WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Backpacking PA Section 4 Route 309 to Port Clinton this weekend, any suggestions?

I may be backpacking PA section 4, Route 309 to Port Clinton this weekend with a small group. The weather forecast seems mild for this time of year. Can anyone comment on which direction is best, water supply and the shelters? It looks like Eckville and Windsor Furnace Shelter are the shelters to use. (We would use tents or hammocks.) If this seems too short, we could add miles from section 3, perhaps parking at Bake Oven Knob Road, and adding another 5 miles.

For parking, Rohland's indicates there is parking at a restaurant on Route 309. Can anyone comment on this? Maybe if it isn't safe to park at that end, we would hike north to south, park in Port Clinton, and take as shuttle to Route 309. In Port Clinton, there is parking at the railroad bridge. I saw this on a recent trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

I have parked at 309 and I feel it's safe. I can't speak on situations on the trail, I have not hiked section 4. I've done 3&5 so I need to do this part so I will look for an update on your trip. Enjoy, looks like a great weekend ! I'm riding motorcycles if weather is as good as they say. I only hike when temps are below 40 LOL...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You ask which direction is best.
    Depends if you prefer uphills to downhills I guess as Port Clinton is a very low point in elevation, and 309 crossing is near the top of the Blue Mountain.
    Personally, I like uphills, so would probably start at Port Clinton. There is a bar/restaurant at either end (Port Clinton Hotel and Gambrinis' at 309 (used to be the name, they may have changed it.
    Lots of rocks in this section.
    If you like them it is a quite scenic section with a few lookouts and Hawk Mt. sanctuary just north of Eckville.
    Eckville shelter is at a house. I don't know about hammocking there.
    I think if I was sleeping in a hammock, I would stay on the trail and away from the road noise.
    There is a nice campsite just north of Eckville (might be illegal though as it's in PA state game lands I believe)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, Fiddlehead and Hawk I, for the suggestions. Yes, I prefer uphills to downhills. I found the name of the restaurant now. It is Blue Mountain Summit. Instead of Eckville, we might go onto the Allentown shelter. That will leave less miles for Monday, and seems like a better mileage for a full day of backpacking.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

I am hiking that section NOBO this weekend. I've hiked from Port Clinton to Windsor Furnace--three weeks ago. Windsor Furnace is a nice shelter and plenty of room for hanging. If you park in Port Clinton, park at the little lot on Rt. 61 and not by the railroad station. There is no public parking there. I'll be parking at Lehigh Gap, shuttling to Hawk Mountain road, and hiking back to Lehigh Gap. Maybe I'll see you out there. BTW, the restaurant on 309 is Blue Mountain Summit. Ken is the owner and very hiker friendly. He is shuttling me.

I have parked at both the Blue Mountain Summit parking area and the railroad bridge parking in Port Clinton. Had no problem at either and felt quite safe.

QuietStorm: would have liked to join you this weekend as I need the section from 309 to DWG. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by cdk4091 View Post
    I have parked at both the Blue Mountain Summit parking area and the railroad bridge parking in Port Clinton. Had no problem at either and felt quite safe.

QuietStorm: would have liked to join you this weekend as I need the section from 309 to DWG. Enjoy!
    When I was there a few weeks ago there was no more parking at the railroad bridge. The lot was full of maintenance vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by cdk4091 View Post

I'll be out hiking Lehigh Gap to Wind Gap next weekend. Come join me if you're out there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I'll be out hiking Lehigh Gap to Wind Gap next weekend. Come join me if you're out there.

Quietstorm, I might like to join you next weekend, depending on the weather and work. I am working away at PA, NJ and CT sections. I would join you for the shuttle, if that works (share costs of course), and hike mostly on my own, as I hike slow (but steady). I'm a few years older. I may also need a shuttle this weekend. Do you have any idea if Ken would be available for a 2nd shuttle? Can you share his contact information? I used Craig from another place but he indicated he may be stopping his shuttle services. Thanks.

You're more than welcome to join me anytime. I usually hike solo but would more than welcome company at the shelters. Me told me he was busy in the afternoon Saturday but here is his #--570-952-5508. I'm going to hike SOBO instead of my original plan. The water situation is better closer to Allentown Shelter and Hawk Mountain. I would rather not have to carry water going the other direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

QuietStorm, I sent you a private message. If this works out OK for you, I would do the part I am missing another time (Hawk Mt to Port Clinton). Mostly I just want to take advantage of the mild weather, on parts I have not done yet. Thanks.

Sent you an email!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++