Default What's a nice FT section to hike near-ish to Jacksonville?

I'm looking for some suggestions for some nice FT sections to hike, in what I guess you might call the mid section of the trail.... reachable from near Jacksonville for weekend or long weekend type trips
    1-2 nights at first
    or 5 nights or so later

I'm wanting to get back into backpacking, ultimately to do some week long sections of the AT or BMT...someplace up in the mountains.
    It really doesn't interest me to hike flatlands all that much, but I do need some gear shakedown experience and some "practice hikes".

I know there are some beautiful and even hilly areas, over near ocala and up in the panhandle area too. I've tailgate camped and RV'd with the family in a few nice areas (O'Leno SP & Suwanee River SP come to mind). Maybe this experience will open my eyes more for Florida

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I'm looking for some suggestions for some nice FT sections to hike, in what I guess you might call the mid section of the trail.... reachable from near Jacksonville for weekend or long weekend type trips
    1-2 nights at first
    or 5 nights or so later

I'm wanting to get back into backpacking, ultimately to do some week long sections of the AT or BMT...someplace up in the mountains.
    It really doesn't interest me to hike flatlands all that much, but I do need some gear shakedown experience and some "practice hikes".

I know there are some beautiful and even hilly areas, over near ocala and up in the panhandle area too. I've tailgate camped and RV'd with the family in a few nice areas (O'Leno SP & Suwanee River SP come to mind). Maybe this experience will open my eyes more for Florida
    As far as the middle part of the state goes it's hard to beat the stretch of trail that runs from the Pruitt Trailhead all the way through Ross Prairie and past the land bridge into Santos on the southwest side of Ocala. Very rolling and scenic terrain, believe it or not there are even switchbacks on some of the hills which many of us who hike locally joke about. There is more up-and-down than you might think, on a recent 18-mile stretch through that section we accumulated over 500 feet of climbing and descending.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Engine; 02-16-2017 at 18:16.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

The Suwannee section is by far the best section near Jacksonville. Also Iron Bridge and Rice Creek are not bad. The trail near GoldHead and Camp Blanding is nice, but camping is limited.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    1-2 nights at first
    or 5 nights or so later

Ocala Section

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I can make timing work I'd be interested in doing the 65-70 mile section through ONF if you want to split a shuttle from Clear water lake or Rodman campground...I'm not looking for someone to hike with as planning on higher mpd as my vacation time is limited...20+ mpd....I live in Atlantic beach......ashamed to say haven't spent much time on the FT, I always head to the mountains to hike....I tend to paddle here and not hike....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been researching the ocala NF a bit more.
    Based on reading some trail journals it seems like this might be just about the longest stretch of trail without road walk on the FT. Does that sound right?

In the Ocala NF, can you camp anywhere (dispersed) or do you have to camp in designated sites?

We hammock and pretty much Camp anywhere on the FT but attempt to adhere to LNT practices.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Florida trail section close to jax

I live in Jacksonville beach and have been looking to do a section of the florida trail.

Logistically it looks Mike Roess State park to Camp Oceanpond (~50mile section ) would be easy to arrange shuttle. (all ~1hr away)

Or lake butler to camp ocean pond (~30mile section)

It does appear to be walking along a rail road track , which I don't think id mind too much. I am up for exploration and adventures sake.

Camp Friday night at ocean pond, leave one car, drive down to lake butler or mike roess ( EARLY SATURDAY) then hike back up to ocean pond camping Saturday night along the way, and arrive at ocean pond mid afternoon sunday .

all ~1 hr from Jacksonville.

I am a runner and athlete but can hike slow too.

anyone looking to partner up for a hike let me know. I might already be heading out 3/31-4/2 if anyone wants to join my buddy and I .
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

I just stumbled on your post, too late to join you for this weekends hike. But I live just outside Jacksonville, in Green Cove Springs. I have been wanting to get on the Florida Trail, (the AT is my favorite), Just keep myself out there hiking. I would be interested in joining up with you, I can even help with leaving a car at shuttling back. Keep posting your plans and hopefully it can work out. Let me know if you need a shuttle Gold Head is close to me.

We had good luck using the difference State Parks as a long term parking solution and then doing out and back hikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Following up on thread. I ended up Canoe camping on the SRWT ( Suwannee River Wilderness Trail ) . Friday,3/31 my buddy and I arrived at Stephen foster Cultural center SP in white springs, fl ~6:30PM and were on the water by 7 pm and paddled a little over a mile camping within the state park boundaries. We found a trash bin and a fire ring on a river bank and decided it would suffice.

The following morning we were on the water by 8am And paddled 26 miles to Holten creek river camp where we made reservations to stay in one of the screened in shelters.

we saw one other pair of canoe campers breaking down camp that morning. other wise the only other campers we saw were at the spirit of Suwannee and Suwannee springs. We paddled 8 am - 11am and took a 15 min break, then 11:15am to 2:30 pm for 45min break then 3pm to 7:15 pm. It was a long long Day but we had great weather.

Sunday morning on the water by 8am paddled ~5 miles and were packed in the shuttle van driving back to the truck by 10AM . I spotted our only gator of the trip this morning and we hear a pig/boar get killed on our way out of holten creek river camp. our shuttle driver later told us its a wounded war vet hunting ground.

The river camps are an excellent resource and the river it self is quite majestic. We felt as though we left Florida for the weekend. It was great to get out in the mild weather before bug season makes this much less enjoyable...
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

++ New Posts ++