WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default honey on the trail

i see many hikers carry honey on the trail. anyone have advise on how to carry this w/o too much weight? i'm concerned it's gonna be a mess.

Keep it in plastic wide mouth container. Surround with a ziplock bag. Don't bother in cold weather.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Honey Stinger gel packs. I enjoy them while hiking, or trail running.

Careful about sourcing your honey... cheaper supermarket brands contain HFCS = toxic.

Not that natural honey is anything more than fructose, which mostly converts to fat in your liver.

Honey packets. They're great for single servings. I usually bring along a bunch from Starbucks
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

I keep the honey in the container it came in as it's safer. I do put it in a Ziploc just in case though. So I look for the lightest, meaning smallest, container. So I normally buy the 8oz. plastic honey bear shaped bottle that has a flip cap.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Careful about sourcing your honey... cheaper supermarket brands contain HFCS = toxic.

Not that natural honey is anything more than fructose, which mostly converts to fat in your liver.
    That does not compute. High Fructose Corn Syrup is fructose and glucose. If HFCS = toxic, and honey is fructose, why isn't honey toxic?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    That does not compute. High Fructose Corn Syrup is fructose and glucose. If HFCS = toxic, and honey is fructose, why isn't honey toxic?
    This is a common nutrition-Nazi dogma, the anti-fructose/glucose/lactose thing (including HFCS). Ridiculous. Folks buy into whatever is popular on the net.

Any sort of sugar, whatever floats your boat, it's pretty much all the same really to you body, is vital when hiking long days. The body digests and uses it, it doesn't get "processed by the liver into fat" like someone claimed. Just make sure to eat most of your sugars while hiking, same the fats and proteins for dinners. I also like plenty of fats/proteins in breakfast, so these calories "last longer". But while hiking, eat "sugar" (or soft carbs, whatever) to keep you blood, er, sugar up. I love honey, but can't get by the mess part, so I don't carry it on the trail.

PS: in our "real lives", of course, sugars should be avoided, except when training.

Highly recommend Y.S. Eco Bee Farm raw honey. It's solid at room temp not runny and messy and comes in a plastic, wide-mouth container. Best of all, it tastes amazing.

Images

I gave this a try. Much less messy, and tastes like honey. Mostly. Leaves little "speck of something in your coffee. I'd rather have real raw honey. https://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Ho...s=honey+powder

You should keep it in a plastic wide-mouth container and it's good to go on the trails. Honey is a superb way to boost your energy when hiking, just add a tablespoon of honey to 8oz of water for a energy drink.
    Visit my blog HikerTrack to find useful tips for hiking, camping, survival skills and read thorough reviews about outdoor gears like best 10 person tent...

We can get squeeze tubes of honey in OZ don't know if you have them, I know I never saw them whilst there. I used individual sachets.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    We can get squeeze tubes of honey in OZ don't know if you have them, I know I never saw them whilst there.
    I think it's a DIY thing here. Luckily, it's easy to buy a jar of honey in town and pour the contents into one of these:

SqueezeTubes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Highly recommend Y.S. Eco Bee Farm raw honey. It's solid at room temp not runny and messy and comes in a plastic, wide-mouth container. Best of all, it tastes amazing.
    Yes, exactly what I bring---YS Eco Bee Farm raw honey. I usually order it on Amazon. One plastic container is about 22 ounces---and the container can be discarded in various way during the trip.

Here's a pic of my honey on a recent trip. I take alot of honey because it's used for all morning hot teas and replaces chocolate and snickers and junk sugary snacks when I get a sweet tooth going.

I also use this honey (16 ozs) which is available at my local grocery store---and also comes in a plastic jar (as does the peanut butter). And btw, honey is great too in the winter no matter the temps---it'll spoon out if you have a strong enough spoon.

Get one of those "honey bears" - a useful refillable squeeze container. Don't steal packets from gas stations, that's hiker trash - the bad kind.

Honey Bear lids tend to come off or open inside a pack---one of the banes of carrying honey esp in the summer.

A friend of mine had a "honey bear" which had been chewed up by a bear !
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I often think the best bear defense would be to toss him your honey jar right before an attack.

Images

I use either Nature Nates honey packets (I got mine at Wally World) or packets from ChickFilA

Never had a honey bear "blow" on me. So much less waste this way. Buy a jar in town, refill it, give the leftovers to another hiker, recycle jar. Much better than buying or stealing little plastic packages of it, and throwing them away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++