WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    I should have been clearer -- ounces per square inch, not total weight. viz.

https://www.ursack.com/product/ursack-minor/ -- 5.28 ounces, and is 8 inches in diameter, 13 inches tall and holds about 650 cubic inches.

https://www.rei.com/product/846495/armored-outdoor-gear-ratsack-cache-food-storage-bag 10.5 oz. and has a 2,500 cu. in. capacity; medium bag weighs 8 oz. and has a 1,800 cu. in. capacity; small bag weighs 6 oz. and has a 1,200 cu. in. capacity

Thanks for the REi LINK. I just added it to my wish list. Stainless steel wire mesh. Kewl!

I was going to get the $50 Zpacks food bag hang kit but this is much better. It is see through and I'll put my food into OP sacks. I'm getting the Medium 19X18 and 29 liters vs the Zpacks 11Wx5.5x12.5 and 12.3L I was concerned about the size of the Zpacks anyway. This way I can put all my odor generating items in it. I sleep with my food and this will make it perfect if in a shelter with mice and such on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    The Ursack works best as a pillow. A little lumpy but you get used to it.
    I keep looking for a good pillow.

J

A girl last week got ants in her ursack... so you should still hang it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I used an Ursak Minor in 2012 for the northern third of the trail. I'd leave it against the wall on the ground near my head so I could grab snacks at night. I could hear mice chewing on it occasionally, but they always gave up and moved on to easier pickings. Never noticed any damage to it. I'd take it again for the whole trail.
    +1 have had similar good experience with it.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by macdiver View Post
    Thanks for the REi LINK. I just added it to my wish list. Stainless steel wire mesh. Kewl!

I was going to get the $50 Zpacks food bag hang kit but this is much better. It is see through and I'll put my food into OP sacks. I'm getting the Medium 19X18 and 29 liters vs the Zpacks 11Wx5.5x12.5 and 12.3L I was concerned about the size of the Zpacks anyway. This way I can put all my odor generating items in it. I sleep with my food and this will make it perfect if in a shelter with mice and such on the AT.
    I changed my mind and am going with the Zpacks bag after all. I think it was Bigfoot this said it resists mice and the cord it comes with is the best for hanging. I was concerned that the wire may come loose and damage something too. Check his PCT hang technique on You Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    A girl last week got ants in her ursack... so you should still hang it.
    While I fully understand this ; it just sounds dirty.

Journal Entries

Default Does an Ursack Minor really keep the critters out?

the bag does keep out rodents but the ziplock stopped working after 1800 miles

Have used the Ursack Minor for at least 10 years and >3000 trail miles as my go-to food bag and have never had a varmint get any food that was in it. In serious bear country it is hung (or I use a canister) but usually i just tie it up at head height to a tree. In an AT shelter I would hang it from a nail. I do use an OP sack inside of it, FWIW.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries

Default Does an Ursack Minor really keep the critters out?

used it the whole way 2017. the Velcro stopped working in southern Maine. no critters got to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++