

It's not illegal to sleep in tents
    It's just not the European way.
    They prefer to have someone serve them a bottle of wine and sleep in a bunkroom.

Different countries may have different rules but the one's I've hiked in, we were allowed to camp in tents.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I'd like to clear something up about European culture.
    Yes, they like to hike hut to hut style.
    But it is not mandatory (in many countries)
    When we hiked the HRP (Pyrenees high route), there were huts spaced apart on an average of 1 or 2 per day.
    We NEVER slept in any of them.
    We tented out every night.
    Here is a picture from one of those nights:
    IMG_0075.JPG

Now I am presently in the process of planning a trip to the Balkans to hike the Via Dinarica trail, which also has a hut system.
    Many blogs I've been reading have hikers sleeping in tents or bivouac. (definitition of that in Europe seems to mean, sleeping out in tent or bivvy, and leaving early in the morning)

There are different categories of huts also. In Eastern Europe (Balkans), There are 3: Cathedral is a managed hostel with fees. 2/ Kuka is open only on weekends and cost about 9 Euros. Skloniste are simple cabins and are free.

It's not illegal to sleep in tents
    It's just not the European way.
    They prefer to have someone serve them a bottle of wine and sleep in a bunkroom.

Different countries may have different rules but the one's I've hiked in, we were allowed to camp in tents.
    England is one of the few, I believe, that doesn't permit "wild camping". It's not legal to camp on public land unless you are in a designated camp ground. Of course, you can stealth camp and try not to be seen which some people do. It's legal in Scotland though, and I'm not sure about Wales but think it is the same as England.

Wayne

Great Divide Trail is an incredible wild trail, but you can't start until mid-July at the earliest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++