WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spoon or spork?

Default Spoon or spork?

I finally decided to get a long handle spoon for freezer bag eating. Currently I use either a long plastic spoon or a light my fire spoon/fork combo (plastic/lexan or whatever). So, I went tot he local hiking shop today to pick one up and noticed they had three hangers with the Sea to Summit spoons. One a regular size spoon and fork combo then 2 long spoons... or.......... wait??!!?? No, it's not 2 hangers of long spoons, it's a long spoon on one hanger and a long spork on the other. Oh, no... what do I do? Decisions, decisions...

So I ask, any real reason to get the spork? I feel like this will be a more versatile piece of equipment but... unless I'm at KFC, I would never use a spork.

So what say you? By the way, I bought both to try but thought you guys may have some insight! My kids or wife will end up with one of the two I am sure. TIA

I tried a spork...it left me irritated that I couldn't scoop up all the dregs of the food in the corners. I have yet to find a need for a spork

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

A spoon does one thing well. A spork does two things poorly

I still use a spork because it's what I bought when I started. I keep hoping I lose it so that I can justify buying something different.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

My son just HAD to have one of those spoon/fork/knife things when we were outfitting him for the scout troop.
    I rank that up there as just a bit better than a spork. You have a decent spoon + a fork that is ok but we know have a knife that cannot be used with the fork!

In case you can't tell, I am not a fan of the spork. (Not a good spoon) + (not a good fork) does not equal a good tool

I loathe the spork.
    Makes for a poor spoon and fork.
    I am NOT a LD hiker...never more than 10 days at a clip.
    But if I were I would carry a spoon AND a fork (or chopsticks).
    I sometimes carry out steak for the first night out. Eating steak with a spoon is just weird.

I had a folding titanium spork that I used for a year. I hated not being able to get deep into the freezer bag so I went Optiumus Long Handled Spoon for the last two years. I don't miss the spork and have never thought, "Gee, I wish I had that fork part to my spoon". I do know that I often think, "Man, am I glad that I got the shiny smooth part to the spoon. Feels so much better on my tongue". I also appreciate the light weight of the Titanium.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Spoon. No need for a spork.

Started with a plastic LMF spork. I was a little careless one night and ended up melting the darn thing. Bought a long titanium spoon and haven't looked back since.

Default Spoon or spork?

spoon, Titanium, with a long handle to eat out of Mountain House bags and such

Leonidas

Spoon, long handled to get all the white chocolate peanut butter out of the jar.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries
    Images

I hate my spork....harder to scrape up the last bits of food and clean my cup. Also I find it harder to mix powdery spices settled to the bottom of food I'm rehydrating or cooking.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Oh, come on. There's gotta be someone in these forums that likes sporks! How could they be so popular if nobody here likes them?

Here's my spiel: Eating raman with a spoon sucks. Eating ramen with a spork works reasonably well. And, that goes for other longish noodles as well.

So there, if you like noodles, you'll likely appreciate a spork, at least some of the time. The rest of the time, go with a good spoon. A metal spoon with a nice polished bowl rocks. I hate plastic spoons only because they bend when they're hot, so if you ever need to stir a boiling pot of noodles, you'll desperately wish you had a metal spoon. And, as for the polished bowl, you'll never now the mouth-feel joy you are missing until you try it. Then, you'll never go back. There is a reason your expensive dinnerware is polished!

If you want ultra-light, aluminum spoons are lighter than titanium. Titanium is a heaver and stronger metal than aluminum. Since an aluminum spoon is plenty strong, don't pay the weigh penalty for having a titanium spoon . . . unless of course, you are going for the polished bowl which is probably worth the extra weight.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Long handled spoon.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I had two sporks they both snapped in half for no apparent reason. Might have been the boiling water.

leeky spoon

Sea to summit long handled aluminum spoon. Has a sort of rounded square edge that contours cups or pots to help get the last bits of food and helps with the "washing" process.

The long handle keeps your fingers out of your food if you eat from a bag... or if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Sea to summit long handled aluminum spoon. Has a sort of rounded square edge that contours cups or pots to help get the last bits of food and helps with the "washing" process.

The long handle keeps your fingers out of your food if you eat from a bag... or if you don't.
    i just bring the same flat ware that I use at home, and fold the bags lip over.

...never leave a morsel begins.

Images

+1 on spoon vs. spork, but my trail diet does not include noodles. I've never done any sort of poll on the trail, but I don't personally see that many sporks out there. If I did eat noodles, I'd still carry a spoon (long handle, lexan plastic is my choice) and a tiny little plastic fork.

My long-handled titanium spoon is one of only two pieces of the original backpacking gear I was given that I still use.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    My long-handled titanium spoon is one of only two pieces of the original backpacking gear I was given that I still use.
    I gave my long handled spoon away, nothin' wrong with em, tried it...wasn't for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++