WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Big Agnes 1 person fly creek vs. 1 person cooper spur?

I am starting my AT hike late March. I originally bought a 2 person cooper spur but realize that I need to cut down on weight even more. I'm now looking at the 1 person fly creek and 1 person cooper spur. The fly creek is 7oz. lighter. Any thoughts?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've borrowed a Fly Creek UL 1 for a weekend trip a few years ago. Main thing I didn't like about it was getting into it like a sleeping bag.

I used a Copper Spur UL2 for a JMT thru and loved it. Tons of space and I could bring ALL my gear with me into the tent (even boots to avoid critters chewing on laces).

Agree on the front vs. side entry. I own a CS UL1, use a 25"x78" pad and find the interior space to be adequate. I also bring my gear inside. The head room is marginal except at its peak. Interior pockets help with organization, the fly is very weather proof with a decent size vestibule. The pole system is will handle minor snow loads. I have found the fabric to be very waterproof, also own UL3 & UL4. Ventilation is good.

Journal Entries
    Images

Also agree on the CS1. Also an everything (boots, pack - there's always something that I want) in the tent guy.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I used a friends Fly creek ul1, I didn't like the entry and it seemed the walls sloped in to much. I then bought a copper sp ul1 and I liked it, but I wanted more room so I got the copper spur ul 2 and I love it . I like having two vestibules and more room and the weight wasn't that much more. (I can dump weight somewhere else ) I am only 5'3 weigh about 135 but I didn't want to be scrunched up in a tent if it was raining a lot. But if I had to pick between a fly c ul1 and a copper sp ul1 it would be the copper spur because of the side entry and free standing ability. My copper sp ul1 got a couple of tears in it and I called big agness because in five days I was supposed to be leaving on a trip. They told me ship it to them. They fixed it and they had back to me in time for me to go on my trip . Big Agness you rock !!!!

Images

IMO, saving 7 oz isn't worth being miserable in your tent. There's a point at which (for most of us anyway), carrying a little extra weight for comfort and convenience makes for a better experience. You're supposed to be having fun out there. Given the low weight of modern tents, cutting to the bone just isn't worth it. The Fly Creek gets pretty bad reviews on the entrance, especially in the rain. It also at least feels more confining than the CS UL1 based on comments from those who have used both tents. I just recently bought (on sale impulse purchase) a CS UL1 and my first reaction is it's small, but adequate for me as a solo hiker. I looked at a Fly Creek UL1 at the store and it feels much smaller even though the square footage is similar. Having lugged my share of 1 and 2 person 5 lb+ tents in the past, everything these days is pretty light. I'd stay with the CS UL1 or 2 if I were you.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I use the Fly Creek 1 for long hikes; for short / overnights I tote the Copper Spur UL2.....hate my Copper Spur UL 1 got stolen......

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    I use the Fly Creek 1 for long hikes; for short / overnights I tote the Copper Spur UL2.....hate my Copper Spur UL 1 got stolen......
    Did it get stolen on a hike?

If you can deal with front entry the Flycreek UL1 is an excellent tent.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockyiss View Post
    I used a friends Fly creek ul1, I didn't like the entry and it seemed the walls sloped in to much. I then bought a copper sp ul1 and I liked it, but I wanted more room so I got the copper spur ul 2 and I love it . I like having two vestibules and more room and the weight wasn't that much more. (I can dump weight somewhere else ) I am only 5'3 weigh about 135 but I didn't want to be scrunched up in a tent if it was raining a lot. But if I had to pick between a fly c ul1 and a copper sp ul1 it would be the copper spur because of the side entry and free standing ability. My copper sp ul1 got a couple of tears in it and I called big agness because in five days I was supposed to be leaving on a trip. They told me ship it to them. They fixed it and they had back to me in time for me to go on my trip . Big Agness you rock !!!!
    +1 on BA customer service. I had a little tear in the mesh over my CS1 door. They told me it would be a couple of bucks to repair but then didn't charge me anything. Did a much better job than I would have done and pretty quick too.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I use the Copper Spur UL 1 and love it. I'm a 5'4" lady and have plenty of room for me and my gear. I can sit up straight and can nearly be straight up when kneeling. Highly recommend! If you can make it to an REI, you can set up both of these tents in the store and crawl in to see which you like better. Good luck with finalizing your gear and getting out on the trail!

Agreed with 4eyed above IRT weight savings... you're going to hate a one man tent after a while..I have a Fly 2 and love the weight, but the entry does suck in the rain. I prefer it for weight when solo but would not be able to justify buying one if i already owned a CS2...

Where else are you adding so much weight you're worried about 7 oz?

usually these type questions come down to the individual hiker's preference for
    side entry vs. front entry tent

both are great tents, I have the UL Fly Creek-1, a few ounces lighter than the Copper Spur-UL1

but I liked the side entry of the Copper Spur better to be honest

if you are more inclined to cut ounces, go for the UL Fly Creek
    if you are more concerned about comfort and staying dry with entry/exit to the tent, get the Copper Spur

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SummitSistah View Post
    I am starting my AT hike late March. I originally bought a 2 person cooper spur but realize that I need to cut down on weight even more. I'm now looking at the 1 person fly creek and 1 person cooper spur. The fly creek is 7oz. lighter. Any thoughts?
    Are you interested in a trade? CS1 mtnglo for your CS2? Sent you a PM.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    IMO, saving 7 oz isn't worth being miserable in your tent. There's a point at which (for most of us anyway), carrying a little extra weight for comfort and convenience makes for a better experience. You're supposed to be having fun out there. Given the low weight of modern tents, cutting to the bone just isn't worth it. The Fly Creek gets pretty bad reviews on the entrance, especially in the rain. It also at least feels more confining than the CS UL1 based on comments from those who have used both tents. I just recently bought (on sale impulse purchase) a CS UL1 and my first reaction is it's small, but adequate for me as a solo hiker. I looked at a Fly Creek UL1 at the store and it feels much smaller even though the square footage is similar. Having lugged my share of 1 and 2 person 5 lb+ tents in the past, everything these days is pretty light. I'd stay with the CS UL1 or 2 if I were you.
    +1 - Agreed with this, though I use the CSII trading a few ounces for a little extra room for gear and the side entry door.

Quote Originally Posted by maineiac64 View Post
    did it get stolen on a hike?
    after a hike....left in a truck while hitchhiking after the shuttle driver broke down....never recovered....

I only use side entry shelters now. I often cook right outside the door in the morning so I can drink my coffee in bed. A lot more work with a front entry.

Side entry is my preference, extra weight is worth the convenience.

Thanks for the offer but I'm all set. I brought the cs2 back to REI and got a cs1.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SummitSistah View Post
    Thanks for the offer but I'm all set. I brought the cs2 back to REI and got a cs1.
    Cool. TY for the reply. Have a great hike!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++