WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default End-to-End in early June

I plan on starting an end-to-end NOBO around the 6th of June. What should I expect in terms of number of people on the trail, weather and mud, and bugs?

I'd take a headnet for sure.
    Have fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I did that once, don't recommend it. Lots of snow this year, so expect lots of knee deep mud, lots of black flies and generally miserable conditions making you wish you were somewhere else.

Although it all depends on how quickly it warms up and how fast the snow melts and it it's a rainy May/June or not.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Oh yea, you'll be pretty much alone as no sane person hikes in Vermont in June.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Lots of snow this year, so it's likely it will be pretty muddy until at least late June. But if weather patterns change and there's a warm dry spring, you may have decent conditions. Hard to tell. I've hiked VT in June some years and it's been fine - other years it's been muddy until late summer. But for the most part the LT is always somewhat wet.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I grew up hiking the LT, we always started Memorial Day weekend, and some of those weekends we'd be stomping through some pretty hefty snowbanks. Apparently, there are trails out there in this big world that are dry and bug-free, with smooth treadway, blue sky, and beautiful women waiting at every campsite with warm food and cold beer.

Me, I hike the Long Trail in Vermont, through the mud and the bugs, with a big smile on my face, and when I'm done, all women look beautiful, all food tastes good, and the beer is cold. Any day on the trail is a good day.

Images

It's not clear that you mean SOBO. I started May 31. It was fine. Mud was not a big deal nor were black flies. And it's not crowded by 2017 standards. If you meant NOBO you'll be passing people every day and you'll have to to finish in time.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Oh yea, you'll be pretty much alone as no sane person hikes in Vermont in June.
    The southern 100 miles of the LT will have plenty of hikers. The number of early AT'ers and FlipFloppers are growing substantially.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

When I section-hiked the LT in 1977-81, I hiked Memorial Day weekend and beyond for 5 consecutive years. Only once - the first year 1977 - do I recall excessive mud. Only once - 1978 - were the black flies insufferable. As others have said, it depends on this year's spring and the progress of the snow melt.

There will be AT through-hikers on the trail from the southern terminus to the Maine Junction just north of Route 4. I believe that section of the trail is less crowded in June with AT hikers than in July and August. There will be day hikers on the trail at all popular and/or easily accessible summits.
    Vermonters hike in June but expect to encounter mosquitos and/or back flies especially near standing water. By June, the trail is not usually muddy, except in those places where it is muddy even in August.
    I found it difficult to hike in a bug net; however, it might come in handy for when you are sitting around for a rest or at night. The smoke from a campfire reduces bug activity.
    Enjoy your hike!

Thanks Jeff. I talked to you about a week or so ago about staying with you guys. Looking forward to it. I think that I saw your name on the AT Kickoff schedule for this weekend. I'll be up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The southern 100 miles of the LT will have plenty of hikers. The number of early AT'ers and FlipFloppers are growing substantially.
    Thanks Jeff. I talked to you about a week or so ago about staying with you guys. Looking forward to it. I think that I saw your name on the AT Kickoff schedule for this weekend. I'll be up for that.

Registered User Purposeful Wandering's Avatar

Hi! I stopped in to check-out the info. in this thread as I'm completing another section of the AT that will bring me to the LT in early June as well.

We've obviously had a lot of rain in New England this year and I'm curious if there are any updates regarding the condition of the trail at this time.

Thanks!

++ New Posts ++